Who is going to play WLB for this defense?

The simple fact of the matter is you cannot fill every spot on the team with a well known veteran or early draft pick

and you cannot fill every spot in one draft

from what I'm saying we literally needed 1 more guy to do that. How is it a simple fact that you can't ? If we just signed zach Brown we would have done it. It's really nothing that's impossible. If we find a decent guy to play WLB from now until September, we will have done that

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with the OP, I'd rather have dealt with a hole at OT and have a fast rookie like Cunningham at weakside LB, who was still there when we took the big fella.

All I can assume is Whaley might have one last free agent trick up his sleeve before he gets the boot. The guy is good at finding lb's that turn into pro bowlers.

We will see how deep this draft really is now. Wondering if there is a consensus on the best strong safety still available.

As much as I hated Duke Williams as a Safety, I always thought he should be locked in a weight room or a buffet until he put on 25 LBs and became a new aged MLB. He was real aggressive and was fast. Wasn't afraid to hit and could cover well for a LB standards. He was a terrible Dback but I always wanted to see the Bills try and convert him into a small fast LB like the cardinals use.

Nooooooooo god no

from what I'm saying we literally needed 1 more guy to do that. How is it a simple fact that you can't ? If we just signed zach Brown we would have done it. It's really nothing that's impossible. If we find a decent guy to play WLB from now until September, we will have done that

obviously the bills didnt feel Z. Brown was the answer.

I gotta tell you....im not worried about it because Whaley finds linebackers

What I can tell you is the draft picks we have taken have been good ones....and we are not done yet.....

No you can't fill all your starting needs in one draft, but after the euphoria of finally moving down and acquiring extra draft picks, for the first time in years, it looked with all the extra picks we could find legit starters for all our holes

That was of course, B4 we had to move up, and give all of em away, again, same ole Bills, at least under this mgmt - look I hope it works out, but to date I still can't name a single player we moved up recently in a draft that was worth the picks we lost

Our LB situation is rather brutal in the wake of it all, but I am thrilled that we replaced Woods, Gilmore, and finally found a RT, but in regards to what we lost this off season, still not sure we have improved in any way this off season, it all seems like sideways moves, while the teams we pay went out and got better, time will tell...

jc

Edited by wilcoam

We will see how deep this draft really is now. Wondering if there is a consensus on the best strong safety still available.

Not sure who the best is but I'd love Xavier Woods. Kinda reminds me of Karl Joseph. Scored a 39 on the Wonderlic if you care about that sort of thing.

I want to say the Bills met with him.

No you can't fill all your starting needs in one draft, but after the euphoria of finally moving down and acquiring extra draft picks, for the first time in years, it looked with all the extra picks we could find legit starters for all our holes

That was of course, B4 we had to move up, and give all of em away, again, same ole Bills, at least under this mgmt - look I hope it works out, but to date I still can't name a single player we moved up recently in a draft that was worth the picks we lost

Our LB situation is rather brutal in the wake of it all, but I am thrilled that w replaced Woods, Gilmore, and finally found a RT, but in regards to what e lost this off season, still not sure we have improebd any this off season, while others team used the draft to do so

jc

omg

Ok

We had some real glaring needs headed into this draft.......they have addressed the 3 main ones while aquiring a FIRST ROUND PICK NEXT YEAR and still have picks left

Some people are just never happy unless they are crying like biaches

I'm pretty sure this is why we picked up Poyer/Hyde to play these versatile roles.... My understanding is that we will be a nickel base defense 75% of the time with 2 LB on the field (Lorenzo Alexander/Reggie Ragland?) , Maybe Hyde is going to play the Deone Buchanon role of LB/S hybrid ? There will still be cuts after the draft so I won't worry about it until we go into the season with Roman Humber as our WLB.

The simple fact of the matter is you cannot fill every spot on the team with a well known veteran or early draft pick

and you cannot fill every spot in one draft

If you manage your cap properly and don't let your good players leave, you can fill all your needs thru the draft and free agency. Letting good players get away and then using your draft picks to replace them gets you nowhere.

Our LB situation is rather brutal in the wake of it all, but I am thrilled that w replaced Woods, Gilmore, and finally found a RT, but in regards to what e lost this off season, still not sure we have improebd any this off season, while others team used the draft to do so

jc

Only the first and second round picks do teams often think of as starters. Hardly anyone, in general, thinks of a third round pick as a day one starter. So even though we picked up that extra 3, which was, what, #91? Hardly any coach or GM or scout would think that the 91 overall would be expected to start. It happens but fairly rare and usually only on crappy teams. We had to trade up and give away two fifths to get to the bottom of the second round to get their third perceived starter.

And we need more DBs. We still need another starting caliber safety IMO.

True. Hard to say how Poyner is going to play. McDermott obviously likes him. It's hard for us fans to know how well certain players are going to play in new systems even if we followed the Panthers fairly closely (Most good coaches adjust their system to fit the strengths and weaknesses of their players). I think we likely need another safety and another CB, too. But draft picks after the third round are not expected to help right away.

If you manage your cap properly and don't let your good players leave, you can fill all your needs thru the draft and free agency. Letting good players get away and then using your draft picks to replace them gets you nowhere.

That only works if you have a QB that sucks or one on a rookie deal. It is impossible to have a great veteran QB and keep all your guys. New Orleans can not, New England can not, the Colts couldn't, and neither can Seattle. Every year New England gets rid of guys that are due to get paid. The Seahawks signed their core when Wilson was on a third round pick salary. New Orleans has been gutted because of Brees' contract.

This is the same kind of mentality that a few years down the road we find our selves wondering how we took so and so with so and so still on the board.

You take bpa and if they sync up with a more pressing need, then perfect. If not you end up taking guys like Troup because you NEED a NT.

Unfortunately, as it stands we may be watching Brown play Wlb, with Reggie the Mlb and Zo at strong. Brown did however have a decent year in that role under Schwartz....still, Cunningham was there and would've been ideal in this D. Maybe coach has a different plan,I hope so