So When Do We Project to Be a Playoff Team?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After the trade down yesterday, I think it's clear that Bills management doesn't think it'll happen in 2017. If they'd thought this team was close, they'd have used that #10 overall to find a clear upgrade at an obvious position of need.

So what is the target year now? When could the Bills reasonably project as a 9.5 win (or so) team; that is, a team that is expected/is more likely than not to be in the playoffs? Not as in, "we project as a 7-9 team, but if a bunch of bounces go our way we could sneak into the playoffs at 9-7."

2018: they've pretty much signaled that Tyrod is a one year bridge (again) in 2017, and there'll be a new QB in 2018. You wouldn't be stockpiling picks for 2018 expecting to win with rookies right away. Plus you've got some big contracts for aging players in their decline phases still on the books. So ... no. Not yet.

2019? I'd guess that McD (not Whaley) thinks this is when he'll have to start showing results. Start showing results, as in "got out from under some of the bad decisions of the Whaley era, and started showing a new core of players that's ready to take the next step."

That brings me to 2020 ... I guess all of that could change if we somehow grab a Garoppolo or Cousins and he turns out to be the QB of our dreams, but that seems unlikely. 2020 it is!

EDIT: maybe this has something to do with how long they think Brady will last? The recent moves strike me as going into full rebuild mode but being afraid to admit it.

Huh, how does that even make sense where I bolded it? We traded down and got a very valuable asset (additional 3rd) in this deep draft that very well could produce a key starter and upgraded the absolute unquestionable biggest need on this team which was DB and still got a massive asset next year in a second first. I mean we needed more than 1 player to contend and this team had only 6 picks in this rich draft. We got one of the top corners in the draft and hopefully will snag another key player in the 3rd where there will be some talented WR's, LB's and DB's on the board still, all of which we need. Could also see us grab a OT or a QB too with that pick.

What part of any of that suggests anything you just wrote? I don't understand some of illogical conclusions people come up with around here. I mean we literally did exactly what you said we didn't do, and picked up potentially 2 more starters with the 2 additional picks this year and next.

Edited by Alphadawg7

You people realize that if the Bills had just average Defensive play last year that they'd of made the playoffs. TT can absolutely take them there. The offense can regress a little, but if the D progresses they will be in the playoff hunt this year.

Yes and No.

While a better D would absolutely help, we could have been 9-6 heading into the Jets game (with Hotrod starting and POs on the line) If we could have scored the last time we had the football vs Hawks and Fish.

Hotrod needs to come through in a couple of games like that or us to push through. Russell Wilson has to and he has the best D. Roger Staubach did it a lot and had great Ds too (Doomsday anyone?)

Even the great 2014 D needed late game offensive heroics to win 3 games (Bears, Lions, and Vikings).

We need both IMHO.

Edited by reddogblitz

Anyone out there want to argue for 2018? 2019? Come on, convince me that I'm wrong!

I'll argue for this year... 2017! The one thing everyone is overlooking is the Bills are virtually getting three stud talents added to this defense. Shaq, Ragland and White all will go through their 1st full training camps (barring injuries). Add a playmaker in the 2nd or 3rd at wr and the Bills could battle for a wildcard spot this year. Please look at a a comparison of KCs talent to ours... it's not that different. It's all on coaching, and if Buffalo got the right one then we could be in for a great year.

I disagree that we have Sammy and a bunch of #3WR's

I would say we have Sammy and a bunch of #4 and #5 WR's

Hopefully tonight we add real upside #2 and #3 WR's

I love Zay, Goodwin, Kupp, and the hybrid Samuel

Fingers crossed

If we do add someone maybe folks might feel differently about our offensive direction moving forward

Though I feel the 2017 year in terms of wins will be all about the new D scheme and it responds

Without OLB upgrades tonight it also looks scary

jc

The more we lean on that the more we'll see the Pats get an Aaron Rodger 2.0 to replace Brady at the perfect time.

I was really holding out hope garoppo would get traded yesterday.

Watch bb franchise him next year. No one thinks he'll pay 2 Qb's that much, but I think he sees Jimmy as the future.

I was really holding out hope garoppo would get traded yesterday.

Watch bb franchise him next year. No one thinks he'll pay 2 Qb's that much, but I think he sees Jimmy as the future.

im hoping the Browns 257th time calling the Pats on this is the charm. It takes them out of the top QB market next year and weakens the Pats at the QB position if Brady gets hurt.

im hoping the Browns 257th time calling the Pats on this is the charm. It takes them out of the top QB market next year and weakens the Pats at the QB position if Brady gets hurt.

I'd like the Bills to try and build a good team even if Brady plays another 5 years...

So ... the answer to my question is? 2019?

....emotionally or logically?......emotionally, once the final 53 is cast, there should be about 42,193 posts about 13-3, 12-4, 11-5, 10-6, yada yada......it's called the "17 Year Refrain"......I have it on my victrola, vinyl 45 and 78 versions, 8 track and cassette tapes for your listening pleasure.....logically, assess performance to date in four game increments......don't know how Bflo will fare let alone the other 31......by week 12, you'll know if you should start booking tee times for January.....stay tuned............

....emotionally or logically?......emotionally, once the final 53 is cast, there should be about 42,193 posts about 13-3, 12-4, 11-5, 10-6, yada yada......it's called the "17 Year Refrain"......I have it on my victrola, vinyl 45 and 78 versions, 8 track and cassette tapes for your listening pleasure.....logically, assess performance to date in four game increments......don't know how Bflo will fare let alone the other 31......by week 12, you'll know if you should start booking tee times for January.....stay tuned............

start of another 3 year program

i feel a lot better about this one, the Rex one didn't feel too good and was released after 2 years

After the trade down yesterday, I think it's clear that Bills management doesn't think it'll happen in 2017. If they'd thought this team was close, they'd have used that #10 overall to find a clear upgrade at an obvious position of need.

So what is the target year now? When could the Bills reasonably project as a 9.5 win (or so) team; that is, a team that is expected/is more likely than not to be in the playoffs? Not as in, "we project as a 7-9 team, but if a bunch of bounces go our way we could sneak into the playoffs at 9-7."

2018: they've pretty much signaled that Tyrod is a one year bridge (again) in 2017, and there'll be a new QB in 2018. You wouldn't be stockpiling picks for 2018 expecting to win with rookies right away. Plus you've got some big contracts for aging players in their decline phases still on the books. So ... no. Not yet.

2019? I'd guess that McD (not Whaley) thinks this is when he'll have to start showing results. Start showing results, as in "got out from under some of the bad decisions of the Whaley era, and started showing a new core of players that's ready to take the next step."

That brings me to 2020 ... I guess all of that could change if we somehow grab a Garoppolo or Cousins and he turns out to be the QB of our dreams, but that seems unlikely. 2020 it is!

EDIT: maybe this has something to do with how long they think Brady will last? The recent moves strike me as going into full rebuild mode but being afraid to admit it.

Sounds about right. When Brady retires that's when we will be ready to pounce. Still need to load up. Would like to see us get Greg Robinson today to play RT from day one.