HOF player with worst teams in NFL history

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee Roy Selmon, maybe.

Nine years and 44 wins, though one year was a strike year with only nine games played. Still ...

44/137 is a 32% winning percentage. Put another way, a win-loss of 44 wins and 95 losses ... just an astonishingly bad record over a long period of time. And Selmon was an extremely good player.

Edited by Thurman#1

Walter Payton. Has a ring with the 85 Bears, but that team would of won regardless of the tailback position. Prior to that, in his prime, he was the most dominant player in his era. Those were some very bad Bears teams.

Edited by Gregsbills 74

1st one who comes to mind for me is Archie Manning. Yes, only a College Football HOFer, but he was absolute magic on arguably the worst team's ever 15 year start to their franchise. His lineage speaks for itself.

Barry Sanders was so good... unworldly in his prime...

Nobody in the NFL today even comes close to what he could do with the ball.

Don't get me wrong... there are plenty of good to great RBs in the game today. But Sanders was on an entirely different level. There were many games when he was completely unstoppable. Load the box, game plan (everyone game planned against Barry) and it didn't matter.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Archie Manning in the Hall, if so he ranks up there... as on futile teams..

1st one who comes to mind for me is Archie Manning. Yes, only a College Football HOFer, but he was absolute magic on arguably the worst team's ever 15 year start to their franchise. His lineage speaks for itself.

Missed it but that and Barry were my first thoughts.

Barry for current hall of famers. Honorable mention to Walter Jones. One of the best left tackles to play the game but in his twelve year career they had 3-4 good seasons. They did make it to one Super Bowl though.

Future hall of fame players: Joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson.

The coolest daddy of them all, Lem Barney, also wore #20 for the Lions.

edit: Lions did make the playoffs once during his career, easy to forget that....

Juice got to the playoffs, Sanders to an NFC title game.

Edited by row_33

Lee Roy Selmon, maybe.

Nine years and 44 wins, though one year was a strike year with only nine games played. Still ...

44/137 is a 32% winning percentage. Put another way, a win-loss of 44 wins and 95 losses ... just an astonishingly bad record over a long period of time. And Selmon was an extremely good player.

...maybe even the Selmon brothers as a whole......but I'd vote Barry Sanders.....guy had more moves than Ex-Lax.........

Lee Roy Selmon, maybe.

That is bad but Thomas' winning percentage through 10 seasons with the Browns is actually a tick worse at 30%. 48/160

And his rookie season in 2007 the Browns won 10 games missing the final wild card though. Throw out that first season and over the last 9 season Thomas and the Browns have a 26% winning percentage.

Barry Sanders was so good... unworldly in his prime...

Nobody in the NFL today even comes close to what he could do with the ball.

Don't get me wrong... there are plenty of good to great RBs in the game today. But Sanders was on an entirely different level. There were many games when he was completely unstoppable. Load the box, game plan (everyone game planned against Barry) and it didn't matter.

theres a big reason despite several playoff teams needing a RB no one came calling for Barry on his early retirement

He's not a HOFer but an honorable mention goes to Steven Jackson. He never made the playoffs with the Rams. And from 2005 to 2012 (throwing out his rookie season where he only started 3 games) the Rams won 36 of 128 games for a winning percentage of only 28%. Rams also probably have one of the worst ever five year runs ever between 2007 and 2011 (most of Jackson's prime) winning only 15 of 80 games for a .187 winning percentage.

The Detroit Lions won 17 games in the five year stretch from 2005 to 2009, that includes their winless 2008 season. That is the next most futile five year stretch I have found so far next to the Rams 15 wins.

Edit: Bucs won only 16 games between 1983 and 1987.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib