Bandit's Annual Mock

thebandit27

After last season's injury fest with our high draft picks, I cannot see them taking Hooker. He had a torn labrum in his hip and a hernia that he needed surgery on, and while he might be healthy by camp, it is no sure thing. This team doesn't strike me as one that wants a guy who has a real injury record given Lawson's experience last year. And yeah, I know that Lawson had surgery after the draft.

That would be such a shortsighted outlook when you consider the value of taking a guy graded that high at 10.

Won't matter anyway since he'll be gone.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

I'm not big on trade-backs myself

You do love your TEs!

And to each his own, but in a year where the Bills really need depth and a year where the very depth they need is in the positions for which this Draft is strongest, it would seem to make the most sense. You can grab a good / great CB/Safety/WR in the 1st to 3rd round and a very capable RB / DL in the 5th or 4th and 5th if you trade back into the 4th...so, if you add picks in the 2nd or the 3rd or pick up an extra one in the 4th, I think you further insulate yourself from the injury issue that seems to plague the Bills every year....JMO

That would be such a shortsighted outlook when you consider the value of taking a guy graded that high at 10.

Won't matter anyway since he'll be gone.

It would definitely be short sighted. I'm just guessing that this might be shaping their thinking. People do tend to get gun-shy when they've had bad experiences with similar choices in the immediate past. I could of course be wrong!

I look forward to your mock every year. Definitely better than most of the "pros." But I disagree with your Bills selection. The Bills already have an elite receiver that they can't get their "money's worth" out of, and I think Whaley'd be gun shy going for another one when there are other positions of greater need. Same reason I think he wouldn't pick anything less than a consensus "can't miss" QB this year in the first round.

I would not pass on Lattimore if he's available at 10. He's perfect for McDermott's defense.

I'm sure that Lattimore is an excellent prospect. However, it seems to me that players that have hamstring problems

always have them. I would prefer taking a front 7 guy like Reddick.

Thanks...we typically do agree on these things, so I feel better about it.

Thanks guys...lots of Lattimore fans on here I see. I have them passing simply because I think that they believe they can get a scheme fit on Day 2.

Sorry guys; just calling it like I see it. You know I'd prefer them to take a QB if they have a franchise grade on a guy...it's simply my opinion that they don't.

Thanks...what can I say? Whaley has been a draft-for-immediate-need type of guy.

Thanks gents.

Depth of the corner class was definitely a consideration.

I expect a huge run on corners at the onset of day 2. I think all of White, King, Wilson, and Jackson will be gone before the Bills pick at 44. If they want a R2 corner, it's probably going to have to be Awuzie or Moreau. If they wait until R3, then I expect a guy like Rasul Douglas, Nate Hairson, or Shaq Griffin (though I'd also endorse my boy Howard Wilson, even though I think scouts will have him as a Day 3 guy).

I really think this guy could be a stud in our system. He's got size, strength, speed, long arms, and can tackle. He's had a few issues in coverage, but nothing that can't be fixed. If we can get him in the third I'd be stoked! Would compete for the starting position in camp and may bump Seymour to the slot.

Thanks for the time and effort, Bandit.

Yours is one of the most well thought out, reasonable, logical mocks I've seen anywhere. Oftentimes, when you see a mock on a given team's forum, it doesn't give much thought to what other teams will do. You seem to have done that, though. For instance: Everyone knows the Giants want to trade up for an offensive tackle, and you have them doing just that. Good stuff.

As for the selection you have Buffalo making...may I ask what leads you to believe that the Bills are more likely to select a WR than a defensive player? I'm just curious what your thought process was there.

I look forward to your mock every year. Definitely better than most of the "pros." But I disagree with your Bills selection. The Bills already have an elite receiver that they can't get their "money's worth" out of, and I think Whaley'd be gun shy going for another one when there are other positions of greater need. Same reason I think he wouldn't pick anything less than a consensus "can't miss" QB this year in the first round.

That's due to last season where Sammy's health issues did not allow him to get on the field. The last half of 2015 Sammy and Tyrod were on of the top QB/WR duos. I guess I can see why so many are against getting a legit number two receiver but shouldn't be because we have Sammy. Corey is someone you can plug in right away, seeing as we lost Woods but I think Corey can be/will be better than Woods.

