This is not a rebuild, folks...

eball

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tyrod can't play defense too. What would our record be if our defense showed up against Miami and the jets? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would the Bills record be if Tyrod threw a TD against Miami in OT?

You mean after he gave them the lead, carpenter missed a field goal and the defense gave up the lead? Hahjahaha hilarious. Such a troll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean after he gave them the lead, carpenter missed a field goal and the defense gave up the lead? Hahjahaha hilarious. Such a troll Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You keep demanding only the defense improve. Derek Carr won 12 games last year with a worse defense than the Bills. QB play matters.

You mean after he gave them the lead, carpenter missed a field goal and the defense gave up the lead? Hahjahaha hilarious. Such a troll Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You keep demanding only the defense improve. Derek Carr won 12 games last year with a worse defense than the Bills. QB play matters.

Awww change the subject on the Miami games? Face it there is zero argument to b made that tyrod lost the Miami games. The defense did. Win those and it's playoffs. Bree's threw for the most yards and won 8 games. Your point?

Awww change the subject on the Miami games? Face it there is zero argument to b made that tyrod lost the Miami games. The defense did. Win those and it's playoffs. Bree's threw for the most yards and won 8 games. Your point? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't convince me that QB play is not important. Great QB play is necessary but not sufficient.

I am in the improve BOTH the defense and the QB play camp. It doesn't have to be just one.

Edited by jeffismagic

Awww change the subject on the Miami games? Face it there is zero argument to b made that tyrod lost the Miami games. The defense did. Win those and it's playoffs. Bree's threw for the most yards and won 8 games. Your point? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't convince me that QB play is not important. Great QB play is necessary but not sufficient.

I am in the improve BOTH the defense and the QB play camp. It doesn't have to be just one.

Tyrod play was sufficient enough to lead the number 6 offense in the league. How do you not see with great defense to go with this offense we will win a lot of games?

Over the last 2 years the below stats are of 2 AFC QBs. One is the aforementioned "franchise QB" and one is Tyrod Taylor:

QB 1 - 248.5 yards per game, 1.62 TD per game, .41 INT per game

QB 2 - 276.5 yard per game, 1.5 TD per game, 1.03 INT per game

Lastly, Flacco has a winning percentage of .423 and Taylor .52 over the last 2 years. I just don't see QB2 as significantly more effective? What am I missing (and please don't talk about 5 years ago)? Right now why is Flacco a "franchise QB" and Taylor not? Personally I don't think either are (both solid game managers).

We can talk about 2014, where Flacco brought his team to a winning record and went toe to toe with Brady in the playoffs. That's not 5 years ago.

Flacco > TT.

The fact remains if tyrod maintains the offense from the last two years and this defense gets better we will win more games. The defense lost those key division games. Defense couldn't hold leads. Sure tyrod can do better but as long he maintains the number 6 offense we will win at least 7 games like the last two years

You're continued ignorance of the defense his hilarious and obvious trolling at this point. The entire offense was one of the top in the NFL with taylor running it...the defense was far from it. If it ain't broke don't fit it. One side of the ball showed up every week...the other never showed.

I guess if 16th can be considered "one of the top in the NFL" then yeah, we were one of the top offenses.

Neither side was all that good. The offense was better. But there were plenty of games where they didn't show up either. And when they did it was mostly the run game.

Edited by Thurman#1

Tyrod play was sufficient enough to lead the number 6 offense in the league. How do you not see with great defense to go with this offense we will win a lot of games? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The offense was middle of the pack with a top rushing number and bottom of the barrel passing number. Wins and losses are a team stat but team offense is JUST Tyrod? You are twisting yourself into a pretzel here defending this QB. If he was totally responsible for every point the offense scored why did he and his agent take a pay cut? Why didn't he demand a raise instead?

Edited by jeffismagic

According to Leroi, Sean McDermott thinks this is a playoff team. And I assume he also sold the Pegulas that he would take this team to the playoffs this year.

And you already know the Bills are not a playoff team, right? Just like you already know that McD and Beane don't know what they're doing. Life must be boring when you know in advance what's going to happen. Edited by mannc

We can talk about 2014, where Flacco brought his team to a winning record and went toe to toe with Brady in the playoffs. That's not 5 years ago.

Flacco > TT.

If there's where you want to hang your hat go for it. A tough playoff loss a few years back.

Flacco is a solid starting QB. I'm just here to provide perspective. I always laugh when people say "even if we had Alex Smith..." without them even realizing that there isn't anything that he does better. Tyrod is in the class with those game manager guys (and near the top of it by most statistical measures). The only people that don't realize that are Bills "fans." We can certainly upgrade but when we disparage our guy to prop up guys that are worse, that's asinine. He's a decent starter that's every bit as good as Flacco, Tannehill, and Smith at this point.

And you already know the Bills are not a playoff team, right? Just like you already know that McD and Beane don't know what they're doing. Life must be boring when you know in advance what's going to happen.

If the Jets hired the defensive coordinator from the Panthers who had a worse defense than Rob and Rex Ryan last year and made him the GM and had him pick players in the draft then fire the scouts who setup the board I would mock them mercilessly. It does not look like a winning hand.

