Do you hate.....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a difference between adopting a phony accent and just trying to pronounce a word correctly. For example, my high school Spanish teacher always cringed when someone said "Porta Rico," which is how many Americans pronounce "Puerto Rico." I pronounce the first word "Puerto" (PWARE-toe) because that's how it's supposed to be pronounced, but I'm not using a fake accent.

There's a difference between adopting a phony accent and just trying to pronounce a word correctly. For example, my high school Spanish teacher always cringed when someone said "Porta Rico," which is how many Americans pronounce "Puerto Rico." I pronounce the first word "Puerto" (PWARE-toe) because that's how it's supposed to be pronounced, but I'm not using a fake accent.

The announcers I'm discussing would be named something like Joe Smith and pronounce it:

Pwarrrrrrrrrrrretoooooo Rrrrrrrreko

I find it quite condescending. They don't pronounce Colin Montgomery's name like they were in Braveheart or Greg Norman's like they were Crocodile Dundee. They are asses.

The announcers I'm discussing would be named something like Joe Smith and pronounce it:

Pwarrrrrrrrrrrretoooooo Rrrrrrrreko

I find it quite condescending. They don't pronounce Colin Montgomery's name like they were in Braveheart or Greg Norman's like they were Crocodile Dundee. They are asses.

Yeah, I agree - in that case it's annoying.

Crikey! ;-)

Edited by WhoTom

.....when some sportscaster that does not normally speak with an accent, creates an accent when pronouncing a Hispanic name?

I do.

If you don't hate that, what do you hate!

So you hate an American making the effort to pronounce a foreign name correctly?

.....when some sportscaster that does not normally speak with an accent, creates an accent when pronouncing a Hispanic name?

I do.

If you don't hate that, what do you hate!

How do you feel about hockey guys giving the Canadian annunciation of players names? BERGARON etc. yuck

You should pronounce the proper name the way the person says it; accent and all. It's not meant for personal interpretation.

For example.

Bob Villa. -in the southwest his name is commonly pronounced "vee-ya", not "ViL-La" -but since he says it differently, you go with his version.

What I do hate is when teachers asked what your name was in Spanish. This happened several times and I refused to go along with it. My name stays the same in every language!

John is not Juan. George is not Jorge. Mary is not the same as Maria.

Edited by unbillievable

You should pronounce the proper name the way the person says it; accent and all. It's not meant for personal interpretation.

For example.

Bob Villa. -in the southwest his name is commonly pronounced "vee-ya", not "ViL-La" -but since he says it differently, you go with his version.

What I do hate is when teachers asked what your name was in Spanish. This happened several times and I refused to go along with it. My name stays the same in every language!

Either way, I'm pronouncing your name "un-bi-yeev-able."

For example.

So when you say the name Tony Blair or Paul McCartney do you do a British accent?

When you go to a bar and order a Guiness do you sound like the Lucky Charms guy?