McDermott has really impressed me. We might have struck gold

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In his Mic'd up session which the Bills have done with other head coaches Sean was impressive. He was upbeat always, very positive but he also came down on his Dline coach and players. He said "that is not how we play defense get them together".

I know TC hasn't even started but I've personally been blown away by our new Head coach. Just the way he communicates with the players, demands respect and has a certain intensity to him has really rejuvenated my hopes for this season and beyond.

His style, his swagger has been super impressive and it's a style that I feel we translate to the team playing to their full potential.

Rex Ryan had this team nowhere near their full potential and still had us contending for playoffs late in the season.

I've always felt this board has underrated the talent on this team , I think if we stay relatively healthy we can easily contend in the AFC , even with Rex. Now with what I believe will be a Massive upgrade at HC, I am anticipating this team to grab a Wild Card spot, again, I just have a strong feeling McDermott's coaching style, his teaching style and the way he communicates will translate extremely well, which will maximize the potential of a talented team. My gut tells me we won't be hiring a HC in a long long time...

I worry about your gut. Consider probiotics my Friend ; )

But i do like your attitude quite well.

This isn't Ralphs organization any more ( no offense of course Mr Wilson ^ )

But this one feels very different, The whole sweeping change is dramatic and hard to fathom at this point.

But

Go Bills !!

In his Mic'd up session which the Bills have done with other head coaches Sean was impressive. He was upbeat always, very positive but he also came down on his Dline coach and players. He said "that is not how we play defense get them together".

I did not watch that. Now I will.

TY

and I like the sound of that already

...and the urinalists were enthralled with the savior Wrecks hire being a Pegula positive step...FWIW, which wasn't much......

expound please

Are you aware that Terry Pegula is the owner and that Jeff Littman is no longer associated with the team?

How have the Pegulas changed the Bills' FO philosophy?

• Overdorf is still in charge of "cap management", which can best be described as replace pricey stars/vets with much cheaper rookies and never weres and hope for the best. Terrence McGee for Antoine Winfield ... Zay Jones for Robert Woods ...
  • The Bills preferred to let 2012 first round DB, Stephon Gilmore, who made the Pro Bowl in 2016, leave, which is exactly what the Bills did with 1999 first round DB Antoine Winfield, 1999 second round WR Peerless Price, 2001 first round DB pick Nate Clements, 2003 first round RB Willis McGahee, 2006 first round safety Donte Whitner, 2007 second round LB Paul Posluszny, 2009 second round DB Jairus Byrd, 2009 second round LG Andy Levitre, 2010 first round RB CJ Spiller, and 2013 second round WR Robert Woods. The Bills have also let other top players as well as key role players leave through FA or trades rather than pay them ... in 2017 as well as in the past.
  • Who did the Bills have on the roster to replace Peerless Price in 2003? Who did they have to replace Chris Hogan in 2016? How many years did it take to replace Pat Williams at DT or Ruben Brown at LG or Jason Peters at LT? So, how long will it take for the Bills to fill Sammy Watkins' spot when he signs with another team next season?
  • They're on their third HC since purchasing the team in the fall of 2013. As somebody said, Ryan was supposed to be this era's Chuck Knox. When it turned out he wasn't, the Bills went back to their "tried and true" philosophy of hiring a cheaper HC with a mediocre record and limited experience.

Sorry, dude, but I just can't see significant differences between the behavior of the Bills FO under Ralph Wilson's ownership and the Pegulas' ownership. Maybe I'm just getting pessimistic in my old age. Maybe I've just spent enough time in the working world to realize how impossible it is to change corporate/organizational culture without a willingness to shed some blood at the very top of the food chain. That the Pegulas have owned the Sabres for several years longer than they've owned the Bills and have failed to get that organization squared away doesn't seem to bode well for the Bills, and that includes McDermott.

Hopefully, I'm dead wrong but I'm not buying into anything until I see some results that look different from the results of the last twenty years.

Look, I know we haven't seen one game from him as HC yet. It's too early to judge.

That said, living in the Philly area, I remember hearing people hound the radio stations saying that they should have made a play for him as coach in 2016. There were people despondent when he came to the Bills.

They mentioned a story where a reporter was waiting to speak with Brian Dawkins, a HOF level safety, at practice. He stayed out on the middle of the field with McDermott for half an hour, just talking. When the reporter asked about what they were talking about, Dawkins said "He was talking to me. He had said that I was already one of the best safeties in the league. And then he asked me if I was willing to do what it takes to be one of the best of all time."

I am paraphrasing, and it doesn't meann anything until September, but he is very highly regarded.

I know TC hasn't even started but I've personally been blown away by our new Head coach. Just the way he communicates with the players, demands respect and has a certain intensity to him has really rejuvenated my hopes for this season and beyond.

His style, his swagger has been super impressive and it's a style that I feel we translate to the team playing to their full potential.

Rex Ryan had this team nowhere near their full potential and still had us contending for playoffs late in the season.

I've always felt this board has underrated the talent on this team , I think if we stay relatively healthy we can easily contend in the AFC , even with Rex. Now with what I believe will be a Massive upgrade at HC, I am anticipating this team to grab a Wild Card spot, again, I just have a strong feeling McDermott's coaching style, his teaching style and the way he communicates will translate extremely well, which will maximize the potential of a talented team. My gut tells me we won't be hiring a HC in a long long time...

I agree but think this year will be rough: New coaches, new players, new systems.

Look, I know we haven't seen one game from him as HC yet. It's too early to judge.

That said, living in the Philly area, I remember hearing people hound the radio stations saying that they should have made a play for him as coach in 2016. There were people despondent when he came to the Bills.

They mentioned a story where a reporter was waiting to speak with Brian Dawkins, a HOF level safety, at practice. He stayed out on the middle of the field with McDermott for half an hour, just talking. When the reporter asked about what they were talking about, Dawkins said "He was talking to me. He had said that I was already one of the best safeties in the league. And then he asked me if I was willing to do what it takes to be one of the best of all time."

I am paraphrasing, and it doesn't meann anything until September, but he is very highly regarded.

I'm not trying to be negative or bash you. But the same story is told of 10-15 assistants every year. They are the next great thing. Hell the current Bills DC was a can't miss coordinator that flamed out as a HC. I'm as guilty as the rest as I was firmly in the Todd Bowles camp and he looks terrible now.

As I stated above, let's see how he does on Sunday with the things he can control. Get the plays in on time, get the player groups on the field, manage the clock, and decrease penalties. Do that and field a defense ranked 10-12th in points allowed and this team is in the playoffs.

...and the urinalists were enthralled with the savior Wrecks hire being a Pegula positive step...FWIW, which wasn't much......

expound please

I think he means the BBMB members. Yes that does mean this board was pissed on BBMB closed but we are told that it is supposed to be good for us. I have heard the same thing that a pile of dung is actually something which makes flowers grow from some point of view.

I agree but think this year will be rough: New coaches, new players, new systems.

I know that is a very popular outlook on this board but many coaches and teams have success in year 1 in today's NFL. It's about how good the staff can get the scheme to adjust to players strengths rather than players adjusting to a scheme.

As far as too many new players/not enough talent, I completely disagree.

Offense we have all 5 OL back, and a potential upgrade at RT. And we have our 4 top offensive weapons now going into year 3 TOGETHER,Taylor, Sammy, Shady and Clay.. Added a stud FB in Dimarco. And upgraded our WRs. Sammy-Zay-Holmes> Sammy-Woods-Goodwin. Our only hit came at backup RB, the easiest position where an unknown can come in and replicate TD Mikes success. Overall we improved an already dangerous offense...

Defense did experience some losses but we have leaders at every level. Kyle , Lorenzo and Hyde all have natural leadership qualities and are very respected vets. Shaq,Dareus,and Hughes are now in a scheme that they are perfect for and should have huge bounce back years. Adolphus is a great fit as well.

So DL-upgrade

We lose Zach Brown at LB but gain Ragland, imo a natural MLB that I can see having an immediate impact and storming on the scene. He will add a nastyness to the middle of that D. We add Hodges who is coming off a fantastic year, so essentially Ragland /Hodges> Brown

LB-Upgrade

Safety we upgrade big time. Poyer and Hyde are much better than Graham and Duke or Colt Anderson.

CB is the only group on D we MIGHT have downgraded but I could also see it being an upgrade. Seymour > Robey. Darby is Darby and I feel White can be more Consistent than Gilmore. Not to mention they will benefit greatly from the new scheme.

I just don't see the lack of talent that many on here are so adamant about

Oh, Rex had his share of fans didn't he... I was against him from midnight on day 1... I'm not totally against McDoomed... I just don't think he's bona fide HC material.... Not yet, anyway... Would've LOVED it if he came in as our DC, tho....

