Any stores you miss that aren't around anymore?

I'm not a big fan of Radio Shack - most of their stuff was't great quality and was pretty expensive, but without it there is almost no place you can go to get a part/wire/adapter the same day you need it - you can find what you need on the Internet, but it's going to be days before you get it unless you pay big money for express shipping. The ability to run out and grab what you need immediately is what makes the place a loss to me.

Brand Names was also pretty cool- it was like Internet shopping before the Internet - look at the catalog, fill out a form and boom - here's your stuff - totally a manual version of Amazon....

Radio Shack. They sold mostly crap but when you needed a cable or adapter they had it. You can get all that through Amazon but if you need it immediately you're screwed.

Radio Shack was like Woolworths, sold mostly junk but always seemed to have what you wanted when you needed it.

Lechmere

Lechmere was great but they had a 30 day return policy on electronics.

It was like a free party rental for a kid with a credit card needing receivers and speakers etc..

That stuff hurt a lot of those electronics retailers but it used to be so competitive that most did it.

There were a lot of mom and pop movie rental stores and baseball card/comic book stores where I lived growing up. Pretty much all gone now.

Admittedly this clip I stumbled across last night made me think of this topic. I think Sizzler is still around though none by me anymore. But yeah this ad, all I could say is wow......

https://youtu.be/E3YGtQ40Qvs

Record Theatre.....they always had a great selection......I wasn't into mainstream music so much and info was hard to come by back then so on any given trip to Record Theatre a new album could have come out by a band/performer I'd like and it would be always be a great surprise.

Record Theatre.....they always had a great selection......I wasn't into mainstream music so much and info was hard to come by back then so on any given trip to Record Theatre a new album could have come out by a band/performer I'd like and it would be always be a great surprise.

You do realize that it's still threre:

https://www.recordtheatre.com/

Radio Shack. They sold mostly crap but when you needed a cable or adapter they had it. You can get all that through Amazon but if you need it immediately you're screwed.

It amazes me that thirty years ago Radio Shack basically catered to what's now known as the "maker community." But was so ineptly managed that when the maker community became a thing, they couldn't adjust back to what they were.

Media Play.

Books/Movies/Music/Video Games....

Was the perfect one stop shop for everything I am into. Used to spend hours browsing around the one on Transit with my friends as a teenager.