Jeremy Maclin (Agrees to 2 year deal with Ravens)

Everyone's talking about Baltimore's cap room. But every year we see team's with little to no cap room sign people based on bonuses or structuring deals with less money up front. The fact that Baltimore's tight against the cap doesn't mean much to me.

So why do people feel like the Bills are in cap jail with $12MM to spare?

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he were going somewhere else to visit I wouldn't mind it. But he's going to one of the best facilities in the league. Some guys just fall in love with that. They can't offer him the cash, but they could sell him on an experience. Plus they are desperate for another WR. Didn't draft one. Pitta got hurt. Campanaro is always hurt. They really need him or Decker. Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't sign with them that they make a big push for Decker.

i think they need to add a WR but they just drafted one in the 1st a couple years ago. Is he not developing into a #1 by now? If not that's pretty bad. Breshad Perriman.

i think they need to add a WR but they just drafted one in the 1st a couple years ago. Is he not developing into a #1 by now? If not that's pretty bad. Breshad Perriman.

Injuries... I never really thought he would amount to much anyway...

So why do people feel like the Bills are in cap jail with $12MM to spare?

I am starting to believe (and have since the Saints signed Byrd) that there's no such thing as not enough cap space. It's so easy to make it available with the cap continuing to escalate. Maybe that changes in the future but all anyone needs to do is kick it down the road.

No it doesnt its, indicative of what type of offense hes playing. In 14 he averaged 15,5 per catch. Hes plenty fast. I just showed you he was measured as the 5th fastest player in all of 2015 hes a speedster. http://www.stack.com/a/these-players-clocked-the-10-fastest-speeds-during-the-2015-nfl-regular-season

Maybe not an elite speedster but hes a speedster. Everyone of the articles I posted referred to him as a deepth threat/speedster. Keep on being wrong.

What kind of offense was he playing in from 2009-2013 when he played with the Eagles where the true home run threat was Jackson? I specifically mentioned Jackson as a prime example of what an NFL speedster is from my perspective. While Maclin is fast and produces big plays, he's not the consistent home run threat that fits into my definition of what an NFL speedster is as evidenced by his career numbers. Try again.

the sun is shining and it's a beautiful day in Buffalo. good day to sign a contract. Maclin is waking up in the penthouse suite at the harborcenter marriott and taking in the views of lake Erie and saying to himself "where else would you rather be than right here right now?"

the sun is shining and it's a beautiful day in Buffalo. good day to sign a contract. Maclin is waking up in the penthouse suite at the harborcenter marriott and taking in the views of lake Erie and saying to himself "where else would you rather be than right here right now?"

Spectacular view. Great room. No better place to sell Buffalo....

I have a buddy who is a Ravens fan, and he really wants Maclin too, but admits that their cap situation is bad. They can make it work if they start cutting players, but I think the offer here is likely better.

We have more money to offer, and he would be working with people he's thrived with in the past, and they clearly want him.

I'm not saying it's a lock, but for a one year deal I think we are the better choice.

I agree on all of it. That's why I say they should pull the offer once he leaves. They never leave and come back.

Yeah and that's the sign of a high quality organization.. Putting the screws to potential FA signing if they decide to see what works best for him.

You always let a FA player do his tour.. That wins points for the organization long term... Being a dick and threatening a player and his agent by pulling a solid offer because your feelings are hurt won't win you anything. The Bills can up their offer if they don't want him to tour.. And that is the game.

Edited by ddaryl

Everyone's talking about Baltimore's cap room. But every year we see team's with little to no cap room sign people based on bonuses or structuring deals with less money up front. The fact that Baltimore's tight against the cap doesn't mean much to me.

There's the whole thing about Likely to be Earned incentives (which count towards the cap) and Not Likely To be Earned (which don't - and can be based on comparison to previous year's stats). Wonder if Baltimore could be able to get creative with NLTBE $$ - esp with Maclin's lower production last year?

I have a buddy who is a Ravens fan, and he really wants Maclin too, but admits that their cap situation is bad. They can make it work if they start cutting players, but I think the offer here is likely better.

We have more money to offer, and he would be working with people he's thrived with in the past, and they clearly want him.

I'm not saying it's a lock, but for a one year deal I think we are the better choice.

but according to many here we have the worst cap situation in the league and won't be able to sign anyone.

So did Russ make Maclin bacon and eggs this morning?

I'm assuming scrambled but I can see Maclin being a sunny side up guy. I also see turkey bacon because camp is about 7 weeks away.

i think Russ is trying to slip the fresh pastries past the trainers. You only get one chance to make a first impression. A couple bloody Marys too, right before they present the final numbers. He will be all tingly.

Yeah and that's the sign of a high quality organization.. Putting the screws to potential FA signing if they decide to see what works best for him.

You always let a FA player do his tour.. That wins points for the organization long term... Being a dick and threatening a player and his agent by pulling a solid offer because your feelings are hurt won't win you anything. The Bills can up their offer if they don't want him to tour.. And that is the game.

yep it's not all that different from college recruiting. You have to let the player make an informed decision, and have confidence in what you have presented. If you act desperate like you have no other options it's not good. The Bills are likely using Decker's availability as leverage just as Maclin and his agent are using the Ravens. Neither probably wants the other alternative but it's the dance. Edited by YoloinOhio