Not needed a top corner in McDermott D is a myth

Saw a trusted report sometime surrounding Whaley's firing saying that McDermott was pissed off at Whaley for letting Gilmore go. Especially considering where he landed. fwiw

I'm sure it dissipated quickly when he saw the FA's they were able to acquire and when they got White at the end of the 1st round.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depends on whether you actually consider Josh Norman to be a top corner. He was a 6th rd pick from coastal Carolina who McD eventually developed into a successful CB. He's not some elite talent. The 1st and 2nd rd picks he has now from big time College programs that churn out pro DBs each year are more gifted than Norman. Whether one or both will find the success Norman had in 2015 is yet to be seen.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Glad hes gone , from the moment he was drafted he looked like he wanted to cry , White will make everyone forget about Gilmore after week 1

And I hope Sammy torches his a$$

We don't need a guy that hates to tackle. No loss with him gone

Loss. Seriously, loss.

But we didn't have the money under the cap thanks to Whaley's profligacy.

_-----------------------

Even though he had the tools to be a top flight corner Gilmore just never embraced Buffalo. He did not want to be here and played with no heart at all. Just waited out his time for a payday. What makes me upset is when a FA goes for the jackpot he usually lands on a desperate team overpaying for players. Not only did he Rob us of quality years but now he gets rewarded with a monster contract on a monster team. Bums like him don't deserve that kind of good fortune. I've grown to dislike him very much.

Sour ... grapes.

Every time a guy leaves Buffalo this is the cry that goes up, he didn't want to be here. And it's true only in that we didn't give him the best offer and that's why he didn't want to be here. Through the years there really are only a couple of guys who genuinely didn't want to be here, McGahee for instance after the Applebees comment and the comments on Buffalo women. The rest would have been happy to stay with the right offer. Classic sour grapes.

They pretty much all go for the jackpot, all the NFL players. Except the guys on their third and fourth contracts who've already banked $50 mill or the guys who marry supermodels who are richer than they are.

Oh, and if Gilmore had played with no heart at all the Pats wouldn't have signed him.

Edited by Thurman#1

Loss. Seriously, loss.

I don't know I kinda see this as equal to losing Mario. I want players who give their all every play and Steph looked to just be going through the motions most times. Steph was no where near the locker room distraction as Mario but I won't miss him. From draft day he just didn't look like he wanted to be a Bill as oppose to Tre who started balling like a baby. Just never felt like Steph cared really. I'm not saying every player has to cry when drafted but damn show me something.

I can't buy into that report Wayne, I mean I keep hearing that Sean HC has been the defacto decision maker since the day he was hired, so if that's the case, it was Sean's decision not to go higher on Gilmore, and Robert, and or not sign Zach, and Sean's decision on whom we ended up singing in FA including Lorax

That said, of course we are going to miss Gilmore, how could you not, well maybe not the 2016 first half of the season Gilmore, but the other Gilmore, lol

Look every solid D scheme still needs great players, especially corners, who said it didn't?

Then again if Darby can return to where he was at in this rookie season, in which according to PFF he outplayed Gilmore, and White develops, and Seymour comes along as the nickel guy, it will mitagate the loss of Stephan, and at much more reasonable and fixed salaries

Besides I am much more concerned about our safeties than our corners

jc

I can't buy into that report Wayne, I mean I keep hearing that Sean HC has been the defacto decision maker since the day he was hired, so if that's the case, it was Sean's decision not to go higher on Gilmore, and Robert, and or not sign Zach, and Sean's decision on whom we ended up singing in FA including Lorax

That said, of course we are going to miss Gilmore, how could you not, well maybe not the 2016 first half of the season Gilmore, but the other Gilmore, lol

Look every solid D scheme still needs great players, especially corners, who said it didn't?