One thing that wasn't mentioned is that Corey Davis stayed in school because he knew the team was going to be good and wanted to win. Now that's the type of player I want on my team.

My realistic first round pick was Corey, now I'm boarding the Howard hype train but if Foster, Adams, or Hooker are there at 10 it would be so tough not to take them.

Edited by Captain Murica

Yours is one of the most well thought out, reasonable, logical mocks I've seen anywhere. Oftentimes, when you see a mock on a given team's forum, it doesn't give much thought to what other teams will do. You seem to have done that, though. For instance: Everyone knows the Giants want to trade up for an offensive tackle, and you have them doing just that. Good stuff.

As for the selection you have Buffalo making...may I ask what leads you to believe that the Bills are more likely to select a WR than a defensive player? I'm just curious what your thought process was there.

Myself personally, and its not that we don't need lots of help on both sides of the football,

surrounding Team Taylor with talent/ playmakers is a smart thing to do IMO.

I just hope one of them is O J Howard...

Appreciate the sentiment man.

I think it's a combination of things that makes Davis the pick at 10. I think, from the start, that he's an excellent value at 10 because he carries No.1 WR potential; a complete receiver. He's also a really high character kid.

I do think that it can be argued that LB is a greater need, but unless they've got a serious crush on Foster or Reddick, it would be difficult to advocate for Jarrad Davis at 10.

Appreciate the sentiment man.

I think it's a combination of things that makes Davis the pick at 10. I think, from the start, that he's an excellent value at 10 because he carries No.1 WR potential; a complete receiver. He's also a really high character kid.

I do think that it can be argued that LB is a greater need, but unless they've got a serious crush on Foster or Reddick, it would be difficult to advocate for Jarrad Davis at 10.

Agreed.

I also think that there is a bigger drop-off from the tier 1 WRs (Davis, Williams, Ross) to the tier 2 guys (Jones, Kupp, Smith-Schuster) than there is from the tier 1 LBs and CBs to the tier 2 LBs and CBs. Another way of saying that is that I think the depth is greater on the defensive side of the ball in this draft, and thus the Bills can land a quality LB, CB, and S in later rounds.

And last but not least, hopefully the Bills realize that Watkins' injury concerns the past two seasons mean that his health for a full 2017 season is not guaranteed and that, therefore, they should plan accordingly and add a top tier pass catcher. Davis is my top choice. I think he'll make an immediate impact and will blossom into a true #1 receiver. Also, with the large contract that will be necessary to keep Watkins a Bill past 2017, it just makes good sense to have cheap labor across from him for the next five years.

I'm convinced that the worst thing the Bills can do is take a WR in Round One. Considering the Sammy pick(s) this is just way too much invested in a single roster spot. Unlike offensive linemen, wide outs don't play as a unit. They compete with each other for a limited number of pass receptions. Every pass thrown to Sammy is going to be a pass NOT thrown to Corey Davis and vice versa.

Just say no! Look for a wide out in Round 2 or 3.

I'm convinced that the worst thing the Bills can do is take a WR in Round One. Considering the Sammy pick(s) this is just way too much invested in a single roster spot. Unlike offensive linemen, wide outs don't play as a unit. They compete with each other for a limited number of pass receptions. Every pass thrown to Sammy is going to be a pass NOT thrown to Corey Davis and vice versa.

Just say no! Look for a wide out in Round 2 or 3.

Not sure I understand the point here: it's a mistake to take a WR in round 1 for the reasons you state, but it's fine in round 2? I thought the point was to get better on the field, and improving upon a passing game that has ranked dead last in the NFL for 2 consecutive years seems like a good idea to me.

I really hate that OJ Howard goes to the jets in your mock.... :(

but....I do like Corey Davis a lot... :)

Me, too. I am hoping beyond hope that Hooker or Howard will fall, but I strongly doubt that happens. Assuming he is passionate about it and has football character, Howard is a can't miss prospect. He will be creating matchup nightmares for a long time.

Me, too. I am hoping beyond hope that Hooker or Howard will fall, but I strongly doubt that happens. Assuming he is passionate about it and has football character, Howard is a can't miss prospect. He will be creating matchup nightmares for a long time.

And we thought it was bad having Gronk in the division for 10+ years...we better hope that the Jets never find a QB

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.