Inside Brandon Beane's unlikely rise to Bills GM

Betting on himself: Inside Brandon Beane's unlikely rise to Buffalo Bills GM

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/06/betting_on_himself_the_untold_story_of_brandon_beanes_unlikely_rise_to_buffalo_b.html

Norwood, N.C. -- Brandon Beane probably thinks he can write a better story than this. He might even bet me a dollar.

Beane has betting on himself all his life. He picked NFL games against his teacher during his seventh grade history class. He bet his high school golf coach a drink and a candy bar during practice rounds. Even today, he can't pass the putting green at Dick's Sporting Goods without turning it into a competition. It never matters whether money actually changes hands. Beane just craves having something on the line.

"Since I knew who I was as a kid," Beane says, "it's just been in me."

Now Beane is putting everything on the line by leaving the Carolina Panthers to be the Buffalo Bills general manager. He's taking on the weight of a playoff drought, which has stumped five men before him over a span of nearly two decades.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe there's not a "show me the baby" comment yet.

Anyway, this was a great read and good insight into the new GM. Beane and McDermott seem like extremely focused individuals. I'm excited to see what they do here.

I can't believe there's not a "show me the baby" comment yet.

Anyway, this was a great read and good insight into the new GM. Beane and McDermott seem like extremely focused individuals. I'm excited to see what they do here.

SMTB!

A bit long, but a really good article. I echo the thoughts that Beane is a highly focused, passionate individual and it gives me renewed confidence in our FO. Didn't want to wait around to inherit the job at Carolina. Best quote at the end:

"I just felt something," Beane explained when asked why he took the job. "Seventeen years. These people are dying for a winner. I believe in myself ... I want nothing more than to watch this community go ape nuts that the Bills are back in the playoffs. And I have no doubt."

Beane said. "I consider, I always said the top three for football towns in no particular order, are Green Bay, Buffalo and Kansas City. So I knew, 'Hey, this is a football town.'

"It was a frustrating miserable loss at the end of the game," Beane said. "As mad as I was, I appreciated the fan base and how fired up. I mean, these people were hugging. I was kind of like, 'Chill.' You haven't won a playoff game. We were good that year. 12-4.

"He said they treat him like royalty now," Beane's mother Cindy said. "He's just not used to it.:

"The Pegulas were a big selling factor," Beane said. "You have to know you're going to have the resources, the backing and if I thought the standard had to be a 9 out of 10, they were a 12 out of 10.

Just wanted to say I love these qoutes.

Edited by Lafromboise

Beane said. "I consider, I always said the top three for football towns in no particular order, are Green Bay, Buffalo and Kansas City. So I knew, 'Hey, this is a football town.'

"It was a frustrating miserable loss at the end of the game," Beane said. "As mad as I was, I appreciated the fan base and how fired up. I mean, these people were hugging. I was kind of like, 'Chill.' You haven't won a playoff game. We were good that year. 12-4.

"He said they treat him like royalty now," Beane's mother Cindy said. "He's just not used to it.:

"The Pegulas were a big selling factor," Beane said. "You have to know you're going to have the resources, the backing and if I thought the standard had to be a 9 out of 10, they were a 12 out of 10.

Just wanted to say I love these qoutes.

I recall him making a comment about what the pegulas had to offer during his presser I believe about how advanced the facilities and resources were from Carolina.

I recall him making a comment about what the pegulas had to offer during his presser I believe about how advanced the facilities and resources were from Carolina.

i think a huge factor is the Pegulas' commitment to investing in high end FO personnel. Beane got his guys and to assemble that kind of group, deep pockets and a desire to improve must be there from ownership. Edited by YoloinOhio