Edited by jeffismagic

There are many ways to win in the NFL, one is not better than the other, but as it relates to our Bills currently we don't presently have a Carr, so mgmt has to find a way to win without one, surely the maintaining a great running attack, while changing the D to better vs the run, would on paper achieve this until such time as we finds a Carr

IMO our Bills were absolutely a playoff team in both 2015 and 2016 as they had a D that could have stopped the run, and IMO it is the prime reason they did not succeed, over and above QB play

As for the Raiders, they are busily trying to improve that D, just look at what they drafted, they are not just resting on Carr bringing them back to the playoffs....

jc

You're right week one. after that non existent. miami, jets, raiders etc etc.

You mean if he leads our offense to the top 5 in the league and our defense gives up 200 yard rushers week after week? I'd say it would be time to move on from the coach.

Pats had number 1 defense, broncos, seahawks, ravens, etc. BUT BUT BUT passing!

The Pats had the #8 defense.

Oh, I see your problem here, dude, defenses and offenses are both ranked by yards, not by points, and for good reason.

Points is much more of a team stat than is yards. Yards better isolates defensive units from the offense and STs and also isolates offensive units from defense and STs.

Defenses aren't included at all in the offensive yards stat, but they do score points. And they have a huge hand in setting up a lot of points with good field position.

When the defense intercepts a pass and runs it back to the one and the offense loses 27 yards on two sacks and a penalty but the kicker converts, the points stat says "Nice, the offense did a great job, add three points to the Bills scoring." Same when a linebacker runs a fumble in for a touchdown or a returner runs back a kick for a TD, the points stat says "Way to go offense, seven points added to your total."

Again, yards is how both offenses and defenses are rated. For a reason.

Yeah, the Bills did well in scoring points. A lot of that was due to good field position and the run game scoring 29 TDs while the pass game scored 17. A lot of the reason the Bills defense allowed a lot of points was that they were left in the 23rd worst field position on average. The offense and STs did them no favors whatsoever.

Tyrod play was sufficient enough to lead the number 6 offense in the league. How do you not see with great defense to go with this offense we will win a lot of games? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The offense was middle of the pack with a top rushing number and bottom of the barrel passing number. Wins and losses are a team stat but team offense is JUST Tyrod? You are twisting yourself into a pretzel here defending this QB. If he was totally responsible for every point the offense scored why did he and his agent take a pay cut? Why didn't he demand a raise instead?

Well you blame him solely for all the losses so why can't I give him credit for leading the offense? You blame our defensive failures on him.

What needs to be better more next year? The offense or the defense? Answer that

Offense was top ten in scoring. It was not the reason we didn't make the playoffs.

No but it was part of the reason. Again, 16th in yards, didn't put the D in great field position. They were certainly better than the D but weren't a top ten unit.

Sure the defense needs to be improved. Nobody is arguing that. So does the passing game of the offense.

If the Jets hired the defensive coordinator from the Panthers who had a worse defense than Rob and Rex Ryan last year and made him the GM and had him pick players in the draft then fire the scouts who setup the board I would mock them mercilessly. It does not look like a winning hand.

So, because the Panthers defense wasn't very good last year (after many years of being good), McDermott will fail as a HC? Do you know how he and Beane are regarded around the league?

Look, I don't know if they will be any good, but I like a lot of what I have seen so far, and I'm willing to wait until the Bills have played AT LEAST ONE GAME before I scream from every rooftop that they suck.

Well you blame him solely for all the losses so why can't I give him credit for leading the offense? You blame our defensive failures on him. What needs to be better more next year? The offense or the defense? Answer that Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both. I don't ignore either. The goal should be to win a Superbowl. Let's get on that and draft better defensive players as well as secure a franchise QB.

What needs to be better more next year? The offense or the defense? Answer that Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both. Seriously, that's the answer.

But if you had to pick one, the run game was so terrific for the offense and that doesn't need improvement. The defense would take priority. But the pass game would not be far behind.

Enough for me of this thread for quite a while. Boring and a crusade.

Edited by Thurman#1

If there's where you want to hang your hat go for it. A tough playoff loss a few years back.

Flacco is a solid starting QB. I'm just here to provide perspective. I always laugh when people say "even if we had Alex Smith..." without them even realizing that there isn't anything that he does better. Tyrod is in the class with those game manager guys (and near the top of it by most statistical measures). The only people that don't realize that are Bills "fans." We can certainly upgrade but when we disparage our guy to prop up guys that are worse, that's asinine. He's a decent starter that's every bit as good as Flacco, Tannehill, and Smith at this point.

Flacco at his best can play like Brady. TT at his best can play like peak Colin Kapernick.

I don't see what's so difficult about this. They both have good, bad and okay games. But Flacco's best games are leagues above Tyrod's. It's just that simple. If I had to beat Brady or Peyton or Brees or Big Ben tomorrow, I take Flacco over TT. It's just no contest.

Edited by jmc12290

???

Interesting take. The last game Tyrod started was a pretty damn good one.

Was that the one where he had to outduel Matt Moore and the 29th ranked D?

He played a good game, but let's not act like he went toe to toe versus the league's best like Flacco has done numerous times.

...just gets frustrating to see the perennial contenders need a good draft (maybe 2 in a row) and fill gaps to remain perennial contenders.......yet Bflo is "filling HOLES" annually......one step forward and two back.....the disastrous FO/Administration/Coaching patchwork since Polian is a major impediment IMO....non-football people trying and failing to run a football organization.....sure the jury is out, but I like the McD/Beane hires so far.....young gun football people running a football operation.....just want to see the playoffs before I head to "Dante's Inferno"......too hot there for cell phones and LCD's..........

He played a good game, but let's not act like he went toe to toe versus the league's best like Flacco has done numerous times.

Let's also not act like it was his fault that they lost. Because it wasn't.

Why is it every time someone brings up a game where TT played well....there are fans making excuses why it should be negated?

Quarterbacks DO NOT PLAY EACH OTHER

They got rid of a half dozen of their most talented players.

They kept a painfully mediocre QB.

They have a first-time HC.

They have a first-time GM.

They are facing their toughest schedule in recent memory.

This is, indeed, a rebuild. And it's about goddamn time.

At least with Beane being hired, it seems that McBeano will be the tandem for a few years to come.

I'd expect (pray/hope/beg for) a new QB next year and serious aspirations for a playoff run in 2019.

aside from Gilmore who else was uniquely talented?

Read Jay Skurski's mailbag this morning...doesn't sound like a "rebuild" to me. He presented a very even-handed, realistic approach to the team and predicts a record of around .500.

If a few things break the Bills' way it could be a nice season. We haven't seen (m)any good breaks lately so we're due...right?

Explain to me the cap ramifications of letting Tyrod go after this season.... someone....

- I can see this being Kyle's last season, so there should be at least 5-6 million that we won't be spending out of our projected $30m in available cap space...

- if we can be free and clear from Tyrod after this season, that puts us at $48m available cap space

- I think Groy has proven to be a suitable replacement for Wood, so that may keep us from spending there...

I'm excited about the coming years for sure

Explain to me the cap ramifications of letting Tyrod go after this season.... someone....

- I can see this being Kyle's last season, so there should be at least 5-6 million that we won't be spending out of our projected $30m in available cap space...

- if we can be free and clear from Tyrod after this season, that puts us at $48m available cap space

- I think Groy has proven to be a suitable replacement for Wood, so that may keep us from spending there...

I'm excited about the coming years for sure

It's refreshing to know that their may actually be competent football people in place now.

In my Humble Opinion.

Bills will obviously try to win from the get go:

QB - not gonna win games when losing in the 2nd half, but has ability to not lose you games if has lead in 2nd half.

RB - Above Average

WR - I have a dream...that Watkins lives up to his expectations..if not...Ouch

TE - Average.

O-Line - Average

Special Teams - Above average

Defense - Transition year but I believe they can be good and might re-ignite Jerry Hughes. Need Dareus to be mature ( highly doubt that will happen ) and the corners are young but full of piss and vinegar.

I don't see the Defense losing games.

I see nothing different from the last 17 years other than a coach that is young and new management.

So in Conclusion:

If they win from the get go, keep the run going and get that playoff. If they lose from the get go..sit Tyrod, give some reps to Ohio State boy and get a high draft pick. Use that high draft pick and the first rounder from KC and go get the best QB available.

Prediction: 9-7 Record if they start off good

3-13 record if they lose the first 2-3 games.

BTW: Losing Gilmore and Woods will make 0 impact on the outcome of this team.

Lets assume the Bills win 6 to 8 games this season.... Why would they release Tyrod after next season and regress even more in 2018?

McDermott and company would be close to ending a quick tenure in Buffalo if that's the plan...

People seem obsessed with cap room. Who !@#$ing cares about the cap when you release/let good players walk to get that cap room?

I agree this is probably the last year here for Kyle and Wood. But Tyrod will be here for at least the 2018 season.

Regress even more? Haven't we been winning 6-8 games since 2011? Is that regression or stagnation?

I read a bit of this thread.

I think it's a building year, not a rebuilding year. For rebuilding to make sense as a word, it has to mean taking apart and reconstructing. That isn't what's happening with the Bills. The Bills are in a normal building, ideally continuous improvement, process.

It was generally agreed last season that the Bills had one of the better rosters in the conference, and they still do. They're way ahead of the game simply because they have Watkins and McCoy. They have a serviceable quarterback. They have some good offensive linemen. They have Dareus and Hughes plus two quality rookies, essentially, in Ragland and Lawson. They have what should be a good pair of corners. They have veteran safeties. This isn't a rebuilding situation.

This is all about continuing to get better. Maybe Watkins leaves, maybe he doesn't, maybe Taylor leaves, maybe he doesn't. They're important parts of the team, but they are by no means all of it.

What this year is about is whether McDermott is the right guy, and if he is, how quickly he can get the team headed in the right direction. It might take a season. It might take six games. It might take less.