Not needed a top corner in McDermott D is a myth

Most people would say the best cornerbacks in the NFL are those who are excellent at 1-on-1 man coverage.

Not to say that "zone guys" are not talented, but their task is probably a little easier.

For example... As good as Richard Sherman is (Seattle plays mostly zone/Cover 3), his ability has never approached what Darrell Revis offered the Jets in his prime. The ability to shut down an opposing receiver by himself, with no help. I'm not sure Sherman would be considered elite, if he didn't have Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor behind him - not to mention an all-world defense around him.

The Bills are going to play mostly zone coverage now.

That doesn't mean we can get by with scrubs at cornerback. But it does mean that our CBs won't need to be shut-down to succeed (like Ryan's defense seemed to require).

That's a great breakdown. The elite one-on-one guy's have the most value, but the new NFL rules have made them pretty much extinct. Gilmore is an excellent press-zone CB. I'm sure he'd have been great in McD's Cover 3. He isn't here because the Bills couldn't afford him. NE paid him well, but slightly under what he was worth. We will move forward and find new guys suited to our scheme. It sure looks like we already got one in round one of the draft.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a great breakdown. The elite one-on-one guy's have the most value, but the new NFL rules have made them pretty much extinct. Gilmore is an excellent press-zone CB. I'm sure he'd have been great in McD's Cover 3. He isn't here because the Bills couldn't afford him. NE paid him well, but slightly under what he was worth. We will move forward and find new guys suited to our scheme. It sure looks like we already got one in round one of the draft.

I am thinking by the end of the year it wont even be discussed because our 1st round pick will be making plays and Darby will have filled Gilmore's spot adaquately

When McDermott had his most success he had Josh Norman. Last year he didn't have Norman and his D was was sub-par at best. Losing Gilmore may come back to bite us.

I would argue that our other remaining CBs are far superior to anything that Carolina has

When McDermott had his most success he had Josh Norman. Last year he didn't have Norman and his D was was sub-par at best. Losing Gilmore may come back to bite us.

And McDermott's D requires CBs that tackle. Gilmore was always suspect in this area. It may have just been contractually related inability to tackle though.

I am thinking by the end of the year it wont even be discussed because our 1st round pick will be making plays and Darby will have filled Gilmore's spot adaquately

I think White will do very well in McD's scheme. What will get brought up is who we could've had instead: "We could've had Gilmore AND Player X and we would've been even better." That will happen over and over, but it'll be unfair to the current regime. They're dealing with the mess Whaley and Rex left them and they're doing pretty darn well so far, overall at least.

That's all you need to bust up a myth?

Losing Gilmore will bite if he locks down Sammy twice this coming season.

As far as the defensive performance, on paper, the Bills corner position is still looking solid.

If healthy there is not 1 CB in the league who can lock him down. But can he stay healthy? Also their #1 CB Butler will be covering our #1 WR.

Edited by manbeast

I really wish at least the obvious trolls would get banned on this board. Seems like it's more important lately about how *many* people are on the board than anything else

I can't buy into that report Wayne, I mean I keep hearing that Sean HC has been the defacto decision maker since the day he was hired, so if that's the case, it was Sean's decision not to go higher on Gilmore, and Robert, and or not sign Zach, and Sean's decision on whom we ended up singing in FA including Lorax

That said, of course we are going to miss Gilmore, how could you not, well maybe not the 2016 first half of the season Gilmore, but the other Gilmore, lol

Look every solid D scheme still needs great players, especially corners, who said it didn't?

Then again if Darby can return to where he was at in this rookie season, in which according to PFF he outplayed Gilmore, and White develops, and Seymour comes along as the nickel guy, it will mitagate the loss of Stephan, and at much more reasonable and fixed salaries

Besides I am much more concerned about our safeties than our corners

jc

Not so much the "decision" but the fact that the team's hands were tied because of the cap situation. Which was a direct result of Whaley's decision-making process over the last few years.

---------------

Sour grapes? No. Did you not see his expression on draft day? Buffalo made him an instant millionaire that day but he looked like someone ran over his puppy. Did you not see all the finger pointing at other DBs when he got roasted by #2 and #3 WRs? Did you not see the patented Gilmore shoulder hit on receivers that allowed them to bounce off his rubber body for big gains after the catch because he didn't actually want to tackle? Sour grapes are reserved for players you actually want to retain by leave anyway. No one wanted 5 more years of what Gilmore was putting out with the Bills. Will he perform well in NE? I have no doubt he will because the whiner got what he wanted. Money and a chance for a ring. I said in the first line of my post he has all the tools. I want players that want to be here. Genuine players get paid, whiners and quitters get sent packing.

That about sums up Gilmore. I suppose it is maybe what we didn't see. Perhaps qbs not throwing his way because of his coverage. I don't know. I never liked the guy.

---------------

Sour grapes? No. Did you not see his expression on draft day? Buffalo made him an instant millionaire that day but he looked like someone ran over his puppy. Did you not see all the finger pointing at other DBs when he got roasted by #2 and #3 WRs? Did you not see the patented Gilmore shoulder hit on receivers that allowed them to bounce off his rubber body for big gains after the catch because he didn't actually want to tackle? Sour grapes are reserved for players you actually want to retain by leave anyway. No one wanted 5 more years of what Gilmore was putting out with the Bills. Will he perform well in NE? I have no doubt he will because the whiner got what he wanted. Money and a chance for a ring. I said in the first line of my post he has all the tools. I want players that want to be here. Genuine players get paid, whiners and quitters get sent packing.

On that first comment regarding his expression on draft day- that's who he is. He could have been drafted first overall by Jesus to the all canton team and you'd have seen the same.

As for the rest- good to very good man cover guy. Bills made the right move letting him go at that price.

http://www.patriots.com/news/2017/05/11/stephon-gilmore-press-conference-transcript-511

Notice his same expression during pats presser

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood