Any stores you miss that aren't around anymore?

There were a lot of mom and pop movie rental stores and baseball card/comic book stores where I lived growing up. Pretty much all gone now.

Admittedly this clip I stumbled across last night made me think of this topic. I think Sizzler is still around though none by me anymore. But yeah this ad, all I could say is wow......

https://youtu.be/E3YGtQ40Qvs

Borders Books.

Great store. Badly run company. Were the first to market with an eReader by a wide margin (beat Kindle by about 5 years), but were so bad at marketing them that no one noticed. Then they outsourced their online presence to friggin' Amazon, of all companies.

Spencers. That store was great.

HA! I spotted one in the mall just last week and had to go in.....flashbacks of the days as kids when we would roam the malls for lack of anything better to do. (How much bowling and skating can you do in the winter?)

There's a little square near us that is like stepping back in time. There is a big fountain and a bandstand in the square, surrounded by a Soda Pop And Candy Shop, a place selling old albums, an old time theater, etc. It reminds me of Hamburg as a small kid, or maybe Mayberry! I go every weekend for the farmers market.

Blockbuster. I miss being able to walk through and find things I'd never think of looking for. I know I could probably do the same on Netflix, there was just something nice about going to the video store. There aren't any where I live.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Blockbuster. I miss being able to walk through and find things I'd never think of looking for. I know I could probably do the same on Netflix, there was just something nice about going to the video store. There aren't any where I live.

Same here. I don't do Netflix. Redbox is convenient and cheap, but I miss the old video stores.

Spencers. That store was great.

Still have one in the local mall. It's great when you walk in and see the funny props and shirts, then venture to the back to see the butt plugs and dildos.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

Just about all local and/or regional retailers like Kobackers, Sattlers, Hengerers, JN Adams, AMAs, Hills, Ames, etc from everywhere around the country are long gone as well as many national retailers like Woolworths, Neisners, Montgomery Wards, etc. Likely soon to be gone from malls near you are many currently familiar names like Sears and JC Penney.

I noticed from an article in the Buffalo News that Macys has left most of the malls in WNY. In fact, there have been a lot of articles recently about all the problems retail stores, especially department stores in malls, have been having. It's a consequence of changing trends in retailing, which happens fairly regularly in the retail industry.

There's also a lot of doom and gloom about shopping malls in general because of the problems in retailing. Mall foot traffic is seriously diminishing. When I go to the Chautauqua Mall, I go for specific stores: Jo-Ann Fabrics, Office Max, and this kitchen gadget store -- or the restaurants. When I go to the McKinley Mall, I don't actually go into the main mall but to its outlots: Pier One and Olive Garden. The last time I was actually in a mall just to "window shop" was probably four or five years ago to the Summit Mall in Erie, PA. I do my "window shopping" on line, and I think I'm more in mainstream these days than my friend who never shops on line (doesn't even have a computer) and regularly shops at malls.

Edited by SoTier