GM Doug Whaley has been fired

Do you think before you let your fingers do the walking or do you just fire these gems off? What a load of crap.

Whaley had warts and worked in a dysfunctional environment. He's good at obtaining talent, hope things work out for him down the road.

Well its on these boards since I joined. Multiple people stating hea better than alot of other GMs. What owners wouldnt want a better GM?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pegula didn't explain the move very well at the press conference. I can't see this move being seen favourably in NFL circles. This is a brand problem of a different sort. Whaley had some credibility in NFL. He has relationships in the league. This is going to have an impact on attracting the best talent out there due to optics involved.

Pegula didn't explain the move very well at the press conference. I can't see this move being seen favourably in NFL circles. This is a brand problem of a different sort. Whaley had some credibility in NFL. He has relationships in the league. This is going to have an impact on attracting the best talent out there due to optics involved.

So, it was the Whaley firing that turned this franchise into an unprecedented fiasco?

I suppose a dysfunctional franchise with 17+ years of fail has nothing to do with attracting the markets best talent.

I often think listening to Pegula give an interview or press conference is painful but I didn't have much of an issue with him today. The media was fishing for a story they can run with and I like that he held his ground and refused to go into detail regarding why Whaley was fired. He kept things general and didn't give the media more fuel for their fires. We're not stupid. We know this decision was made well before the draft. Just like we know it was McD running things this weekend. All that matters is that Whaley was not good at his job and Pegula was wise enough to see that and let him go so he can try and find someone who is.

"Optics"?? I've heard more and more sports analysts use this term. What does it mean?

I am far from complaining about an inverted structure..... I would welcome that. It is a risk giving that much power to a rookie HC I agree but the alternative is the flat structure that has led to so many of the problems. If we are going to the Carroll / Schneider model or the Reid / Dorsey model I am fine with that... at least we would have a clear definition of whose say counts where.

I wasn't anti the flat structure 3 years ago and I think it can work if the two guys are tied at the hip. Where one came first and then the other followed I think you are just storing up all kinds of power struggle shaped trouble in future months and years.

I don't know who ever said that on this board. If he wants to continue working in the NFL he will... but it will be as a Director of Pro Personnel because that is where he really excels. His record as a drafter was mixed at best.

Exactly.

Since Donahoe was fired there has been no organizational accountability in the front office.

Whitey went out in a blaze but he owned the moves and that's the way it should be.

The constant "wondering" if Jauron or Gailey or Marrone or Rex were imposing moves on the GM here has been about f*cking ridiculous and it's been used as a way of deflecting blame by the organization.

Enough with the "Jauron picked Maybin no Brandon picked Maybin no Modrak picked Maybin" nonsense.

The "safety in numbers" approach by the FO employees of OBD was at best impeding progress.

Exactly.

Since Donahoe was fired there has been no organizational accountability in the front office.

Whitey went out in a blaze but he owned the moves and that's the way it should be.

The constant "wondering" if Jauron or Gailey or Marrone or Rex were imposing moves on the GM here has been about f*cking ridiculous and it's been used as a way of deflecting blame by the organization.

Enough with the "Jauron picked Maybin no Brandon picked Maybin no Modrak picked Maybin" nonsense.

The "safety in numbers" approach by the FO employees of OBD was at best impeding progress.

This. 100% this.

In a properly functioning organisation a flat all report to uncle Terry might work. But until the Bills can prove that they are that let's have some clear structure and accountability. If McDermott is the guy let's have him be the guy... if he fails in 3 or 4 years we fire him and his handpicked General Manager.

Exactly.

Can't disagree with any of this.

I'm fine with the move. Whaley was given a fair amount of time to create a playoff roster and didn't get it done. I would love to see some stability with this organization, hopefully the new GM along with coach McDermott provide that.

This. 100% this.

In a properly functioning organisation a flat all report to uncle Terry might work. But until the Bills can prove that they are that let's have some clear structure and accountability. If McDermott is the guy let's have him be the guy... if he fails in 3 or 4 years we fire him and his handpicked General Manager.

Right in line with you and Badol.

BUT, for the flat structure to work, the person at the top needs to be "the decider" and give direction and settle beefs before they even get that far. If Pegula wants to be the top and the leader, then he needs to be present and lead. He's not only not doing that, but I'm not sure we want him doing that.

He needs to put someone in charge, get out of the way and go back to Florida (since he's going there any way).

If that's McD, fine. I'm not thrilled, but at least there's some accountability.

Edited by DrDareustein

So, it was the Whaley firing that turned this franchise into an unprecedented fiasco?

I suppose a dysfunctional franchise with 17+ years of fail has nothing to do with attracting the markets best talent.

I think there are a lot of people that were hoping the rumors weren't true and the firing confirmed a lot of worries.

Hopefully McD works out though. This could all be part of a grand awakening to how things should be... or spastic flailing

This could be dismissed readily, but everything the owner does in private and public reflects on the team and The Shield.

BUT, for the flat structure to work, the person at the top needs to be "the decider" and give direction and settle beefs before they even get that far. If Pegula wants to be the top and the leader, then he needs to be present and lead. He's not only not doing that, but I'm not sure we want him doing that.

He needs to put someone in charge, get out of the way and go back to Florida (since he's going there any way).

If that's McD, fine. I'm not thrilled, but at least there's some accountability.

I'll agree with this sentiment.

I wouldve made it DW either at the initial purchase or this coaching search and committed to the structure, but if he wants it to be McD hopefully we found a gem that can handle it. Would make me nervous based on many failing and odds of us discovering a guy that does both is lower than just finding a coach but... well... let's commit to a structure and have everyone actually step into real roles.

This. 100% this.

There are a variety organizational structures that have proved to be successful and there are the same organizational structures that have proved to be failures. Regardless what the structure is what is guaranteed to fail is a system where accountability and responsibility are defused. That dynamic applies to all types of enterprises that have nothing to do with sports.

It has been apparent that once McDermott was brought on board Whaley's history with the organization was clearly written. There has never been an occasion that I can remember where the GM was completely silenced and the coach's voice was prominently elevated over the GM's. I have no problem with having a primary voice but when the GM is publicly told to not say anything on behalf of the organization that was more than a public demotion, it was a public castrating.

The irony is that it seems that in this draft Whaley did a good job of providing a list of the type of prospects that McDermott would be comfortable with. There is no question that McDermott is driving the bus. However, I get queasy when the role of HC and GM are wrapped into one. In that type of all encompassing setup there is not a counterbalance between the short and long term interests of the franchise. I find that worrisome.

Well said!

Edited by Reed83HOF

I think there are a lot of people that were hoping the rumors weren't true and the firing confirmed a lot of worries.

Hopefully McD works out though. This could all be part of a grand awakening to how things should be... or spastic flailing

I bet the other teams in our division were hoping it wasn't true. Even Belichick is probably bummed; I hear he had grown quite fond of his annual RFA poker games with Doug.