Game of Thrones: Season 7

/dev/null

In that particular case, perpendicular. Basic cavalry vs. pike tactics is that you want to break the line and open a gap for the cavalry to get through into the tactical depth. That leaves you with a wing of the line isolated with cavalry on its flank and rear, with the other wing needing to reorient (with difficulty) to support it. Allows you to exploit the mobility of your cavalry to defeat the wings of the army separately - or better yet, rout and pursue them.

Parallel, you don't attack the line in depth, meaning your cavalry can't exploit the opening. Reserves behind the front line will stop your cavalry cold, and you never want to break the momentum of your cavalry charge, or you'll lose badly. So a deep, narrow penetration of the line is better than a wide, shallow one, as it allows you to better maintain the momentum.

(Source: Philip II of Macedon and the tactics he developed for the Companion Cavalry. Actually, the producers probably did it because it looked cool, but they did get it right.)

That line was like 4 guys deep. Even if we factor in the effective radius of dragonflame to about two men (which is conservative considering he took out a couple of food trucks which they probably should have kept and eaten but oh well) and consider that he'd probably have to inhale again (fuzzy on winged basilisk flammable respiration) I'm going with either tactical mistake, or female driver. Either way a blunder, resulted in predictable and completely avoidable catapult-induced fender bender.

Also, re: cave paintings...transition from Neolithic interpretive symbology to postmodern Whitewalker parietal was for lack of a better word stark.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thought is that Jamie will end up as the one to slay Cersei

That has been the prevailing theory since the end of S6

Jamie was the Kingslayer

Jamie will be the Queenslayer

Jamie started the War (by pushing Brandon Stark out of the Window)

Jamie will end the War (by killing Cersei)

Why is it that I can suspend my disbelief about dragons and undead things, but it bothers me that a ship can get from dragonstone to eastwatch so fast?

And what kind of plan is it that seven men think they can go out and fight an army of undead thinking they're going to survive?

No more bastard of Winterfell, he is officially Jon Targaryen.

Fasten your seatbelts for the final two episodes!

-Sam loses patience at the worst possible time.

-Bronn managed to save Jaime and apparently gets him far away from the battle scene.

-Davos must have a motor to that boat.

-The reunion between Jaime and Tyrion was rushed and weak.

-Cute joke about Gendry still rowing.

-Three people who pet full sized dragons - Dany, Tyrion, Jon. I think it's safe to assume they're all Targaryens.

-Arya may have trained at the House of Black and White, but she's no match for Littlefinger.

-I'd like Quentin Tarantino to just direct an episode of Jon and company just riding and talking for an hour before encountering the Army of the Dead.

Best comment is that the chemistry between Jon and the dragon (and Jon and Gendry) was a million times bigger than Danny and Jon.

Jon and Gendry can relate to each other being bastards of father's who won Robert's rebellion (just realized Robert used a hammer just like Gendry). I agree that there's a lack of chemistry between Dany and Jon compared to say Jon and Ygritte. I don't know if it's bad acting or the urgency of the moment, but maybe give them time.

No more bastard of Winterfell, he is officially Jon Targaryen.

Fasten your seatbelts for the final two episodes!

Not "officially" but there were two big hints

Drogon's reaction to Jon

Gilley :w00t: asking what's an annulment

-Cute joke about Gendry still rowing.

That made me :lol:

I agree that there's a lack of chemistry between Dany and Jon compared to say Jon and Ygritte. I don't know if it's bad acting or the urgency of the moment, but maybe give them time.

I dunno. The scene where Jon says he has to be the one lead the raid beyond the wall, Dany looked like she was getting wet

Drogon's reaction to Jon

there was always the question of whether lyanna had Jon out of wedlock, making him a Targaryen bastard. That question was answered. It seems clear bran will tell Jon who his parents are and sam (thanks to gilley) will remember there is evidence R&L were married.

there was always the question of whether lyanna had Jon out of wedlock, making him a Targaryen bastard. That question was answered. It seems clear bran will tell Jon who his parents are and sam (thanks to gilley) will remember there is evidence R&L were married.

Yes. That's important and makes him the rightful King of the seven kingdoms. I hope Gilly took that book with her.

Best comment is that the chemistry between Jon and the dragon (and Jon and Gendry) was a million times bigger than Danny and Jon.

Danny is smitten with Jon (and so might be the dragon), Sam walks out as Gilly is about to tell him about Lyanna Stark's marriage. Does it record a birth of a son?

Littlefinger is treading on thin ice that asswipe. What was written on that scroll from Sansa while at Kings Landing?

Welcome back Gendry and your hammer.

Does Sam leave the Nights Watch and become head of the Tarley house?

Jon and Gendry can relate to each other being bastards of father's who won Robert's rebellion (just realized Robert used a hammer just like Gendry). I agree that there's a lack of chemistry between Dany and Jon compared to say Jon and Ygritte. I don't know if it's bad acting or the urgency of the moment, but maybe give them time.

see above. Jon's got more on his mind than Danny right now.

Drogon's reaction to Jon

I dunno. The scene where Jon says he has to be the one lead the raid beyond the wall, Dany looked like she was getting wet

What did she say? I've become to like you?

Danny being the Aunt should make her the next in succession and not Jon.