Pegulas right not to fire Jim Overdorf

I have read here, and other places, he should be canned for his bad contracts...wrong. HE didnt make contract decisions The GM's did. His job is to have the GM come to him and they say "make this work in the cap" that is it.

HE didn't give Dareus an insanely stupid contract, Whaley did. Jim Overdorf is considered to be one of the best in the NFL with the cap. The Next GM needs to keep that in mind and make better decisions on who gets what and for how much, before asking Jim to make it work within the cap.

Not sure why part if that is bold, but meh...

How do you know this? What is your source?

My problem with Overdorf is the role/responsibility ambiguity. He reports through Lamattina to Brandon. He's also, to my understanding, the one negotiating the contracts with the agents. The coach is also valuing the players along with the GM. So at best, I think one can say when there is a bad contract, it is ambiguous whose fault it is - the coach? the GM (who both report to Pegula) or Overdorf, for not translating the value correctly or for not pushing the agent hard enough? And that's a problem.

I think Overdorf should go in the name of house-cleaning. But if he stays, he should report to the GM, so it's very clear where the buck stops and who has the ultimate responsibility.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know this? What is your source?

He has no source and no clue what he's talking about.

He has a lengthy history of making crap up to hear himself talk so don't fall for any of it :rolleyes:

I have read here, and other places, he should be canned for his bad contracts...wrong. HE didnt make contract decisions The GM's did. His job is to have the GM come to him and they say "make this work in the cap" that is it.

HE didn't give Dareus an insanely stupid contract, Whaley did. Jim Overdorf is considered to be one of the best in the NFL with the cap. The Next GM needs to keep that in mind and make better decisions on who gets what and for how much, before asking Jim to make it work within the cap.

Not sure why part if that is bold, but meh...

Jim Overdorf did give that contract to Dareus just saying

All Whaley said is we want to retain Dareus. And Jim did the rest.

Ooo and he is directly responsible for the cap and how is that looking again.

Edited by MAJBobby

Judge someone by results, not excuses. Fact, the Bills are severely crippled in their ability to build a winning team due to the cap. Contracts are not structured well with terms such as Dareus who has obvious off field issues that affect the team. Too much problem with dead cap on players that obviously are past their prime. Too much kicking the can down the road and constant "we will worry about it later" issues. Contracts, cap and negotiations are his job. Look at our record the past two years on RFA offers, for a few dollars more, their would have been no drama. Contracts, cap and bad negotiations are a major problem for the Bills. That is his Job, he failed at his job, period.

And trusting Pegula to make the right decisions as a sports owner is questionable. His record with the Sabres and the Bills so far as an owner in giving the fans a winning team is abysmal. Other than his owning the Bills kept the Bills in Buffalo, he has done the sports fans in Buffalo no favors.

This post is ridiculous. Dealing with the contract negotiations is literally Overdorf's job....

I can't tell if this post is supposed to be serious or not? Hopefully the answer is not and I just missed the sarcasm..

The worst part about today is that Overdorf still has a job at OBD.. He should have been the very first one out the door...

THIS post is ridiculous.

I listened to Pegula's press conference and came away thinking Overforf's tenure with the Bills is very much on shaky ground.

Pegula said something to the effect of "we will do everything we can to fight for Overdorf, but ultimately that decision will come down to the next GM".

Basically he gave himself an out, that if and when they release Overdorf it will be because the next GM made that decision, as he should.

Not having language in Dareus' contract that protected the team from future guarantees if he failed future drug tests was an offense worthy of firing.....and Iay that at the feet of Overdorf. I wouldn't be surprised to see Scott Berchtold let go as well now that they have the new guy from Philly.

The only guy who might be left standing will be Russ. I think Russ is the only human on earth that will survive nuclear war.

You may be right about Russ. He's a real "Vicar of Bray" type.

What puzzles me (and perhaps gives me hope) is that I thought Overdorf reports up through Lamattina to Brandon. I don't think that's how the FO should be structured; I think the contracts guy should report up through the GM so it's clear where the buck stops. If Pegula is planning a reorg to make it so, that gives some hope.

Jim Overdorf did give that contract to Dareus just saying

All Whaley said is we want to retain Dareus. And Jim did the rest.

Ooo and he is directly responsible for the cap and how is that looking again.

Whaley has to sign off on them. When asked about Taylor's terrible contract, he said as much. However, Whaley admittedly said he left salary cap issues to Overdorff. The fact that he didn't think about it strategically is one of his major weaknesses.

I dont think any of us have clear enough definitions on his tasks and such to love or hate him. he seems fine enough, but theres at times been chatter here that hes among the best in the league once we started using the basic like option bonuses and basic restructures.

Whaley has to sign off on them. When asked about Taylor's terrible contract, he said as much. However, Whaley admittedly said he left salary cap issues to Overdorff. The fact that he didn't think about it strategically is one of his major weaknesses.

I got that impression also from listening to Whaley talk about the GM role. From what he said, understanding salary cap implications and thinking strategically about FA tenders were "growth areas" for him where he relied a lot on Overdorf. And it hasn't been pretty. It's that reliance on Overdorf that makes me think Overdorf, too, should go because if Whaley has been depending upon him for advice, he's been getting bad advice.

I think it's entirely possible that McWrestler wants a GM who is on top of these issues, but unless the Bills restructure that may not happen.

So the are you saying like the OP that Bills were smart not firing Overdorf.

He is the reason for the cap issues and did write the contract. You think he got into all the clauses with Whaley keep thinking.

So the are you saying like the OP that Bills were smart not firing Overdorf.

He is the reason for the cap issues and did write the contract. You think he got into all the clauses with Whaley keep thinking.

No. That Taylor contract was crap, and I doubt Whaley really knew it when he signed it. That means they are both to blame.

I cut Whaley a little slack on the cap situation because of what he was trying to do*, but that doesn't excuse him for not being more strategic and involved.

* He spent a lot of money upgrading the offense in 2015 because they already had a playoff caliber defense. I don't fault him for bribing Shady, over-paying for Clay (because Roman wanted him), and bringing in Harvin.

The saying hindsight is 20/20 doesn't apply to this board. This team was in win now mode to end the playoff drought the past couple seasons. This is why the cap situation is what it is. The rest is speculation. Trying to figure out what each member of the staff did is pointless. Business decisions are collaborative efforts to make informed decisions and add a layer of protection when poor decisions are made.

Dpesnt matter to me what we do with him. I just want our next GM to be better at managing the cap and drafting talent.

Let's just hope he can bring in healthy talent that can stay ON the field, and OFF the injury report

Jeffery Littman had Polian fired

Ugh! So true. That was the day the music died for the Bills even though we didnt know it at the time., My gosh if we had just fired that clown Littman instead of Polian how different the last 30 years would have been.

Anyone who has been involved in the contract negotiations and salary cap decisions should be sent packing. If that includes Overdorf, and it sounds like it does, then he should be gone. To change the culture you have to change the people. All of them, including good ole, Russ Brandon.

Please get rid of bad luck Russ.

Jeffery Littman had Polian fired

I thought Ralph axed Polian for calling his daughter Lindan Bogdon a dumb c*nt in the warroom?

In truth.......the worst thing that happened to this franchise in it's existence might be that Linda Bogdon didn't want the team or wasn't either good enough or passionate enough about scouting.

If your GM isn't making long range plans then you are lucky if you ever develop anything.........and the Bills GM/HC are always living in the now.

Jerry Jones son has done a nice job in Dallas.......we can only hope that one of Terry's kids can grow into that kinda' role cuz Terry sure looks overmatched in this field.