So When Do We Project to Be a Playoff Team?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You people realize that if the Bills had just average Defensive play last year that they'd of made the playoffs. TT can absolutely take them there. The offense can regress a little, but if the D progresses they will be in the playoff hunt this year.

Rex set a very good D way back . It will take at least the 2018 draft to recover imo

It's kind of time we stopped talking about that. Schwartz's 2014 defense is gone! Literally gone as in Gilmore and Mario. Figuratively gone as in Dareus is not the player he was, Kyle is at the very end of the line if he even does come back, and a whole lot of their replacements are not of the same quality as the players Schwartz had back then. (And that is why McD is trying to rebuild from scratch with young players, and lots of them) You can blame Rex for ruining 2015, and maybe even for making 2016 worse than it should have been, but 2014 is way, way over....

Edited by The Frankish Reich

I start from the premise that the Bills obviously need to get better than they were last year to realistically compete this year, and there's really no sane argument that that is going to happen when the draft is all done.

I continue with the premise that adding rookie talent in 2018 isn't a recipe for immediate success. And I conclude with the premise that Bills management must, therefore, realistically (even if they can't say it for PR/Pegula reasons) think that 2019 at the earliest is the target.

you said:

"After the trade down yesterday, I think it's clear that Bills management doesn't think it'll happen in 2017. If they'd thought this team was close, they'd have used that #10 overall to find a clear upgrade at an obvious position of need"

So they didn't find a clear upgrade to an obvious position of need because they picked lower? In other words you aren't a fan of Tre White and don't think he can start...

Explain please. If you're Whaley/McD and you think you're on the verge of winning now, why do you trade down to add another 1st rounder next year? I guess you could say "because we're so good right now we don't need that #10 overall to put us over the top" ...

Because we were going to draft a corner at 10, and got a corner at 27. Was the corner at 10 that much better THIS year than the one at 27? No. We also add a 3rd this year, which is another 2017 contributor. We also can help continue to build with extra picks instead of constantly having 5 picks every year and just scrambling to put a roster together. 2 firsts for 1 is a pretty good deal every time.

I don't think we will make the playoffs this year, but I also don't think we're just going to pack it in either. We were 7-9 last year, and the subtraction of substandard coaching could do some wonders with motivating and just general development of some of our younger players. We're getting back a few players who were injured last year (Lawson, Ragland, Watkins), as well as hopefully getting more out of Dareus (Waufle coached Donald up to be one of the best players in the NFL).

Edited by dneveu

I completely disagree with the sentiment that the Bills concede that they're not a playoff team because of the trade down.

No logic to it, at all.

Other teams to trade down include Seattle (like every year) and Green Bay. Trading up or down doesn't concede anything about the FO's view of the roster.

The distance to that year is not as far away as it once seemed...

so there's hope!

I think there is loads of hope. Let's see what the new guy produces on the field. But so far it's hard not to like his intensity and his seemingly strong grasp of all the levers he should have control of to do this well.

The draft move as a business play made sense. They landed a nice corner and two additional picks that should also garner contributors/starters

I start from the premise that the Bills obviously need to get better than they were last year to realistically compete this year, and there's really no sane argument that that is going to happen when the draft is all done.

I continue with the premise that adding rookie talent in 2018 isn't a recipe for immediate success. And I conclude with the premise that Bills management must, therefore, realistically (even if they can't say it for PR/Pegula reasons) think that 2019 at the earliest is the target.

Not a single premise there is supportable. Saying that the idea that this draft can improve the team isn't sane really defies logic. Because we got a great CB who nan start, and may pick up another starter or 2 today?

Bad thread.

Because we were going to draft a corner at 10, and got a corner at 27. Was the corner at 10 that much better THIS year than the one at 27? No. We also add a 3rd this year. We also can help continue to build with extra picks instead of constantly having 5 picks and just scrambling to put a roster together.

No that can't be it, your response makes too much sense... You nailed it!

Again I'm not saying they will make the playoffs in 2017. But I see no reason why the trade down signifies they believe that to be the case. Imo if they had gotten rid of TT and drafted a QB in the first and planned to start him right away... that would tell me they do not project to make the playoffs anytime soon.

you said:

"After the trade down yesterday, I think it's clear that Bills management doesn't think it'll happen in 2017. If they'd thought this team was close, they'd have used that #10 overall to find a clear upgrade at an obvious position of need"

So they didn't find a clear upgrade to an obvious position of need because they picked lower? In other words you aren't a fan of Tre White and don't think he can start...

Not at all. I think it would be nuts to assume that he will be as good as Gilmore in his rookie season. Overall the talent of the losses is going to exceed the talent of the additions, at least in 2017. And since some of the additions are now going to be deferred to 2018, I think it only makes sense to assume - and for the record, I agree with this assumption, and am glad the Bills (new) management has made it! - that this team knows 2017 and 2018 are, at best, transitional years.

Never.

It's all rigged. The NFL knows Browns fans and Bills fans are bought in, the teams never have to get good. The NFL needs "big market' fair weather fan teams like New England, Miami, the Cowboys, the Giants to be good to get casual fans to buy merchandise. Even if we were good our revenue wouldn't change dramatically. So we'll just go along recycling talent for the big teams to boost their rosters and sell just enough hope to keep the tailgates flowing and our little piece of revenue trickling in.

Again I'm not saying they will make the playoffs in 2017. But I see no reason why the trade down signifies they believe that to be the case. Imo if they had gotten rid of TT and drafted a QB in the first and planned to start him right away... that would tell me they do not project to make the playoffs anytime soon.

I think maybe this is a difference in how we perceive the bolded phrase. Yes, they definitely CAN make the playoffs. Every year some darkhorse team sneaks in. There's really not a whole lot to be said for why the Dolphins are superior to the Bills. But that's not building a team that (if everything plays out as expected) should make the playoffs. We've been living in that "if the ball bounces our way in a few key situations and we stay healthy and other teams that are more talented than us have flukey bad seasons we can sneak in" world for what now? A dozen years? 17 years? That's not what I mean by building a team with the talent to expect a playoff appearance.

I think a quick look at what we have in terms of LB's and WR's, and the complete re-tolling of our secondary, plus a rookie HC, and it suggests we are not a playoff team in 2017, and that you are spot on about 2017 and 2018 rookies needing NFL adjustment time

Let's not forgot the potential of future injuries, remember our 2016 draft class hardly contributed, and we are presently one major WR, RB, and or QB injury away from tanking 2017

Though there is still lots of talent on this roster, to some degree our Bills have 2 extra high round draft picks held over from last year that are still basically rookies, and so nothing points that we are a 6 or worse win team either, so when you are a 8-9 win team, anything can happen, a couple of breaks, and you are a 10 win team, just as easily as a 7 win team, I wouldn't automatically write off this year and next, or say trading down negates winning 10 games plus

But I would also temper expectations, and look at our sections in the draft more about their long term 4 plus years potential then just what they offer this season in terms of need at any given position

jc

You people realize that if the Bills had just average Defensive play last year that they'd of made the playoffs. TT can absolutely take them there. The offense can regress a little, but if the D progresses they will be in the playoff hunt this year.

Then they better draft a WR next pick.

Then they better draft a WR next pick.

I don't like any of the WR that are left. I definitely don't want one tonight. I think by passing on guys like Howard the dude from miami and engram, it tells us the bills have a lot of faith in Logan Thomas. Thomas, Holmes are two HUGE WR threats.