Congressman Shot At Baseball Practice

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the worst in my lifetime and I'm 65

I'm 67 , when I left the Navy no problem getting hired at factories here. That era with fair pay , health insurance and pensions are gone . Minimum wage part time no benefits today , hmm

Congressional hearing on gun legislation has been cancelled. The "Sportsmen's Heritage and Recreational Enhancement Act" would make it easier to purchase silencers, transport guns across state lines, and ease restrictions on armor-piercing bullets. The bill is sponsored by Rep. Jeff Duncan who was at the baseball practice.

Congressional hearing on gun legislation has been cancelled. The "Sportsmen's Heritage and Recreational Enhancement Act" would make it easier to purchase silencers, transport guns across state lines, and ease restrictions on armor-piercing bullets. The bill is sponsored by Rep. Jeff Duncan who was at the baseball practice.

And that's because more gun regulations would have stopped this lunatic?

We have the most liberal guns laws - pretty much in the whole world - and we have the gun violence to match - might be a coinkydink....

I don't want to politicize one crazy guy so his reasoning for shooting is irrelevant. He was nuts.

But it struck me in the last London attack how few people died because the attackers had knives and not guns. Very different outcomes.

I'm not a gun regulation advocate and it's not an issue that I really care much about but on an incident level, if I'd rather have a guy with a knife terrorizing me than a guy with a firearm.

I don't want to politicize one crazy guy so his reasoning for shooting is irrelevant. He was nuts.

But it struck me in the last London attack how few people died because the attackers had knives and not guns. Very different outcomes.

I'm not a gun regulation advocate and it's not an issue that I really care much about but on an incident level, if I'd rather have a guy with a knife terrorizing me than a guy with a firearm.

And I'd like to eat ice cream for my three meals and not get fat.

None of the feel good gun control laws will account for the hundred million guns already in circulation.

Automatic guns have been around for a century. Crazy has been around since dawn of man. Yet, the frequency of mass murders with guns is a recent phenomenon.

Wouldn't it make more sense to investigate and address the causes of the more recent phenomenon?

Wouldn't it make more sense to investigate and address the causes of the more recent phenomenon?

Of course. But addressing the problem that's been around since the dawn of man won't be easy. Nor would taking guns off the street solve the problem. Or stiffer penalties.

It's not an easy problem with an easy solution. But most people suit up in their usual uniforms and come to argue one side without listening to reasonable points of the other.

I'm out of this thread. Don't really want to muck up a single incident with gun/2nd amendment talk.

Of course. But addressing the problem that's been around since the dawn of man won't be easy. Nor would taking guns off the street solve the problem. Or stiffer penalties.

It's not an easy problem with an easy solution. But most people suit up in their usual uniforms and come to argue one side without listening to reasonable points of the other.

I'm out of this thread. Don't really want to muck up a single incident with gun/2nd amendment talk.

Sounds like we agree on this.

Maybe the people who revel in putting up octo-screens of screaming talking heads should take stock in damage they're created.

Obviously, anyone celebrating this is a disgusting person. Please don’t associate these nuts with any wide category of people, like "the left.” It’s always easy to cherry pick examples of bad behavior. It’s a mistake to suggest that it’s representative of any broad cross-section of regular people, who would never condone violence like this for any reason.

I know it may sound naïve or childish to point it out, but being disgusted by senseless brutal acts of violence is something that we all can understand and agree with. I hope Scalise and the other victims will be ok.

Obviously, anyone celebrating this is a disgusting person. Please don’t associate these nuts with any wide category of people, like "the left.” It’s always easy to cherry pick examples of bad behavior. It’s a mistake to suggest that it’s representative of any broad cross-section of regular people, who would never condone violence like this for any reason.

I know it may sound naïve or childish to point it out, but being disgusted by senseless brutal acts of violence is something that we all can understand and agree with. I hope Scalise and the other victims will be ok.

I think the frustration Cugalabanza is how the media covers these stories. If it was a right wing activist, this would be a central focus of the story. We'll see how the mainstream media cover this story.

Fair enough sir, that was the headline to the link.

The gunman who attacked members of Congress on Wednesday morning, wounding a GOP leader, is a vocal Bernie Sanders supporter who called Republicans “racist & sexist” on Facebook.

James T. Hodgkinson, 66, of Belleville, Illinois opened fire on a congressional baseball practice outside of Washington, D.C., a senior law enforcement official tells The Daily Beast. President Donald Trump said the suspect died of his injuries.

House majority whip Steve Scalise, two capitol police officers, and congressional staffers were wounded. They are all expected to survive, according to police.

