Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

Well duh Yolo that's hilarious, I didn't even think. But what's the record, maybe 3 beats it

I never thought about it this way. In a perfect world this would be great. We already have 2 1st rounds next year, so we would have 3 next year to get our QB. Or use the 2019 1st rounder as a sweetener to trade up for our QB. Or use that 2019 to move up after we get our QB and still get a round 1 WR to replace him in addition to our new QB..Sounds like a smart move by the Bills when you put it that way.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder who is making this decision. A HC who has never coached a game in the NFL before? A president who has proven in the past that he doesn't have a clue about the football side of the business? Ownership who has shown that they're not football savvy?

I'd have much more faith in this decision if they had a GM on board who had a clear picture of how he wants to shape the team in the coming years. But right now important decisions are being made without the most important position in the front office filled. That doesn't fill me with confidence.

I said it at the end of last season and I'll say it again. The Pegulas needed to either give Whaley control of football operations, including hand picking his head coach, or they needed to fire him and hire someone that they trusted to have that authority. I don't disagree that Whaley left something to be desired as a GM but if you were going to get rid of him you do it at the end of last season, hire a GM and let that GM hire the coach.

Who is determining the direction of this football team? I guess it's ownership, but if that's the case I have no faith that this thing will get turned around anytime soon unless they accidentally hit one out of the park with the hiring of McDermott.

This ^^

Exactly. Fans often see an injured player and think this dude is getting paid millions to sit on his ass! That player is thinking, I busted my fukking balls and brain for this team and look what happened to me, I can't even play and my leg is falling off. And now they don't want me or want to pay me when I get healthy?!

You bet he is motivated. He will play his a$s off and GTFOH; as he should...

Smh. Sammy going to mail it in this year.

Well, again, exactly the opposite of this. Now he has to prove himself, and he will do everything in his power to get the HUGE new contract. Do you do this on purpose?

He has no QB, so that will be his excuse. Not that it is really an excuse.

This guy kind of just says anything doesn't he? He's actually projecting Sammy's excuses for not playing next year. When the bong starts talking to you, it's time to put it down.

Well, again, exactly the opposite of this. Now he has to prove himself, and he will do everything in his power to get the HUGE new contract. Do you do this on purpose?

Most likely he will make bank on the FA market given the team he has played for, has not caused any issues on or off the field, our offense, and our QB - he will get the benefit of the doubt. 2 Things, teams recognize talent and in FA, everybody with some level of talent and isn't a headache gets (over)paid...

What in the world is going on here? First they fire Whaley, and now this?!? That's two smart moves within mere days of each other. I am loving these new look Bills.

I think this is an easy one. If they pick up the option, they have to pay Sammy ~$13mm no matter what. If they don't & he proves them wrong, they can try to work out a new deal at the end of the season & have the franchise tag (+3 to 4mm) to fall back on. Would you bet $4mm against $13mm on a coin flip? I wouldn't.

Besides- even if they did pick up his option & he blew up (in a good way), he'd be expecting a new deal in 2018. How could you disrespect him like that, expecting him to play under the option figure? He'd be forced to mail it in!

Most likely he will make bank on the FA market given the team he has played for, has not caused any issues on or off the field, our offense, and our QB - he will get the benefit of the doubt. 2 Things, teams recognize talent and in FA, everybody with some level of talent and isn't a headache gets (over)paid...

Oh, for sure he will get paid. How much he's on the field and how he produces THIS year could mean tens of millions in the "how much" category. I'm actually a Sammy fan, but he seemed to look for the sideline or slide after the catch a lot last year. Someone posted 35 YAC all season? He played like he had broken ribs again. Not sure what the real YAC # is, but I expect to see a more aggressive WR this year.

What in the world is going on here? First they fire Whaley, and now this?!? That's two smart moves within mere days of each other. I am loving these new look Bills.

I think this is an easy one. If they pick up the option, they have to pay Sammy ~$13mm no matter what. If they don't & he proves them wrong, they can try to work out a new deal at the end of the season & have the franchise tag (+3 to 4mm) to fall back on. Would you bet $4mm against $13mm on a coin flip? I wouldn't.

Besides- even if they did pick up his option & he blew up (in a good way), he'd be expecting a new deal in 2018. How could you disrespect him like that, expecting him to play under the option figure? He'd be forced to mail it in!

Buffalo86 dont bring rational thought in this thread. You are correct two of the best decisions made in this organization less than a week apart in what seems to be a decade!

Sammy will give his best this season, but it'll be his last in Buffalo.

It has to be. If this team was really interested in him they wouldn't have declined the option. It's smart to invest in good stocks when they are low. Sammy's value could be as low as it's going to get right now. Now you allow him to prove himself to the entire league this season. His value could become inflated forcing us to pay him more than we would have otherwise. I don't see why you would take that type of risk, unless you are planning on parting ways.

It has to be. If this team was really interested in him they wouldn't have declined the option. It's smart to invest in good stocks when they are low. Sammy's value could be as low as it's going to get right now. Now you allow him to prove himself to the entire league this season. His value could become inflated forcing us to pay him more than we would have otherwise. I don't see why you would take that type of risk, unless you are planning on parting ways.

Yeah. If they aren't willing to take the chance on his option year, there's no way the Bills are going to take the risk of giving him a big contract with a large signing bonus - even if he has a big 2017 season.

I think he'll want to perform for the huge contract, and if he gets offered the huge contract here, he'll sign.

For me, the bigger issue is that the team has exposed themselves to the potential of losing him if they aren't willing to pony up the top-5 salary.

But the 5th year option is only 2 mil less than the top 5 salary.

Buffalo86 dont bring rational thought in this thread. You are correct two of the best decisions made in this organization less than a week apart in what seems to be a decade!

Even longer, by my count. McDermott's voice is the voice of a new Bills' generation. Our generation!

I support the Bills decision to decline that option.

IMO, that foot issue will be a chronic issue that will always get tweaked by the rigors of playing professional football.

He'll get a month, maybe two until it's damaged and/or incredibly painful.

Maybe things work out, and that'll be great for the Bills and SW.

Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Julian Edelman, and Kevin Durant say "hello".