Then again if Darby can return to where he was at in this rookie season, in which according to PFF he outplayed Gilmore, and White develops, and Seymour comes along as the nickel guy, it will mitagate the loss of Stephan, and at much more reasonable and fixed salaries

Besides I am much more concerned about our safeties than our corners

jc

I just cant help but get the feeling that Gilmore was a bit of a merc

I mean....you need guys that are not glue guys and are their soley for the paycheck on your team I guess.....its just that when you are talking HIGH dollars you would want something a little more then what Gilmore was giving.

its easy to say now that the guy is on a rival team I guess which is why I dont want to delve into it to much....I just want to say we have our young secondary who are guys that WANT to be here and leave it at that.

Loss. Seriously, loss.

Sour ... grapes.

Every time a guy leaves Buffalo this is the cry that goes up, he didn't want to be here. And it's true only in that we didn't give him the best offer and that's why he didn't want to be here. Through the years there really are only a couple of guys who genuinely didn't want to be here, McGahee for instance after the Applebees comment and the comments on Buffalo women. The rest would have been happy to stay with the right offer. Classic sour grapes.

They pretty much all go for the jackpot, all the NFL players. Except the guys on their third and fourth contracts who've already banked $50 mill or the guys who marry supermodels who are richer than they are.

Oh, and if Gilmore had played with no heart at all the Pats wouldn't have signed him.

---------------

Sour grapes? No. Did you not see his expression on draft day? Buffalo made him an instant millionaire that day but he looked like someone ran over his puppy. Did you not see all the finger pointing at other DBs when he got roasted by #2 and #3 WRs? Did you not see the patented Gilmore shoulder hit on receivers that allowed them to bounce off his rubber body for big gains after the catch because he didn't actually want to tackle? Sour grapes are reserved for players you actually want to retain by leave anyway. No one wanted 5 more years of what Gilmore was putting out with the Bills. Will he perform well in NE? I have no doubt he will because the whiner got what he wanted. Money and a chance for a ring. I said in the first line of my post he has all the tools. I want players that want to be here. Genuine players get paid, whiners and quitters get sent packing.

McDermott has been a DC since 2009, and bottomed out in DVOA his first year in Carolina. Here's the DVOA ranks

Year McD Buffalo

2009 3 (PHI) 8

2010 11 (PHI) 28

2011 32 (CAR) 24

2012 11 (CAR) 27

2013 3 (CAR) 4

2014 14 (CAR) 2

2015 2 (CAR) 24

2016 10 (CAR) 26

As others pointed out, Norman played 7 games in '13 and 8 games in '14. Also, dropping from 2 to 10 isn't nearly the cliff people would like to make it out to be.

---------------

Sour grapes? No. Did you not see his expression on draft day? Buffalo made him an instant millionaire that day but he looked like someone ran over his puppy. Did you not see all the finger pointing at other DBs when he got roasted by #2 and #3 WRs? Did you not see the patented Gilmore shoulder hit on receivers that allowed them to bounce off his rubber body for big gains after the catch because he didn't actually want to tackle? Sour grapes are reserved for players you actually want to retain by leave anyway. No one wanted 5 more years of what Gilmore was putting out with the Bills. Will he perform well in NE? I have no doubt he will because the whiner got what he wanted. Money and a chance for a ring. I said in the first line of my post he has all the tools. I want players that want to be here. Genuine players get paid, whiners and quitters get sent packing.

OMG! People still hold him not smiling on draft day against him! He isn't a guy who smiles. And I'd be pissed too if I was in a contract playing in a terrible scheme that most of the players hated, with bad Ss making me look bad.

If Gilmore smiled and celebrated more, some fans would think he was a better player. But NE knows nothing I guess.

McDermott has been a DC since 2009, and bottomed out in DVOA his first year in Carolina. Here's the DVOA ranks

Year McD Buffalo

2009 3 (PHI) 8

2010 11 (PHI) 28

2011 32 (CAR) 24

2012 11 (CAR) 27

2013 3 (CAR) 4

2014 14 (CAR) 2

2015 2 (CAR) 24

2016 10 (CAR) 26

As others pointed out, Norman played 7 games in '13 and 8 games in '14. Also, dropping from 2 to 10 isn't nearly the cliff people would like to make it out to be.

Good post. On a separate note, why has DVOA become the gold standard now? I feel like nerds are trying really hard to get involved in football and stats don't work as well in football as they do in other sports. Curious on your opinion about it.

Good post. On a separate note, why has DVOA become the gold standard now? I feel like nerds are trying really hard to get involved in football and stats don't work as well in football as they do in other sports. Curious on your opinion about it.

I don't do a ton of advanced metrics stuff like PFF, etc., but to me DVOA adds context to stats numerically, and I like it. Stats are always better with context, and the ranks correlate pretty well with the opinions I form while watching each season.

_-----------------------

Even though he had the tools to be a top flight corner Gilmore just never embraced Buffalo. He did not want to be here and played with no heart at all. Just waited out his time for a payday. What makes me upset is when a FA goes for the jackpot he usually lands on a desperate team overpaying for players. Not only did he Rob us of quality years but now he gets rewarded with a monster contract on a monster team. Bums like him don't deserve that kind of good fortune. I've grown to dislike him very much.

wow.... he really hurt your feelings didn't he? Also the whole excuse of not wanting to be here every time a good player wants to get paid his value is getting old with bills fans

He put a value on himself that Bills FO did not agree with.... he got what he wanted in free agency....that does not make him a bad player or person

Most people would say the best cornerbacks in the NFL are those who are excellent at 1-on-1 man coverage.

Not to say that "zone guys" are not talented, but their task is probably a little easier.

For example... As good as Richard Sherman is (Seattle plays mostly zone/Cover 3), his ability has never approached what Darrell Revis offered the Jets in his prime. The ability to shut down an opposing receiver by himself, with no help. I'm not sure Sherman would be considered elite, if he didn't have Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor behind him - not to mention an all-world defense around him.

The Bills are going to play mostly zone coverage now.

That doesn't mean we can get by with scrubs at cornerback. But it does mean that our CBs won't need to be shut-down to succeed (like Ryan's defense seemed to require).

wow.... he really hurt your feelings didn't he? Also the whole excuse of not wanting to be here every time a good player wants to get paid his value is getting old with bills fans

He put a value on himself that Bills FO did not agree with.... he got what he wanted in free agency....that does not make him a bad player or person

----------

I respect your opinion so let's agree to disagree. I'm sure they're plenty here who feel as I do about Gilmore. I guess I'm just the only one willing to debate it. Once again I never said he wasn't a good player because we know he was. We saw what he could do when motivated. But what we ended up seeing was mediocrity.

I heard that he needs an elite MLB because when Luke Kuechly went down last year that defense went to complete trash.

So I'd say not needing a top MLB is also a myth.

*sarcasm*

*eye roll*

*hot take*

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

OMG! People still hold him not smiling on draft day against him! He isn't a guy who smiles. And I'd be pissed too if I was in a contract playing in a terrible scheme that most of the players hated, with bad Ss making me look bad.

If Gilmore smiled and celebrated more, some fans would think he was a better player. But NE knows nothing I guess.

----------

He doesn't smile? Wanna bet he did after he wasn't franchised and got that contract from NE. Scheme? The scheme was dependent on him to be a shut down corner. Sure the scheme was a terrible fit but that doesn't change his assignment any. No, smiling and celebrating wouldn't have made him a better player. Sure tackling​ and maybe more than 2 INTs a season would have. How many Pro Bowls has this guy made? Alternate one year maybe. Believe me, I'm not shedding tears and he's not either. Sour grapes? Hurt feelings? Uh,....NO.

When McDermott had his most success he had Josh Norman. Last year he didn't have Norman and his D was was sub-par at best. Losing Gilmore may come back to bite us.

That's all you need to bust up a myth?

Losing Gilmore will bite if he locks down Sammy twice this coming season.

As far as the defensive performance, on paper, the Bills corner position is still looking solid.