That GM search was embarassing

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better question: if so, why in the holy hell are you spending time on a freaking message board?

You got that right. They missed their calling

Every time I come to this site, someone is crying or whining about something

You're going to need a good supply of crying towels if you intend to hang out here

It was obvious from the start. Leroi said Beane was helping to run our draft behind the scenes. The search was done the minute they hired McDermott. We have 2 GMs and hopefully McDermott is a good scout because I haven't seen stellar drafting from the Panthers lately.

Are there any experts in here on hiring an NFL GM? IF so, who should they have hired and why?

Brian Gutekunst from the Packers. Promoted to their director of player personnel last year and has been with them since 1998.

Yep. McDermott is GM I don't care what the title says. Sabres GM took longer...cause that GM will actually be making the calls. Beane is a glorified scout

McDermott does have a personnel/scouting background that said usually GMs are the ones making final calls on adding people and it's a positive thing that GM and coach work together to build the roster. Edited by The Jokeman

I agree that I am uninspired by this hire and I believe that the hiring process was a bit of a sham. It's pretty clear that Beane was the guy from the start, based on his connection to McDermott. That said, this guy might not be a bad hire. For an organization to be successful, the GM and head coach need to complement each other and work together. They need to share a vision for what they believe will make the team successful. Whaley didn't have such a shared vision with Marrone or Rex and the results showed both on and off the field. Beane and McDermott should work well together and if they are both good at their jobs, it could turn out very well. If it doesn't, they will crash and burn together and this board will be debating a new GM and HC in 2-3 years.

McDermott does have a personnel/scouting background that said usually GMs are the ones making final calls on adding people and it's a positive thing that GM and coach work together to build the roster.

I want my GM making the calls. He is the one working year round scouting.

I agree that I am uninspired by this hire and I believe that the hiring process was a bit of a sham. It's pretty clear that Beane was the guy from the start, based on his connection to McDermott. That said, this guy might not be a bad hire. For an organization to be successful, the GM and head coach need to complement each other and work together. They need to share a vision for what they believe will make the team successful. Whaley didn't have such a shared vision with Marrone or Rex and the results showed both on and off the field. Beane and McDermott should work well together and if they are both good at their jobs, it could turn out very well. If it doesn't, they will crash and burn together and this board will be debating a new GM and HC in 2-3 years.

I disagree on the Whaley/Rex thing as last year's roster filled with Rex/Rob Ryan castoffs/personnel types to try and build a better 34 defense.

Yep. McDermott is GM I don't care what the title says. Sabres GM took longer...cause that GM will actually be making the calls. Beane is a glorified scout

Well, I'd like some power distribution, but a common vision is more important, imho.

Interviewing only 3 people? And ending up going with the guy who the head coach pretty much told the Owner to hire.

What kind of team structure is Pegula running here? is this a joke? What NFL team lets a rookie HC run the entire team?

Pegula is either going to strike gold here or plummet harder than when he hired Rex. If this doesn't work out he will go from beloved savior owner to on par with Dan Snyder as a complete fraud.

Once again the Bills prove they don't know how to conduct a proper search for a GM. Good luck the Brandon Beane b/c he sure as hell will need it.

You should post in the whiner/loser thread floating around. They will cosign your bs

Edited by Dablitzkrieg

The press conference should be interesting.

Q. Who has the final decision on player personnel?

A. We work as a team

Q. What if you disagree?

A. Whoever is more passionate gets the call (aka McDermott makes the call).

I WANT to work in a very collaborative organization. Many minds > 1 mind.