Optimism Anyone?

H2o

Level of Optimism at this Stage  

241 members have voted

1. 1. I know it's early, but where are you at right now?

• Extremely Optimistic - Definitely Expecting​ Playoffs
    • Mildly Optimistic - Expecting Improvement, but no Playoffs
    • Slightly Optimistic - Hoping for the Best, but low Expectations
    • Not Optimistic - This Team is Still Hopeless

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cautiously optimistic. Long term this could be a very good situation, but this group of new coaches and new FO people (which aren't even all hired yet) are still a work in progress. Early returns are definitely reason to believe good things can happen. But it'll take some time.

Two things make me very pessimistic about the 2017 season...

1 - Tyrod...Is he capable of improving significantly? 2015 & 2016('16 may actually have been a bit of a regression for him) were pretty much the same TT. Have we seen the best TT is capable of?

2 - The schedule is brutal.

Color me three quarters full of Koolaid. I believe we will be playing meaningful football in December. As some have stated: we have a top ten offense, what should be an improved defense, and a coach that doesn't give games away. All of those things add up in my book to a much improved team that doesn't beat themselves. A step in the right direction, to say the least.

Now God forbid, Taylor gets dinged along the way and Peterman steps in, throws it around the yard or over the middle, and then we......play in January. Shhhhh

I'm pessimistic about being optimistic. Can we add that choice to the poll?

Nice Edited by iinii

Mildly optimistic that we make the playoffs this year; extremely optimistic that we make the playoffs next year & many years to follow. That's about the most optimistic I've felt about this team since the drought began.

Pretty much my thinking here. There is light at the end of the tunnel my friends.

If Russ Brandon gets fired and we conduct a real GM and coaching search I will have hope again. Right now I see an aging and deteriorating roster. The defense peaked in 2014 and the offense peaked in 2015 and the talent for both has declined steadily since those peak years.

We hired a defensive coach from the Ron Rivera/Leslie Frazier Tree. That coach ran the last draft from a board created by scouts that were then fired. The GM search ended with Sean's wrestling buddy from Carolina who doesn't have a scouting background but is more of an admin guy. They say they share a vision but that vision looks like getting players for the next year to help out the coach. The future has been not attended to again

And how will Sean the Wrestler and Brandon Beane settle disputes? Let's say Brandon wants a QB and Sean wants a LB next year in the first round. Sean McDermott, "We'll probably get that wrestling mat out." (9 minutes into video)

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/McDermott-on-Beane-First-Rookie-Minicamp/7b10fe63-9217-4da9-baa7-102207d2fd24

neither of those two have even seen a regular season game yet and you're crying until they get a real gm/coach you wont have hope again?

are you going to cry the blues for the next 4 or 5 years? LOL

Mildly optimistic that we make the playoffs this year; extremely optimistic that we make the playoffs next year & many years to follow. That's about the most optimistic I've felt about this team since the drought began.

this where I stand although had the option been there I would of chose "cautiously optimistic" simply based on the unknown but I too see all these changes leading to a possible good future for the buffalo bills.

Optimistic for tailgate success. The Irish cream for the coffee really stepped things up last season. A couple more key additions like that and we'll be knocking on the door of playoff tailgating.

Just trying to see where everyone is at and why? I am mildly optimistic myself. I expect improvement, but the schedule coupled with the many changes makes me think we fall just short of the post season again.

I voted slightly, because I always hope for the best.

Another option could have been something like, "This year will be tough, but the future is looking bright." That would have been my choice. I'm very optimistic about this team in 2019 and beyond.

neither of those two have even seen a regular season game yet and you're crying until they get a real gm/coach you wont have hope again?

are you going to cry the blues for the next 4 or 5 years? LOL

this where I stand although had the option been there I would of chose "cautiously optimistic" simply based on the unknown but I too see all these changes leading to a possible good future for the buffalo bills.

The word I used was a proper coach and GM search. They have not had a proper GM search in my lifetime. Can Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane work out? I have already laid out that possibility. But the process of falling in love with Sean was the same flawed process that gave us Rex Ryan.

