Do you hate.....

David Garrido on Sky Sports News. Columbian heritage but English born and bred.

Acts like a bit of a rooster for 99% of the time and goes super mega rooster whenever he gets to say "Sporting Gijon". !@#$ off, you middle-class public schoolboy.

Nope, don't hate it at all :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A guy I work with prides himself on being a New Englander, and sometimes speaks with a very thick Boston accent. Except he grew up in Arizona, and didn't move to Massachusetts until he was in his 20's. He's a good dude, but it's really obnoxious.

Is his name Madonna?

Start calling him Madonna.

A guy I work with prides himself on being a New Englander, and sometimes speaks with a very thick Boston accent. Except he grew up in Arizona, and didn't move to Massachusetts until he was in his 20's. He's a good dude, but it's really obnoxious.

Bandwagon accent. Is he a pats* fan too?

Yes, that ****'s pretentious as hell and highly annoying. Just like when Americans pronounce Chile as chee-lay or Paris as Pear-ee. Don't even get me started on mozzarella.

A friend of mine said it best. His name is Davis, which is Irish, but he doesn't kick the Irish accent in whenever he says it.

And I don't find it offensive when foreigners pronounce my name in their own accent

Edited by Rob's House

There's a difference between adopting a phony accent and just trying to pronounce a word correctly. For example, my high school Spanish teacher always cringed when someone said "Porta Rico," which is how many Americans pronounce "Puerto Rico." I pronounce the first word "Puerto" (PWARE-toe) because that's how it's supposed to be pronounced, but I'm not using a fake accent.

Some accommodation can occur, but if it's an American announcer it's just politically correct nonsense.

What's the correct way to pronounce a name?

I recall Dutch soccer player Ruud Gullit's surname pronounced as:

HULL' IT'

GULL' IT'

GOO' LEET' (in Italy about 95% of the time I heard his name)

So when you say the name Tony Blair or Paul McCartney do you do a British accent?

When you go to a bar and order a Guiness do you sound like the Lucky Charms guy?

Yes I do. For the names. Other things like "Guiness" or "taco" or "tomato" have different versions so I tend to say it the way the locals do. I slip into Southern in Texas and occasionally British in London. (I don't do it on purpose.)

like this guy. He pronounces his name "My Cocaine".

5876-michael-caine.jpg

Or Saoirse Ronan -who pronounces her own name wrong, (says she gets corrected in Ireland), but you have to respect their interpretation.

Edited by unbillievable

1. Ed Kennedy from ESPN (not even sure if he's still alive) always broke into "authentic pronunciation" whilst discussing Hispanic baseball players.

2. This reminds me of when Alex Trebek (another guilty party) had a clue about a Jimi Hendrix song ... which Alex pronounced, "Voo-doo Chee-lay."

Yes, that ****'s pretentious as hell and highly annoying. Just like when Americans pronounce Chile as chee-lay or Paris as Pear-ee. Don't even get me started on mozzarella.

A friend of mine said it best. His name is Davis, which is Irish, but he doesn't kick the Irish accent in whenever he says it.

And I don't find it offensive when foreigners pronounce my name in their own accent

I will confess to taking care to differentiate the pronunciation of "Columbia" and "Colombia" in everyday conversation. Not that it comes up in everyday conversation all that much (and I don't try to introduce it into everyday conversation like Murray Gell-Mann was accused of doing.)

Have I mentioned I don't get invited to parties very often?

2. This reminds me of when Alex Trebek (another guilty party) had a clue about a Jimi Hendrix song ... which Alex pronounced, "Voo-doo Chee-lay."

To be fair to Trebek, the producers/judges of Jeopardy are pronunciation Nazis.