Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

Starting to think there is a chance Baker Mayfield ends up the 1st overall pick.   Hit me over the weekend when the Browns announced they were hiring Scot McCloughan as a consultant for the draft.  Immediately began to think back to comments he made about Mayfield being the quarterback he likes the most out of this draft class.   ProFootballTalk had a this on their site this AM.

Scot McCloughan on Baker Mayfield

Could be 100% a smokescreen.  Any chance you think the Browns take Mayfield #1 or #4?

7 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Starting to think there is a chance Baker Mayfield ends up the 1st overall pick.   Hit me over the weekend when the Browns announced they were hiring Scot McCloughan as a consultant for the draft.  Immediately began to think back to comments he made about Mayfield being the quarterback he likes the most out of this draft class.   ProFootballTalk had a this on their site this AM.

Scot McCloughan on Baker Mayfield

Could be 100% a smokescreen.  Any chance you think the Browns take Mayfield #1 or #4?

I’ll take Mayfield or Darnold...should be able to get one of them.

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

The link is from WGR with Ollie Connelly from Cox discussing the qb class. It's about a 12 minute segment. Good stuff. 

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/02-07-ollie-connolly-cox-media-jeremy-and-sal-josh-allen

I heard this morning and thought it was really good.

A couple thoughts:

His opinion on Lamar Jackson is not the first time I have heard that from "scouts".  I am starting to wonder how he is viewed within teams personnel rooms.  I think he may end up going a lot earlier than anticipated.

I also wonder if Josh Allen is being overrated by the media.  A lot of his tape is bad and I wonder how he is truly rated.

Starting to think Jackson may end up being picked before Allen.

Edited by Ittakestime

39 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

A couple thoughts:

His opinion on Lamar Jackson is not the first time I have heard that from "scouts".  I am starting to wonder how he is viewed within teams personnel rooms.  I think he may end up going a lot earlier than anticipated.

I also wonder if Josh Allen is being overrated by the media.  A lot of his tape is bad and I wonder how he is truly rated.

He did say that Jackson ran more pro style concepts than most of the prospects?

46 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

A couple thoughts:

His opinion on Lamar Jackson is not the first time I have heard that from "scouts".  I am starting to wonder how he is viewed within teams personnel rooms. I think he may end up going a lot earlier than anticipated.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson is picked ahead of Allen because of Allen's fatal flaw of not being accurate. As I have said in prior posts the best way to evaluate Jackson is to compare his game a year ago to this year. There was a quantum leap forward. In my opinion neither qb is going to be immediately ready. Development time needs to be allotted for each prospect. In comparison I believe that Rosen and Mayfield are the most ready prospects. 

29 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Kind of.  He said Allen did too, but he pretty much said that whole theory is hogwash. 

This is another link from WGR discussing the draft with Kyle Crabbs of NDT Scouting. One opinion that stood out was that he was very leery of Allen. This is a 20 segment with the focus mostly on the qbs. 

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/2-7-kyle-crabbs-ndtscouting-talks-nfl-draft-schopp-and-bulldog

18 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Might want to get yourself checked lol ;)

For what? A prostrate exam? Before submitting to the bend over indignity make sure the person doing the exam is not wearing a SB ring. The passage way can not handle the cargo coming through. 

22 hours ago, JohnC said:

This is another link from WGR discussing the draft with Kyle Crabbs of NDT Scouting. One opinion that stood out was that he was very leery of Allen. This is a 20 segment with the focus mostly on the qbs. 

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/2-7-kyle-crabbs-ndtscouting-talks-nfl-draft-schopp-and-bulldog

Did Kyle say he has Lamar as his 4th rated QB in this draft?

2 hours ago, the skycap said:

Did Kyle say he has Lamar as his 4th rated QB in this draft?

I'm not sure where he ranked Lamar. What he said is that it is foolish to downgrade a qb for being able to run. In his view it is an additional asset that should raise an evaluation and not lessen it. 

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

For what? A prostrate exam? Before submitting to the bend over indignity make sure the person doing the exam is not wearing a SB ring. The passage way can not handle the cargo coming through. 

Sadly, this sounds like someone who speaks from experience. My condolences, and I hope you heal up nicely. (But refrain from sharing stories of your recovery, I might add.) 

8 hours ago, Augie said:

Sadly, this sounds like someone who speaks from experience. My condolences, and I hope you heal up nicely. (But refrain from sharing stories of your recovery, I might add.) 

I have had numerous exams. There is no need to send condolences. The protrusion was not a problem. However, there is an indignity to the scene of dropping one's pants and bending over and waiting for the act. :o

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

I have had numerous exams. There is no need to send condolences. The protrusion was not a problem. However, there is an indignity to the scene of dropping one's pants and bending over and waiting for the act. :o

I’ve had the exam, but never with a Super Bowl ring. THAT would be a game changer! 

2 hours ago, ALF said:

Kyle Boller did the same thing, didn't turn out too well for him. Takes more than a strong arm to be a QB. A lot of people in the know think Josh Allen is the Bills target.

Curiosity.........

1.  Do you think Lamar Jackson is a better prospect than Patrick Mahomes was at this time last year?

2.  If Lamar Jackson and Patrick Mahomes were in the same draft, which would you want on the Bills?

On February 23, 2018 at 12:08 PM, PIZ said:

Curiosity.........

1.  Do you think Lamar Jackson is a better prospect than Patrick Mahomes was at this time last year?

2.  If Lamar Jackson and Patrick Mahomes were in the same draft, which would you want on the Bills?

I'd take Jackson because he has dominated big games and he's more explosive than Mahomes

The CBA is hurting the NFL by not letting teams develop a new QB in the off season a lot more. Working on mechanics and film learning to read defences. 

No contact but a lot of work needed with coaches. Now more then ever a drafted QB needs to sit out 1 or 2 years and watch from the booth with a coach 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.