Optimism Anyone?

H2o

Level of Optimism at this Stage  

241 members have voted

1. 1. I know it's early, but where are you at right now?

• Extremely Optimistic - Definitely Expecting​ Playoffs
    • Mildly Optimistic - Expecting Improvement, but no Playoffs
    • Slightly Optimistic - Hoping for the Best, but low Expectations
    • Not Optimistic - This Team is Still Hopeless

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Russ Brandon gets fired and we conduct a real GM and coaching search I will have hope again. Right now I see an aging and deteriorating roster. The defense peaked in 2014 and the offense peaked in 2015 and the talent for both has declined steadily since those peak years.

We hired a defensive coach from the Ron Rivera/Leslie Frazier Tree. That coach ran the last draft from a board created by scouts that were then fired. The GM search ended with Sean's wrestling buddy from Carolina who doesn't have a scouting background but is more of an admin guy. They say they share a vision but that vision looks like getting players for the next year to help out the coach. The future has been not attended to again

And how will Sean the Wrestler and Brandon Beane settle disputes? Let's say Brandon wants a QB and Sean wants a LB next year in the first round. Sean McDermott, "We'll probably get that wrestling mat out." (9 minutes into video)

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/McDermott-on-Beane-First-Rookie-Minicamp/7b10fe63-9217-4da9-baa7-102207d2fd24

First off they did do a real search and secondly it's not about where they came from but who they are as people and how they want to build this team.

You're just pissed we didn't pick your boyfriend Mahomes, don't worry you will love this team when we get Darnold.

Just trying to see where everyone is at and why? I am mildly optimistic myself. I expect improvement, but the schedule coupled with the many changes makes me think we fall just short of the post season again.

Just having Rex out of the way should be an improvement. If our offense is still a top 10 offense like last year, that's a good thing. Our special teams needs to improve and it looks like we have a much better kicker now. If our defense improves with real coaches and new players, we should be competitive. Our defense was awful last season, just average would be a big step in the right direction.

There are two keys to the schedule to making the playoffs.

They need to go 4-0 against NYJ and Miami

Then they need to win 3 of the following 4 - Denver, at Cinci, at LA Chargers, at Chiefs. These are all winnable games with each team having issues.

That is 7 wins out of those 8 games.

That means they need only get 2-3 more wins of the remaining 8 to have a legit shot at the playoffs.

9-7 with the above wins against AFC teams probably makes the playoffs, 10-6 nearly certain.

This team needs a big win early - Denver at home or upset Carolina on the road to get some momentum.

First off they did do a real search and secondly it's not about where they came from but who they are as people and how they want to build this team.

You're just pissed we didn't pick your boyfriend Mahomes, don't worry you will love this team when we get Darnold.

They will win more than 3 games so forget about Darnold

I never understand why people think intentionally tanking is any kind of answer. For one high draft pick? Not try for an entire season? Insane to me.

They're running it perfectly. They're set up well to compete this year, especially if Taylor plays well. If he doesn't and they do go 7-9, they have an extra 1st and can maneuver up into a higher pick if they want to.

It's quite simple to understand actually. The team, as it currently is built, is over rated. People say this is a veteran team built to get some wins now, but how good and how deep is this team?

We are one McCoy groin pull away from being a run first team without a runner

Watkins is one boo-boo away from having a peg leg

Dareus is one urine sample away from an extended break

So why not embrace the tank? Look at what the 7-9 average season has gotten us to. A lifetime in purgatory.

If you trust the coach and the new direction, trust them to learn hard lessons this year and then learn from their mistakes.

You guys are going to question not tanking when the Jets flop this year and pick the QB we want higher than us.

People make it seem so easy to trade up with our two first round picks, but that is no guarantee. Why not tank, get the QB on our own and use the other first rounds pick for a new wide receiver or linemen to protect the new asset.

I'm very optimistic about the future.

We finally have some young bright minds in place.

It's refreshing to see when a little over 7 years ago we had Ralph(90+), Buddy Nix (70), and Chan (almost 70) trying to run the show.

OK so talent wise I honestly think we're even on offense (Zay=Woods) lost TD Mike which will hurt but getting Sammy back which will help.

We scored 25 points per game, only 9 teams better than that last year. Certainly enough to get us a playoff shot.

Defense we should see a slight upgrade in talent with Ragland, Shaq, Hyde, and I think the rookie CB White can't be any worse than Gilmore's pathetic 2016 performance.

So the question is, can McDermott, with maybe 10% better talent, improve this defense enough to stop guys like LeVeon, Ajayi and Brady from destroying us like they did last year? We gave up almost 24 points per game which was in the middle of the pack but man we had some seriously embarrassing outings . I'm a firm believer in the value of defensive systems being overrated, that there really aren't many surprises the NFL OC's and quarterbacks don't expect and plan for. In the end you need aggressive, hungry, badass players that are getting off blocks and flying to the ball. It's nothing Rex didn't preach, or every other guy that's running a defense.

I think we are still slow at LB, and still surprised we didn't draft a true SS. The more I think about it, whether or not Ragland can play fast enough might be the make or break to this year. They say he can stay on the field and cover well enough, that's could be huge for us. With that in mind, here you go.......

I have no emotion left for the Bills at this time. They will always be my team but right now I am waiting for them to show me something.

Totally agree. Right now, I'm not optimistic. I just can't invest in this team emotionally any more. It's too painful. I'd like them to do well -- and I certainly wouldn't root against them -- but I don't have a shred of hope that they will do any better this time around than they've been doing for the last decade ...

Totally agree. Right now, I'm not optimistic. I just can't invest in this team emotionally any more. It's too painful. I'd like them to do well -- and I certainly wouldn't root against them -- but I don't have a shred of hope that they will do any better this time around than they've been doing for the last decade ...

This should permanently posted to this site.

As a 50+ year follower of the Bills there's no way I could have said it any better.

Go Bills?

It's kinda two fold. It's like watching your mother in law back off a cliff in your brand new Corvette. I'm glad to see a new front office that is more concerned with bringing in quality players that fit scheme instead of overpaying players who really don't want to be here. I'm glad to see a management that will handle the cap correctly instead of giving out ridiculous contracts. I'm looking forward to seeing a healthy and dicisplined roster on the field. Looking forward to accountability and less of stupid penalties. But I see .500 at best, but a step in the right direction.

19 - 0 Baby. For you Senator.

0-16 Baby! For you Darnold!

Just kidding (kind of). I think we'll be around where Vegas thinks we'll be, but I like our trend and future.

Edited by Augie