I certainly don't blame Bernie Sanders or the majority of those on the Left, but just as with Islamic terrorists, or "right-wing Radicals, it is incumbent upon those who consider themselves "reasonable" representatives to speak up.

I think the frustration Cugalabanza is how the media covers these stories. If it was a right wing activist, this would be a central focus of the story. We'll see how the mainstream media cover this story.

I agree.

Edited by B-Man

Obviously, anyone celebrating this is a disgusting. erson. Please dont associate these nuts with any wide category of people, like "the left. Its always easy to cherry pick examples of bad behavior. Its a mistake to suggest that its representative of any broad cross-section of regular people, who would never condone violence like this for any reason.

if this was a republicam shooting a democrat...

"Right wing white fascist CIs male trump supporter uses semi automatic gun to shoot terrorize members of congress.!"

I certainly don't blame Bernie Sanders or the majority of those on the Left, but just as with Islamic terrorists, or "right-wing Radicals, it is incumbent upon those who consider themselves "reasonable" representatives to speak up.

It's a really interesting debate that still needs to happen in our society. Basically it's "what is the burden of condemning or distancing yourself from" (see, there isn't even a good vocabulary for expressing it yet) those of your "kind" who do bad things that you disagree with.

We say of so-called moderate Muslims, why don't you speak out more against the extremists within your religion? Maybe they shouldn't have to. In a healthier culture, it would be understood that fringe nutjobs don't represent a wider majority of "sensible" people. I don't know the answer, but I think it's one of the central issues of this time in our history.

dcshsfdumaai0t71.jpg?quality=88&w=750 I assume John Goodman will play him in the movie.

By the way that Congressional Baseball game raises $600,000 for charity. :thumbsup:

It's a really interesting debate that still needs to happen in our society. Basically it's "what is the burden of condemning or distancing yourself from" (see, there isn't even a good vocabulary for expressing it yet) those of your "kind" who do bad things that you disagree with.

We say of so-called moderate Muslims, why don't you speak out more against the extremists within your religion? Maybe they shouldn't have to. In a healthier culture, it would be understood that fringe nutjobs don't represent a wider majority of "sensible" people. I don't know the answer, but I think it's one of the central issues of this time in our history.

Again, I agree

Edited by B-Man

The problem with your second paragraph is demographic in nature. There are over a billion Muslims on earth. Even IF only 1% (and the acutal number is higher than that) of them advocate and actively support terrorism and/or sharia law, then you're talking about TEN MILLION people who if they aren't willing to perform the act themselves, they're willing to collude with and support the actor.

There's no room for tolerating that.

Left has a long extensive history of extreme violence and genocide to further their twisted, idiotic cause. So it's pretty easy to associate nutty butties like this with them.

Edited by Dante

We had a march a few months ago of some 800,000 people calling the Republican Party "Nazis."

This is not a "fringe" opinion. This is considered a "sensible" opinion.

We had a march a few months ago of some 800,000 people calling the Republican Party "Nazis."

This is not a "fringe" opinion. This is considered a "sensible" opinion.

Isn't it interesting that the portland train guy and this shooter guy were Bernie supporters?

Probably just coincidence.

The problem with your second paragraph is demographic in nature. There are over a billion Muslims on earth. Even IF only 1% (and the acutal number is higher than that) of them advocate and actively support terrorism and/or sharia law, then you're talking about TEN MILLION people who if they aren't willing to perform the act themselves, they're willing to collude with and support the actor.

There's no room for tolerating that.

Nobody tolerates that. Just as nobody should tolerate the violence that is done to women by many tens of millions of men on the planet (also surely higher than 1%). The question is what are the expectations of the rest of those groups. To what extent do we expect them to actively condemn or behave apologetically on behalf of those bad apples? I could see the validity of arguing that it is enough for a good person to live a good life and simply disregard those of his "tribe" (or whatever Granfalloon you wish) who act badly. The reality of our complicated world seems to suggest that we all share some responsibility for "calling out" the bad apples, but I think it's a conversation that needs to happen more.

Edited by Cugalabanza

This is how the civil war starts. These sorts of events. It's been fanned in an era where it's "ok" to show a beheaded president and it's "ok" to have a play about his assassination. Where it's ok to show up at a town hall meeting and scream, unhinged, at your elected official. This is all on top of the already percolating anger in most parts of the country at stagnant wages, little job growth, the expense of healthcare, rising debt.

You know that some "right" loon is already plotting a response to this.

Then the left will have to respond with something bigger.

Once that's happened, you'll start having people showing up to town halls and protests heavily armed, looking for a fight.

Then you'll have Americans firing on Americans with police officers stuck in between.

Now you'd think that the political parties and the media would see how this all plays out but they will only fan the flames.

Edited by dpberr