I don't understand the White hate...

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not seeing any White hate. Where are you seeing that? I'm seeing critics (myself included) saying that from all we know and hear he seems to be a useful player, not destined for stardom but destined to be a solid starting CB. The criticism is about Bills' management and what the plan is - assuming there is a plan? - for how they're either going to get better in 2017, or get good enough to be a real SB competitor in the foreseeable future. Besides, in the battle of the unnecessary apostrophes, I prefer Adoree' to Tre'Davious (understanding that the former is really just a transliteration of the French accent aigu)

You clearly haven't read the board...the usuals are in full effect hating all over this pick. Especially the crowd that feels TT is trash and Mahomes is a franchise saving demigod.

The Internet age has really complicated drafts. Fans read mocks and watch YouTube for a month or 2, and it leads to a sort of false sense of who should go where, and who the Bills "should" take at a given position.

It's just not like that. I'm not discounting that some may put in serious time and really know their stuff. But even with those guys, it's a small fraction of what scouts and decision makers put in.

Actually, the internet age and the age of freely available video and all of these mock drafts (by the way, the dumbest and most boring thing ever in sports talk; how many of these have ever been correct past the first 3 or 4 picks?), the likelihood of a team making a truly controversial/highly-criticized pick is pretty minimal. For example, Mayock's Round 1 capsule assessments:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000803412/article/mike-mayocks-pickbypick-draft-analysis

The same bland assessments you'll see everywhere. Every guy is a fine player, either a "day one starter" or a "guy with incredible athleticism and a high upside" or a "solid college player with great intangibles." I dare you to find a pick that is excoriated as idiotic. (I kind of miss those old days.) And it's even more unlikely for anyone to find a hidden gem; everyone's got video, no small college guy flies under the radar in the later rounds. It's gotten to what economists would call an efficient market. That's why the focus turns to things like the trades - the focus is on GMs and their plans, on competition windows and salary caps, all that kind of stuff instead of the absolute value (or lack thereof) of an individual player.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

He's a fine cb choice. I question the recycling cb strategy, but that's a different matter. I'll feel better about it if they find a way to land Kizer in the second.

That's my worst nightmare unless the FO legitimately had Kizer as their #1 QB on the board. I pray that we don't draft any QB in the first 3 rounds this year (unless Webb or Kizer somehow falls to rd 3) this year and stockpile picks and talent. Get the QB next year. We didn't draft the best QBs this year, no reason to get the best of the rest in a weak QB class (imo)

I think the only people that are crying are the Whaley haters and the guys that wanted a QB in rd 1.

Edited by NewEra

You clearly haven't read the board...the usuals are in full effect hating all over this pick. Especially the crowd that feels TT is trash and Mahomes is a franchise saving demigod.

I don't see that as White hate. I see it as Whaley/McD/ownership hate. Nobody is saying that White is not worthy of the 27th overall pick. They're saying that the Bills made a mistake passing over potential impact players to trade down to take a 27th overall talent.

it's because of his privilege?

:D

I don't see that as White hate. I see it as Whaley/McD/ownership hate. Nobody is saying that White is not worthy of the 27th overall pick. They're saying that the Bills made a mistake passing over potential impact players to trade down to take a 27th overall talent.

:D

Correct. Dropped down way too far and missed out on pro bowl quality players to get an undersized corner that was projected to go where you got him. The way the draft was playing out the 10th pick was more valuable than what they got in return because lots of top players were dropping. Lots of talent between 10-25 so to drop all the way to 27 was very unfortunate

4 year starter in the best conference in college football.

Leader, high character, and straight baller.

Fills position of need and the best thing about it? We gained 2 extra picks which includes a first rounder next year in the best QB class in awhile.

Smart move OBD. Let's finish strong these next 2 days, go 5-11 next year, and we have a legit shot at Darnold, Rosen, or Allen.

Stay positive folks. I trust this McDermott guy.

👍

Correct. Dropped down way too far and missed out on pro bowl quality players to get an undersized corner that was projected to go where you got him. The way the draft was playing out the 10th pick was more valuable than what they got in return because lots of top players were dropping. Lots of talent between 10-25 so to drop all the way to 27 was very unfortunate

I pretty much agree. But here's where we are these days with all this draft talk:

- Analyst (or GM) A: "2017 is a really deep draft. I don't see a great talent gap between the 10th best player and the 27th best player. Therefore, it makes sense to trade down since you're not giving up much immediately for the benefit of getting another 1st round pick next year."

- Analyst (or GM) B: "2017 is not as good a draft class as 2018. Better not to waste the 10th pick on a player that isn't really rated as a Pro Bowl talent. Stockpile picks in that next draft, which is looking like it's going to be really good."

Two diametrically opposed arguments, both in favor of doing exactly what the Bills did. And there's equally good arguments against what the Bills did. To me it all comes down to not what the quality/depth of the 2017 vs. 2018 draft class is, but on where the Bills are in their (apparent) goal to build a Super Bowl contender. And to me, that's why this trade - following the re-signing of Tyrod and the other off season roster moves - makes no sense.