The impact of Shady's contract?

Can't wait until the next Chris Kelsay is the Bills' best player. :sick:

So says the Chris Kelsay of TSW - lots of volume but little impact.

I don't think it was a matter of "afford"ing $4m for MG. It was a matter of not valuing any backup RB being worth $4m when RBs are a dime a dozen.

Dime a dozen? As taught to me in debate class "Exaggeration is the tool of the unarmed".

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He needs to have a solid year,the new regime has zero ties to most of this roster.

If they don't earn their paycheck they will be shown the door..

Is there any doubt he won't be phenomenal? 4 Oline starters going on year three together and a potential instant upgrade at RT. Throw in the best blocking FB in the NFL and what should be a much better pass game,if Watkins can stay on the field. Shady has no signs of slowing down and is a gym rat, I see at least two elite years ahead. He was amazing last year. Worth every penny

So says the Chris Kelsay of TSW - lots of volume but little impact.

Dime a dozen? As taught to me in debate class "Exaggeration is the tool of the unarmed".

I don't want to take anything away from TD Mike but let's be real, the Oline was the main ingredient behind his success. Monster holes

Sirius touched on this yesterday, don't be shocked if he is traded or cut this next offseason.

How does one trade for a RB whose cap hit is 8.95 ?

My thoughts is tha McCoy has a wonderful year and will play out the contract in 2018. He has been our best player the lsat two seasons.

When he starts slowing down this will be a discussion worth having.

I agree with this but when McCoy was the only one to miss the voluntary workouts he couldn't have endeared himself too much with Capt Egghead. I think that when the Bills drafted Dion Dawkins they may have been laying the ground work for life after Richie as well. By this time next year you may not recognize the roster.

The only star I want on this team is a young dynamic franchise qb.

Good chance we already have that!!!

Tyrod sure has the potential to be that. Still young, extremely dynamic, and still has so much room to grow.

i'm not exactly endorsing this comment, but it's worth talking about. A no-star system works if you have Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. But look at most other teams; they have stars. Look Seattle, Atlanta, Green Bay.

A lot of what seems to have been going on with the Bills is to model the organization after the Pats. That's all well and good if you have a Belichick, but McDermott hasn't coached one game yet, so I wonder whether it makes sense to go aggressively in that direction.

Atlanta has two players this year with cap hits over $10 million. Pats and Bills have three. Steelers, Packers, Seahawks all have five or six.

It's too early to tell where this team is headed so far as stars are concerned. But if they're going in the direction the Pats are going, McDermott and his new GM better be really good at figuring out who the athletes are that fit the system. And the system better be awfully good, because a mediocre system with mediocre talent ain't cuttin it in this league.

My impression is that if Carucci actually meant no starts, he's wrong. Carolina has a few, Cam, Kelvin Benjamin, and one or two guys on defense as well, if I recall.

Looked to me more like the article meant they aren't going to base the team's player acquisition strategy mostly around getting stars as they have in the past.

Reggie Bush was able to set a record behind the same line last year for only 1.5 mil. Difference between dime a dozen and cut on a dime.

Also the difference between 12 attempts and a bunch more. And it doesn't help if a couple of those attempts were trick plays that had Reggie get the ball way behind the LOS and not heading downfield. Not that I was thrilled with Reggie, but he wasn't given much of a chance.

If Vic wants to make that point he should stop writing click bait articles; it is hypocritical.

And again, the Buffalo News has no interest in clickbait. Nor do most newspapers. If they did, they sure wouldn't stop you from getting more than ten articles per month. They make their online money from digital subscriptions and thus need people to want and like their articles.

the point of the Article is that the new philosophy of McD might provide improved and sustainable long term results.

building a team with a few high priced splashy big names (all your eggs in one basket approach used by whaley on Sammy, dareus, McCoy, hughes, clay, cordy) is not as good as building a team by spreading the risk of injury and salary cap over a greater number of players.

trading down in the first round (like McD just did) is usually (but not always) better than paying a premium and trading up (like whaley did for Sammy).

