Football Outsiders: Bills will be 'measurably worse' in 2017

We get Dareus and Hughes back this year. Both were lost to Rex's scheme.

Plus we add in Ragland and Lawson.

Ragland projects as a back up MLB from what I've heard so far. I agree Dareus will be in a better position to succeed. Neutral on hughes who was consistently one of the better players week in and out under both coaches

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously too early to tell but I can only see this defense going up when compared to the Rex era. McDermott has shown before that he can do a lot with a little or inexperienced players. And the holdover players from Rex's time here are definitely more excited to get back to the 4-3, "see ball, get ball" defense. It's going to involve a lot less thinking for these guys so they can just get their assignment from the break and be ready to go and not have to survey the offense and call out 37 different checks because the QB broke wind during his cadence.

i cannot wait for fat!@#$face rex to joyfully say how bad the bills are yet talk about his jets as a building team.

that fat piece of tom brady excrement is and always has been pure trash.

Maybe. I just don't see the logic. Defense we are worse on paper for sure.

I think we are a notch behind talent-wise on defense, but at least we won't be playing a scheme that doesn't work.

I think we are a notch behind talent-wise on defense, but at least we won't be playing a scheme that doesn't work.

Scheme should have worked. Pettine did better with the same playbook. Rex just didn't care. It was a money grab, even got his brother in on it. I've never heard of a coach last to arrive and 1st to leave when preparing for games.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

As I see the talent and schedule, a six win season sounds about right to me. That would not be measurably worse. "measurably" worse would be a 3 or 4 win season which would be good for the rebuild fans as a 3 winscould get us the second or third overall pick! I always hope for the best but this way there is no disappointment

As I see the talent and schedule, a six win season sounds about right to me. That would not be measurably worse. "measurably" worse would be a 3 or 4 win season which would be good for the rebuild fans as a 3 winscould get us the second or third overall pick! I always hope for the best but this way there is no disappointment

A 5 to 7 win season is the worst case scenario. That is what we did under Dick Jauron year after year. I would rather win zero games next year than 6.

Not sure.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of money it happens though.

injuries happen, all the time and should be expected in a game like this but to project it or even go as far as to say you would be willing to bet a lot of money it happens, is really ridiculous.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/30/football-outsiders-editor-bills-will-measurably-worse-2017/

"Departures will leave the Buffalo Bills depending an awful lot on rookies this year, and rookies don't always fulfill their potential right away (if ever). Two of last year's top three receivers are gone. Two of last year's top three cornerbacks are gone. And while LeSean McCoy is still around to keep the running game dangerous, Mike Gillislee was outstanding last year and losing him really hurts Buffalo's depth."[/size]

I've said before, Gillislee was a big loss.

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!