Edited by #34fan

I think he means the BBMB members. Yes that does mean this board was pissed on BBMB closed but we are told that it is supposed to be good for us. I have heard the same thing that a pile of dung is actually something which makes flowers grow from some point of view.

?? 'urinalists' is a play on so-called sports journalists -who raved about the Rex Ryan hire and catapulted the Bills to sleeper AFCE Champs predictions.

How is this not understood?

How have the Pegulas changed the Bills' FO philosophy?

• Overdorf is still in charge of "cap management", which can best be described as replace pricey stars/vets with much cheaper rookies and never weres and hope for the best. Terrence McGee for Antoine Winfield ... Zay Jones for Robert Woods ...
  • The Bills preferred to let 2012 first round DB, Stephon Gilmore, who made the Pro Bowl in 2016, leave, which is exactly what the Bills did with 1999 first round DB Antoine Winfield, 1999 second round WR Peerless Price, 2001 first round DB pick Nate Clements, 2003 first round RB Willis McGahee, 2006 first round safety Donte Whitner, 2007 second round LB Paul Posluszny, 2009 second round DB Jairus Byrd, 2009 second round LG Andy Levitre, 2010 first round RB CJ Spiller, and 2013 second round WR Robert Woods. The Bills have also let other top players as well as key role players leave through FA or trades rather than pay them ... in 2017 as well as in the past.
  • Who did the Bills have on the roster to replace Peerless Price in 2003? Who did they have to replace Chris Hogan in 2016? How many years did it take to replace Pat Williams at DT or Ruben Brown at LG or Jason Peters at LT? So, how long will it take for the Bills to fill Sammy Watkins' spot when he signs with another team next season?
  • They're on their third HC since purchasing the team in the fall of 2013. As somebody said, Ryan was supposed to be this era's Chuck Knox. When it turned out he wasn't, the Bills went back to their "tried and true" philosophy of hiring a cheaper HC with a mediocre record and limited experience.
Sorry, dude, but I just can't see significant differences between the behavior of the Bills FO under Ralph Wilson's ownership and the Pegulas' ownership. Maybe I'm just getting pessimistic in my old age. Maybe I've just spent enough time in the working world to realize how impossible it is to change corporate/organizational culture without a willingness to shed some blood at the very top of the food chain. That the Pegulas have owned the Sabres for several years longer than they've owned the Bills and have failed to get that organization squared away doesn't seem to bode well for the Bills, and that includes McDermott.

Hopefully, I'm dead wrong but I'm not buying into anything until I see some results that look different from the results of the last twenty years.

Reading the media, and the Pegula hires (with both teams) they seem too change what they want in FO hires. Then hire the first people who meet their new criteria. This board had a lot of Rex lovers. And the McD and Beane love is no different. Your points above for the most part make sense in the sense of the Bills philosophy over many regimes. And 2 owners. I still believe in the unpopular view that Russ Brandon owns the owners ears and eyes. He must go. The new regime gets full support until proven otherwise. The gameday coaching is critical. And why is Crossman still employed? My first negative on this regime. Lets hope the new regime can get it done. The offseason accolades is pure fluff. Dareus made comments that lead me too believe this team will be different and every player will be held accountable. That was not fluff. Edited by Best Player Available

This is an excuse the Bills faithful trot out every time the team hires a new head coach, and since they change HCs every 2 or 3 years, the faithful remain placated. As long as the fans continue to fill the stadium and buy merchandise, the Bills are going to continue to do what they've been doing for the last 17 years ... what they've done for most of their history except for the brief time in the "Glory Years". Why would they spend big bucks to put an improved product on the field when the fans fill the stadium for an inferior product that costs less to produce?

For those who are younger and might not remember, it wasn't all that long ago that both Cincinnati and Arizona were as much perennial bottom feeders as the Bills. IIRC,the fans in Cinci, and maybe in Phoenix, too, held new stadium approvals hostage to promises of improved performance based on the teams getting serious about fielding winners.

Even the Bills "Glory Years" had their roots in fan discontent. It might be hard to believe, but support for the team -- and its losing ways -- deteriorated in the mid-1980s to the point where usually only about 30k fans filled then 80k seat Rich Stadium. I think that the Bills sold fewer than 20k season tickets. Back then, teams actually depended upon ticket sales for much of their profit, so the lack of fans in the seats at last encouraged Wilson to bring in Polian and upgrade the organization ... especially when the long term lease the Bills had on Rich meant they couldn't pull up stakes and find another sucker city like teams do today.

As long as Bills fans continue to make excuses for poor team management and to fill the stadium every Sunday, nothing is really going to change with how the Bills do business.

I know that is a very popular outlook on this board but many coaches and teams have success in year 1 in today's NFL. It's about how good the staff can get the scheme to adjust to players strengths rather than players adjusting to a scheme.

As far as too many new players/not enough talent, I completely disagree.

Offense we have all 5 OL back, and a potential upgrade at RT. And we have our 4 top offensive weapons now going into year 3 TOGETHER,Taylor, Sammy, Shady and Clay.. Added a stud FB in Dimarco. And upgraded our WRs. Sammy-Zay-Holmes> Sammy-Woods-Goodwin. Our only hit came at backup RB, the easiest position where an unknown can come in and replicate TD Mikes success. Overall we improved an already dangerous offense...

Defense did experience some losses but we have leaders at every level. Kyle , Lorenzo and Hyde all have natural leadership qualities and are very respected vets. Shaq,Dareus,and Hughes are now in a scheme that they are perfect for and should have huge bounce back years. Adolphus is a great fit as well.

So DL-upgrade

We lose Zach Brown at LB but gain Ragland, imo a natural MLB that I can see having an immediate impact and storming on the scene. He will add a nastyness to the middle of that D. We add Hodges who is coming off a fantastic year, so essentially Ragland /Hodges> Brown

LB-Upgrade

Safety we upgrade big time. Poyer and Hyde are much better than Graham and Duke or Colt Anderson.

CB is the only group on D we MIGHT have downgraded but I could also see it being an upgrade. Seymour > Robey. Darby is Darby and I feel White can be more Consistent than Gilmore. Not to mention they will benefit greatly from the new scheme.

I just don't see the lack of talent that many on here are so adamant about

I totally agree. This team is significantly better talent-wise than the teams all of the Bills previous new HC inherited in this century. It has both a functional offense and defense. Even the team Ryan inherited, which had a good defense, lacked a competent offense. This one has the talent to be decent on both sides of the ball if it gets competent coaching.

Keep in mind, the Bills don't have to good enough to win a Super Bowl this year. They just have to be good enough to get double digit wins, something they haven't done since 1999.

Reading the media, and the Pegula hires (with both teams) they seem too change what they want in FO hires. Then hire the first people who meet their new criteria. This board had a lot of Rex lovers. And the McD and Beane love is no different. Your points above for the most part make sense in the sense of the Bills philosophy over many regimes. And 2 owners. I still believe in the unpopular view that Russ Brandon owns the owners ears and eyes. He must go. The new regime gets full support until proven otherwise. The gameday coaching is critical. And why is Crossman still employed? My first negative on this regime. Lets hope the new regime can get it done. The offseason accolades is pure fluff. Dareus made comments that lead me too believe this team will be different and every player will be held accountable. That was not fluff.

I agree, especially about Russ Brandon. Previous to joining the Bills, Brandon worked on dismantling the Florida (now Miami) Marlins baseball team after it won the 1997 World Series by selling off talent to make more profit. That career stop is conveniently missing from Brandon's current on-line bios BTW. It's like his professional career started when he joined the Bills.

FYI, in 1997, the Marlins had the 7th highest opening day salary total out of 28 MLB teams. They took the NL wild card in their division and won the World Series. In 1998, they ranked 20th out of 30 MLB teams and compiled the worst record in MLB history for a defending World Series champ.

Edited by SoTier

There are lot of doom sayers on the board, and it's not that I don't respect their opinion; it's just that I don't agree. Look at it this way: last year we had the 10th best scoring offense, and considering that the receiver position, with Watkins' out for half the year and sub par for the other 8; Woods missing substantial time, leaving Goodwin as the healthy guy; well, the trio of a healthy Watkins with the additions of Zay Jones, and Andre Holmes just have to be superior. When you add in things like a more seasoned Tyrod, an improved O line, and in all probability better coaching, well, IMO signs look pretty good for a very good offense.

On the much criticized D, the switch to a 4-3 is a winner! The line has a good chance to be one of the tops in the league. LB's have new blood with high potential, and the DB's are stronger in 3 of the 4 spots.

I know, lots of guys belittle the posts of an admitted optimist, but I believe that with good health, my projections above have an excellent chance at fruition. :thumbsup:

I also have high hopes for our new HC.....I'll wait before anointing him, but I truly believe he'll get us to the playoffs by next year...I look at this season as a long audition where him and his staff will weed out the problems and put his stamp on the team he wants...by 2018, we should be a real contender.....