The word I used was a proper coach and GM search. They have not had a proper GM search in my lifetime. Can Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane work out? I have already laid out that possibility. But the process of falling in love with Sean was the same flawed process that gave us Rex Ryan.

give it a season at least before making the conclusion as the whether they are a proper hc/gm combo. hell, you never know, you're just making a speculation that fits your agenda.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

give it a season at least before making the conclusion as the whether they are a proper hc/gm combo. hell, you never know, you're just making speculation that fit your agenda.

You are welcome to do so. 17 years of no playoffs and the same mistakes over and over and I no longer blindly believe. The real games will start soon and if they make the playoffs you can throw all my skepticism back in my face.

If our defense can improved just a little bit we have a decent chance to sneak into the playoffs.

There are several teams on the schedule we can beat even with only a slightly improved defensive performance because these teams either have suspect offenses (SO) or were basically not that good overall (NTG) last season:

Jets Twice (SO/NTG) Obviously not a very good team.

Bengals (SO/NTG) Beat them last year. Can do it again.

Chargers (NTG) Very inconsistent. Susceptible to turnovers and mistakes.

Chiefs (SO) Smith can be stopped. Not a high flying offense.

Colts (SO/NTG) Poor defense. Generally suspect coaching. Almost a one player team.

Broncos (SO) Poor offense.

Dolphins Twice (SO) Slow down the run.

Panthers (NTG) Last season was bad compared to two seasons ago. Just slow down Cam.

Then, the other teams we face have really great offenses where our defense needs to play much better.

Patriots

Falcons

Raiders

Buccaneers

Saints

We can reasonably win 8 games from the first list with just a little bit better defensive performance. With a much better defensive performance, maybe we can win two games from the bottom list.

A couple teams are in the middle and perhaps there should be a middle list. Carolina can be great at times. The Chiefs are usually a really great team and hard to beat. Rivers and Luck can have huge games. The Saints, Bucs, Falcons, and Raiders defenses can be terrible. Regardless, the key is for us to maintain our offensive scoring from last year and just get some sort of improvement on defense. I suppose it's possible with our defensive draft picks over the past two years. If Lawson, Ragland, and White play great and Darby returns to form, who knows? We still have Hughes, Dareus, and Williams!

You are welcome to do so. 17 years of no playoffs and the same mistakes over and over and I no longer blindly believe. The real games will start soon and if they make the playoffs you can throw all my skepticism back in my face.

why do that. seems dirt throwing from both sides is real heavy now as it is. no, I have been really turned off by this board the last couple days and as much as I don't want it to look like I've been run off, I'm stepping away for a while. no need to be subject to the negativity that lingers heavy around here. I thought off seasons were bad enough on past boards but this place is no different.

enjoy the off season

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

I am the most optimistic I've ever been in my life as a fan of the Bills.

Born in 1989, the Super Bowl Era for me was non-existent. I pick up in 1998 with my first game being the San Francisco 49ers with Steve Young at Buffalo.

We started that year 1-3 and then beat the stacked 49ers squad to reach 10-6 that year to make the playoffs.

I was hooked.

Got another taste of the playoffs that following year at Tennessee and the rest is history.

I think the Bills are finally doing things the right way and I have 100% faith in Coach McD to get things done and to lead us back to the playoffs and beyond.

I like this

Im very optimistic. Its change.

why do that. seems dirt throwing from both sides is real heavy now as it is. no, I have been really turned off by this board the last couple days and as much as I don't want it to look like I've been run off, I'm stepping away for a while. no need to be subject to the negativity that lingers heavy around here. I thought off seasons were bad enough on past boards but this place is no different.

enjoy the off season

When I have confidence in a player or sports team it bothers me not at all if others don't agree. If the Bills are really on the verge of turning it around and YOU know that and others don't, shouldn't that make you happy? You know more than these jaded fans and soon Sean will be winning games like clockwork. Don't get why anyone would be upset if they thought their team was on the right track. All the skepticism will be gone soon if you are correct.

To be more accurate, skepticism is the wrong word. The correct word is pessimism.