GM Doug Whaley has been fired

Yes, that is the thought I keep hearing. Cleveland has two firsts and three seconds next year. If the team with the top picks is the Jets or SF, they will likely prefer the franchise qb. They simply won't trade out. Lots of moving parts. My point is the notion that we can just throw on another first and presto is way too optimistic. Meanwhile, Mahomes was available at #10 and we could have let him sit for a development year and not had to worry about obtaining a franchise qb.

Right now all the QB names are perfect prospects. Once the draft is there people will see it differently. Maybe the Bills can give away the store for the next Carson Wentz next year.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Jets could be the worst team in the league. Apart from their D-line they are bad or old everywhere. They are absolutely in play for next year's #1 pick. The 49ers will be drafting top 5 too.

This idea the extra 1st makes a trade up to get the best or 2nd best QB a slam dunk is wishful at best.

Who said slam dunk? I said it puts us in one of the best positions to move up.

Yes, that is the thought I keep hearing. Cleveland has two firsts and three seconds next year. If the team with the top picks is the Jets or SF, they will likely prefer the franchise qb. They simply won't trade out. Lots of moving parts. My point is the notion that we can just throw on another first and presto is way too optimistic. Meanwhile, Mahomes was available at #10 and we could have let him sit for a development year and not had to worry about obtaining a franchise qb.

Assuming Mahomes is a franchise QB. Which is, after all, just an assumption with no basis in fact.

Assuming Mahomes is a franchise QB. Which is, after all, just an assumption with no basis in fact.

Maybe our defensive first time head coach and GM should have considered why his mentor, QB magician Andy Reid wanted to trade 1st round picks and a 3rd for him. Sometimes the smartest thing to do is reassess a situation when someone that is an expert has a different read.

Exactly. Mahomes is such a surefire franchise QB that at least four teams with worse QB situations than the Bills passed on him, too. And with all these supposedly great QBs coming out next year, there's every reason to believe someone similarly talented will be available for the taking with one of our first round picks--without a ridiculous trade up. Edited by mannc

Maybe our defensive first time head coach and GM should have considered why his mentor, QB magician Andy Reid wanted to trade 1st round picks and a 3rd for him. Sometimes the smartest thing to do is reassess a situation when someone that is an expert has a different read.

Maybe you should quit pumping up Mahomes as some can't miss project.

Check McD's resume. Besides, how many years did Belichick or Carroll or Andy Reid work in a front office before becoming coaches?

He's been in the league since the late 90s and I'd like to think he's learned what he needs to do to be successful. He's worked for coaches that understand the alignment necessary between personnel and the coaching staff.

He worked as a scout! I agree. And, look at us, being all positive 'n' stuff, who ever would've thunk it?

Maybe you should quit pumping up Mahomes as some can't miss project.

That's the problem right there. Waiting for only QB's that are "can't miss" has left the Bills without a franchise QB for two decades. I think drafting very good QB prospects is a better idea than trotting out other teams' backups and drafting late flyers on low upside guys like Levi Brown and Nathan Peterman.

That's the problem right there. Waiting for only QB's that are "can't miss" has left the Bills without a franchise QB for two decades. I think drafting very good QB prospects is a better idea than trotting out other teams' backups and drafting late flyers on low upside guys like Levi Brown and Nathan Peterman.

You did a very nice job here deflecting from your position

Well clearly McD and Dennison weren't as high on Mahomes as you and Reid are. You can assume Mahome is going to be some great franchise changing player but we won't know for at least 2 or 3 years.

People act like it's unprecedented for a new CEO type to come in the building and end the status quo. If there's a new leader in town it's typically because the previous one wasn't successful and changes needed to be made.

McD did what any decent CEO would do upon taking over a sinking ship. He pushed for changes and control to reverse the continued slide into oblivion. And that meant axing an underwhelming GM and his staff. It's not all Whaley's fault, but he was more of a problem than a solution.

He's the one standing up and making the changes, knowing full well that he'll take the arrows if things don't work. This is a tremendous change after years of people pointing at others when there was continued failure.

Good, positive take.

He worked as a scout! I agree. And, look at us, being all positive 'n' stuff, who ever would've thunk it?

Indeed.

Good, positive take.

Yes, good take by BillsVet.

Perhaps the MOST annoying thing about the Bills front office since Donahoe was canned is that there is no accountability there.

NONE.

It was particularly hysterical when Marrone came in and started preaching accountability and yet nobody was standing up and being truly accountable in that FO/Coaching staff.

People act like it's unprecedented for a new CEO type to come in the building and end the status quo. If there's a new leader in town it's typically because the previous one wasn't successful and changes needed to be made.

McD did what any decent CEO would do upon taking over a sinking ship. He pushed for changes and control to reverse the continued slide into oblivion. And that meant axing an underwhelming GM and his staff. It's not all Whaley's fault, but he was more of a problem than a solution.

He's the one standing up and making the changes, knowing full well that he'll take the arrows if things don't work. This is a tremendous change after years of people pointing at others when there was continued failure.

And hopefully Pegula is learning something in the process.

And hopefully Pegula is learning something in the process.

He liked it enough within a month or two to fire GM Tim Murray along with Bylsma on the Sabres. To me, that was clearly a result of liking McD's no nonsense, disciplined, take charge and accountability style.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

He liked it enough within a month or two to fire GM Tim Murray along with Bylsma on the Sabres. To me, that was clearly a result of liking McD's no nonsense, disciplined, take charge and accountability style.

I hope you're right.

Who said slam dunk? I said it puts us in one of the best positions to move up.

Which is still not particularly a good position.

You will have three QBs go top 3 in 2018.

The first time in NFL history?

There's a trillion to one shot of that happening,

No you won't.

Agreed.

Which is odd, if not negative.

You'd think the well-versed business man with years of experience would've already been a fan of that style.