McD has the luxury of thinking long term.......whaley acted like he was trying to live and keep his job for one more year at a time

I agree with this but when McCoy was the only one to miss the voluntary workouts he couldn't have endeared himself too much with Capt Egghead. I think that when the Bills drafted Dion Dawkins they may have been laying the ground work for life after Richie as well. By this time next year you may not recognize the roster.

He missed 1 day of lifting weights. Stop making this a big deal....they have not started football practice.

The only star I want on this team is a young dynamic franchise qb.

Then we won't win much. Do you recall how many star players were on the Superbowl teams? It was more than just the QB

And again, the Buffalo News has no interest in clickbait. Nor do most newspapers. If they did, they sure wouldn't stop you from getting more than ten articles per month. They make their online money from digital subscriptions and thus need people to want and like their article

Completely wrong. They want clicks to tell advertisers how many visitors they have and nobody really pays attention to the 10 per month for they just clear (or block) the cookies. The sports department makes NO attempt to get anyone except who agrees with their slant to like their articles.

His salary is 5.11% of the Bills' cap number this season. If he is still performing at a level anywhere close to last year that is not at all exorbitant.

Compare and contrast Charles Clay's 5.19% impact.

Shady ain't your problem.

Edited by eball

Until Shady shows me a sign of slowing down, I'm keeping him and paying him. He is an elite RB in this league and he hasn't shown any sign of slowing down yet. Yes, we know it's coming at some point, but we should wait until then before we start considering moving on. If he looks as good as he did last year this season, then there is no way I get rid of him in 2018. Very few RBs are a cut above the rest, he is one of them and is a game changer.

I Agree !!

Edited by T master

the point of the Article is that the new philosophy of McD might provide improved and sustainable long term results.

building a team with a few high priced splashy big names (all your eggs in one basket approach used by whaley on Sammy, dareus, McCoy, hughes, clay, cordy) is not as good as building a team by spreading the risk of injury and salary cap over a greater number of players.

trading down in the first round (like McD just did) is usually (but not always) better than paying a premium and trading up (like whaley did for Sammy).

McD has the luxury of thinking long term.......whaley acted like he was trying to live and keep his job for one more year at a time

This point seems to be lost on virtually every post I've read.

The point of the article is the philosphy of McD, and it fits right into everything that we've been reading, which is the contrast of Whaley and co. scouting approach to McD's vision of building a team.

Edited by Magox

This year he has a cap hit of $8.875m

Next year would be 8.95, but 5.25 if they cut him, a 3.7 savings. Of course they could designate him a post June 1 cut and spread that 5.25 over 2 years if they chose.

2019 his cap hit is 9.05. They'd save 6.4 million by cutting him. Right now cap room isn't a problem in 2018.

They have a projected 32 million under the cap, using this years number which is bound to rise.

Wood comes off the cap next year. Cutting Incognito would save over 6 million. If Alexander is done, he'd save another 3 , while cutting Hughes would save almost another 5.

Let us not forget the extra 10 they'd save if they decided to move on from Tyrod.

They could easily have 60+ million to spend next offseason. Plenty to keep Sammy if they so chose and get younger and cheaper at alot of positions

This year he has a cap hit of $8.875m

Next year would be 8.95, but 5.25 if they cut him, a 3.7 savings. Of course they could designate him a post June 1 cut and spread that 5.25 over 2 years if they chose.

2019 his cap hit is 9.05. They'd save 6.4 million by cutting him. Right now cap room isn't a problem in 2018.

They have a projected 32 million under the cap, using this years number which is bound to rise.

Wood comes off the cap next year. Cutting Incognito would save over 6 million. If Alexander is done, he'd save another 3 , while cutting Hughes would save almost another 5.

Let us not forget the extra 10 they'd save if they decided to move on from Tyrod.

They could easily have 60+ million to spend next offseason. Plenty to keep Sammy if they so chose and get younger and cheaper at alot of positions

Of course they would have money to spend...you just cut 5 players that would need to be replaced....