Ironic About Coach McDermott

McD wasn't hired because of Carolina's record in 2015 or SB run, if you want to say that was all Cam Newton. He wasn't even hired because of his defensive scheme or Xs and Os. He was hired because he displays the leadership traits of a HC. Which is much harder to find than someone who just succeeded as a coordinator. Vance Joseph and Anthony Lynn were hired for the same reason.

Man I certainly hope that's not true.Hiring a HC because he "displays the leadership traits of a HC". Yikes, but I guess it would be a Billsy thing to do.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I certainly hope that's not true.Hiring a HC because he "displays the leadership traits of a HC". Yikes, but I guess it would be a Billsy thing to do.

Pegs is learning at least. It only took him 2 years of Rex to find out what HC leadership traits are...

Why exactly can you say that it was definitively Cam Newton who made Sean McDermott's defense so good? I'm not quite fully following...

McDermott ran a top 10 defense 4 of the last 5 years. He also had the #12 ranked defense in both of his 2 years as DC in Philly.

He has been a defensive coordinator for 8 years and had a top 12 defense in 6 of those 8 years.

Carolina's defense made some huge improvements under McDermott too.

- They were 25th in sacks his first year, 9th his second year and were ranked #1 in the NFL by his 3rd year

- 27th in total points allowed & points per game his first year, and ranked #2 in the NFL by his 3rd year.

- 25th in rushing yards allowed his 1st year and ranked #2 by his 3rd year.

- 20th in interceptions in his 1st year and tied for 5th in Interceptions by his 3rd year.

- 20th in receiving yards per game in his 1st year, to 11th by his 3rd year

- 28th in total yards per game in his 1st year, to 2nd in YPG by his 3rd year

I fail to see how all of that improvement was because of Cam Newton.

I think Sean McDermott has legitimately earned this head coaching job based on the merits of his performance, and that is the first time I feel like I can honestly say that about a Bills head coach in quite some time.

This is like the Dolphins game last year, some people are convinced that the most important player on defense is the QB.

the most important player on the D in the phins game was the CB who was on the bench when Alai got the big run at the end of the game....yeh, the play where there were only 10 defenders on the field, and they ran at the unoccupied corner. That was why Pegs had to can the Ryans immediately. Reportedly, that was the third time last season they only had 10 guys out there.

I'm gonna go with the things that long-time, successful head coaches and other league personnel have said about the guy.

Cam Newton tore up the 2015 season, sure, but before Newton and with him, McDermott was fielding defenses finishing in the top ten in five or six seasons he was in Carolina.

I firmly believe some people aim to nitpick simply for the sake of it. Aside from those that have worked with him, no one knows how this guy is going to turn out as a HC.

Vance Joseph's D was among worst in the league last year. And it was his one and only year as DC. Mike McCarthy had a terrible offense in SF when hired by GB. Alynn wasn't even running his own scheme (his words) and had the worse passing offense in the league. You can blame the players all you want but that won't get you HC jobs. Alynn isn't running the offense in LA, Whisenhunt is. I'm sure there are more, but these just came to mind. Many HCs are indeed hired mainly for their success as coordinators but it's not the only way to go. Eventually the HC can be looked at as just the HC and not "an offensive or defensive HC."

fair enough.

This is like the Dolphins game last year, some people are convinced that the most important player on defense is the QB.

And some are convinced that Cam Newton is some kind of elite quarterback when the lowly Tyrod actually outplayed him the last 2 years since Tyrod became a starter.

Tyrod beat him in completion percentage, average yards per pass, interceptions, passer rating and rushing yards per carry.

The only category Cam Newton was better in both years was sacks. He had 3 less than Tyrod in 2015 and 6 less in 2016.

Tyrod statistically was a better passer and better runner.

Can't get the damn chart to post and format properly.

Edited by PolishDave

And some are convinced that Cam Newton is some kind of elite quarterback when the lowly Tyrod actually outplayed him the last 2 years since Tyrod became a starter.

Tyrod beat him in completion percentage, average yards per pass, interceptions, passer rating and rushing yards per carry.

The only category Cam Newton was better in both years was sacks. He had 3 less than Tyrod in 2015 and 6 less in 2016.

Tyrod statistically was a better passer and better runner.

I will take Cam Newton's 35 Passing TD's, 10 Rushing TD's 15 wins and a Superbowl appearance a year ago over any year Tyrod has ever had .

Taking away all the other arguments we've had about Tyrod that last Miami game was very impressive. And it was the last game of just his 2nd year as a starter. That alone makes me happy we kept him. I'm hoping he can play like that more consistently. Most QBs drafted never have a game that good in their whole career.

i agree and think we will see a big improvement this year. against miami 26/39 ? 326 yds 3-0 he can do it ......more often is what we need.

He will probably role with the current QB room and say he can make it work with them and that

1.) Scheme

2.) Heart

3.) Character

Will be the keys to victory.

But I find it interesting that the only reason McDermott is a Head Coach in the Nfl is NOT because of Scheme, Heart, Character but

1.) The Panthers went 1-15

2.) Ryan Fitzpatrick got hot.

Let's just say I don't see Coach McDermott would be on the radar with Jimmy Clausen running the show in Carolina.

You would hope Coach McDermott would be different and realize this...but it sounds like it is trending in the other direction.

There is that great preview for GOT. With all the faces of characters who have died. Feel we have one similar in Buffalo for coaches who believed in Scheme, Character and Heart over the important things.

not sure what any of this means, but I do know that none of it is irony.

I will take Cam Newton's 35 Passing TD's, 10 Rushing TD's 15 wins and a Superbowl appearance a year ago over any year Tyrod has ever had .

well, most people would take two years over 1 year. Did you mean something other than what you said with your words?

The OP is flat out wrong.

This is where McDermott came from.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/27/polian-couldnt-happier-bills-choice-mcdermott/

And if Polian loves the hire, which he does, I'm willing to give McDermott the benefit of the doubt. Polian has forgotten more football than the OP ever knew.

The OP has 31 posts, safe to say he was Trolling.

I'm gonna go with the things that long-time, successful head coaches and other league personnel have said about the guy.

Cam Newton tore up the 2015 season, sure, but before Newton and with him, McDermott was fielding defenses finishing in the top ten in five or six seasons he was in Carolina.

I firmly believe some people aim to nitpick simply for the sake of it. Aside from those that have worked with him, no one knows how this guy is going to turn out as a HC.

.......agreed......give the guy a shot.....like his persona and no nonsense-all business approach.....sure as hell beats reading through recycle threads about Gruden, Cowher, Shahascam SR, Mooch, Billick, Gailey et al.......ad nauseam...

Let's just say I don't see Coach McDermott would be on the radar with Jimmy Clausen running the show in Carolina.

Let's just say I don't see your weird conclusions being on our radar without your parents having unprotected sex on a particular night (and maybe better judgement, but who am I to judge?)

Edited by JMora