Knowing what you know today about Kelly and Brady

Jim Kelly holds a special place in the heart of every Bills fan. I am no different. He was the greatest thing that ever happened to this historically futile franchise. All of my greatest early football memories involve Kelly. On the other hand Tom Brady has been involved in some of my worst football memories. He may the greatest nemesis the Bills have ever had. It is very difficult for me to praise Brady. With that said, I would take Brady.

From a purely football perspective it is impossible to compare Brady to Kelly as they played in different eras. Everyone knows the 90s game is vastly different compared to the modern game. It's difficult to know which guy would be better if transported to the others era. I chose Brady for off field reasons. I think that Brady has a unprecedented drive, and dedication to the game of football. The league has never seen a guy like Brady. Kelly on the other hand was a notorious off field party guy. Everything being equal I have to choose the player who hasn't been hung over during a Super Bowl game. Brady's devotion and leadership has led his team to multiple titles. Kelly was obviously unable to do so. I'm not bashing Jim, he's an all time great. I see both Brady and Kelly as immensely talented players. In my opinion Brady simply has a few more "it" factors going for him.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is some truth to that. Brady never would have taken the beating that Kelly did. Especially the first couple years.

Kelly at the end of his career was painful to watch. He was a sitting duck back there.

Again, I hate Brady. But people need to give him credit. Dude is a freak about his diet and his training, things you will never hear about Kelly. The guy thinks of himself as a 6th round pick.

Also, he has done it with some very JAG type players minus Moss and Gronk.

Kelly at the end of his career was painful to watch. He was a sitting duck back there.

Again, I hate Brady. But people need to give him credit. Dude is a freak about his diet and his training, things you will never hear about Kelly. The guy thinks of himself as a 6th round pick.

Also, he has done it with some very JAG type players minus Moss and Gronk.

...agree....Brady > Kelly without question....BUT, Kelly and 4 straight SB appearances is unmatched....at the same time, if BB was the HC in those four, he goes at least 2-2.....BB>Marv , no question........Bflo would have been better prepared IMO..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

without reading: Brady. In SB XXV he´d have handed it to thurman about 60 times for around 450 yds and not even attempted a pass

Amen. Sorry but Jimbo blew SB XXV, not Scott Norwood.

Edited by BobChalmers

Which one would you draft if both came out in the draft this year?

Need that time machine

That is a loaded question. too many variables. Does Belicheck and their roster come with Brady?

If Brady comes with all the Pats cheating I will take Kelly every time. I would never want the scandals and doubt about most of their winning.

Bills were a dead NFL fanchise. Kelly is who brought them back to national prominance and fit in in Buffalo better than Brady ever could have. Right man for the right time.

Edited by cba fan

Clearly Brady has had a far better career. But I have always contended that if Brady wasn't on the Patriots, and didn't have Bellidick's mastery finding guys that he could plus in and protect Marcia, and if Brady played on virtually any other team and had to face a constant rush in his face, he wouldn't have turned out nearly as good. And yes, I know how smart he is and how fast he can get the ball out and how he can move in the pocket. I also know he cant deal with a strong rush.

I agree

...Belichick ain't too bad a HC calling the shots...where does Jimbo end up with BB as his HC??...........

Jimbo basically lost us the 1st SB for calling for Thurman to run the ball 30 times against a 2 man d line.

Kelly was also a bad playoff qb. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00.htm Kelly had some of his worst moments in the biggest games.

Jimbo was and still is a tough sob

brady on the other hand, hahahahahaha!!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/IOAPEBMqIGEvK/giphy.gif

No one will ever question Kelly's toughness. He was a LB playing QB.

Clearly Brady has had a far better career. But I have always contended that if Brady wasn't on the Patriots, and didn't have Bellidick's mastery finding guys that he could plus in and protect Marcia, and if Brady played on virtually any other team and had to face a constant rush in his face, he wouldn't have turned out nearly as good. And yes, I know how smart he is and how fast he can get the ball out and how he can move in the pocket. I also know he cant deal with a strong rush.

Totally agree!!!!!! Brady would wilt under any other team.

this is an asinine idea for a thread. there is no way in hail that i trade the kelly era bills for anything. period.

Amen. Sorry but Jimbo blew SB XXV, not Scott Norwood.

bull. belichick stuffed the backfield and stifiled the run and shoot. the offense had no answer. also the bills d could not stop the giants long, excruciating clock eating drives. it was a team loss plain and simple.

As many have mentioned, career-wise, sure, Brady has the numbers and the hardware. But, I loved Kelly's swagger and toughness. He was a gun-slinger, a linebacker player QB and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. Brady is a kitty!! He complains to the refs if someone farts close to him. I don't care if they have more trophies - I can't stand him.

I equate JK to Favre in a lot of respects. Favre is considered one of the all time greats, a true gun-slinger as well. But, only one ring. JK went to 4 straight. But, they both were tough as nails, loved the game and wanted to win every single time.

this is an asinine idea for a thread. there is no way in hail that i trade the kelly era bills for anything. period.

bull. belichick stuffed the backfield and stifiled the run and shoot. the offense had no answer. also the bills d could not stop the giants long, excruciating clock eating drives. it was a team loss plain and simple.

Thurman should have been MVP for the winning team, but we would not let him do his thing. PERIOD. They dared us to run, and egos or some other inexplicable thing got in the way.