Rick Dennison interview on WGR

I'd prefer it if they designed the offense around his unique skillset. He's at his best when improvising. It doesn't have to be a bad thing that he holds on to the ball longer most because he can avoid pressure longer than most. Designed rollouts, moving pocket, guys running deep, etc. Be unconventional.

Read the Cover 1 article I posted above; 3-step drops are indeed within his comfort zone.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude...

http://www.cover1.net/2017/03/tyrod-taylors-2016-passing-campaign-misinterpreted-misused/

"Statistics show Tyrod Taylor is a capable quick-game quarterback. On the season, Taylor completed roughly 65 percent of his throws and had an accuracy rating of 79.1 percent when throwing quick-game off of a 3-step drop. The Bills’ offense motioned 33 percent of the time while they had a quick-game concept play called. The quick game allowed Taylor to diagnose the defensive coverage pre-snap and find the correct receiver to throw the football to post-snap. The quick game is an effective way to pick up a decent amount of yards on early downs. Some of Taylor’s best passing games were when he was efficient in the 3-step passing game (See above chart)."

The chart wasn't there and the example they have of a 3 step drop was out of the shotgun.

Would like to see a numbers on how many times TT did 3 step drop from under center.

I'd prefer it if they designed the offense around his unique skillset. He's at his best when improvising. It doesn't have to be a bad thing that he holds on to the ball longer most because he can avoid pressure longer than most. Designed rollouts, moving pocket, guys running deep, etc. Be unconventional.

I want to be less predictable... Deep drops and stuff on first downs and 2nd and shorts.

I'd also like plays designed to get the ball out of his hands quicker. We ran 17 screens in 2016. The patriots ran probably 20 against buffalo in 2016.

The chart wasn't there and the example they have of a 3 step drop was out of the shotgun.

Would like to see a numbers on how many times TT did 3 step drop from under center.

From what I recall in that article, the under center numbers were better than shotgun. Could be a case of small sample size - cuz we ran 90% of plays from shotgun/pistol...

Dude...

http://www.cover1.net/2017/03/tyrod-taylors-2016-passing-campaign-misinterpreted-misused/

"Statistics show Tyrod Taylor is a capable quick-game quarterback. On the season, Taylor completed roughly 65 percent of his throws and had an accuracy rating of 79.1 percent when throwing quick-game off of a 3-step drop. The Bills offense motioned 33 percent of the time while they had a quick-game concept play called. The quick game allowed Taylor to diagnose the defensive coverage pre-snap and find the correct receiver to throw the football to post-snap. The quick game is an effective way to pick up a decent amount of yards on early downs. Some of Taylors best passing games were when he was efficient in the 3-step passing game (See above chart)."

When will you learn facts have no place here. Lol

That 7 step drop td throw to clay was a thing of beauty. I am really interested to see tyrod in this offense. I think he can step his game up

is it really coachable like he says?

Well i see it as like coaching a player to hit when they are in a slump. Its been done before. It takes awhile to get rid of the bad habits but eventually coach will help get your timing back. Its just a timing thing. I personally am a bowler and have had to change my timing before. Its difficult at first and feels conpletely odd but the more reps it becomes muscle memory. It may feel odd for Tyrod at first because the timing of his feet and arm will have to be synchronized but once that is lined up its all making it muscle memory in getting the ball out

Dude...

"Statistics show Tyrod Taylor is a capable quick-game quarterback. On the season, Taylor completed roughly 65 percent of his throws and had an accuracy rating of 79.1 percent when throwing quick-game off of a 3-step drop. The Bills offense motioned 33 percent of the time while they had a quick-game concept play called. The quick game allowed Taylor to diagnose the defensive coverage pre-snap and find the correct receiver to throw the football to post-snap. The quick game is an effective way to pick up a decent amount of yards on early downs. Some of Taylors best passing games were when he was efficient in the 3-step passing game (See above chart)."[/size]

Show me 1 video of Tyrod going 1,2,3, throw. Not 1,2,3, hop, throw or 1,2, Pat throw. You don't know quarterback footwork if you think anything Tyrod has ever done fits that description.

He takes the longest avg time to throw in the NFL at 3.22 seconds which is embarrassing

Edited by kdiggz

has his offense ever asked him to do a quick 3 step drop? has he played in a WCO before?

Then how do you know he cannot do it?

the ability to make a read, anticipate the throw, and deliver on time are required to be a successful QB in this league. no offensive model in the world requires you to hang on to the ball for the longest amount of time in the entire NFL

Dennison was interesting in that he said He didn't care what he was taught or coached before or what the scheme was. But didn't sound like he was very impressed with it.

No surprise. It wasn't very impressive.

I think you guys need to listen more carefully to what Dennison said.

He said the QB in his offense has to make pre-snap reads to get the team into the right play. He doesn't have to make a lot of post-snap reads. The play and the matchups that are apparent at the line of scrimmage determines where the ball is going. It doesn't have anything to do with Tyrod seeing the field scanning the defense as the play evolves, etc. It's come to the line, see what the defense is, take the snap, throw the ball. It's how KC and a lot of teams play.

He said he knows Tyrod can do it. How does he know? Well, he didn't say, but he had him in Baltimore and he's worked with him for a couple of months. He's probably watched Taylor work out. He knows Tyrod CAN do it; it's just a question of whether he WILL do it. So discussion about whether this is coachable, which Dennison answered, really isn't relevant. Obviously it's teachable - take the ball and throw it to THAT guy. The QB just has to get the team into the right play.

Although at first in response to the question about whether this is a competition, he said everyone competes, late in the interview he admitted that one of their objectives will be to get Tyrod a lot of reps. Tyrod is the guy. We'll see if he can do what Dennison wants.

the ability to make a read, anticipate the throw, and deliver on time are required to be a successful QB in this league. no offensive model in the world requires you to hang on to the ball for the longest amount of time in the entire NFL

Right, but our previous offense was not a quick hitting offense. This WCO seemingly will be.

You can't say Tyrod can't run it because he hasn't ever been asked to do so.

I think Tyrod will benefit from being forced to make quick throws based on the play calling.

Tyrod did not do well in our previous offense where he was supposed to identify open guys and make progressions during the play. No doubt there.

This offense will have him identify where to go with the ball pre play. That could make all the difference for him.

Tyrod had 51 under center plays last year, some 3 some 5 and some 7 I would assume, and his Y/A were .5 more than when in the shotgun, 7.3 vs 6.8.

Had 3 TDs no picks and a 104 rate which is good and 8 sacks isn't too bad.

So last year under center, it seams he was throwing the ball long while under center, whereas the WCO doesn't really give the WR time to get very far when the ball has to come out after 3 steps from the QB. Can he do it IDK we shall see.

Also wasn't a factor at all running the ball under center 11 rushes for 16 yards.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaylTy00/splits/2016/