Pegula shows Tim Murray and Dan Bylsma the door.

I agree...they're obviously not getting it right, but I don't think anyone can argue they aren't proactively trying to get championships to Buffalo. They also aren't panicking at first sight, see Cleveland, Browns....they are trying to give the people they empower to do their jobs, spending money in FA and various departments. I am coming around to the idea that in both franchises they need someone between themselves and the executives of those franchises though - the dreaded "Czar" title / position that has frequently been suggested. I am now convinced they need this person on both teams....

They hire and fire coaches every 2 years....how is that not panicking?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BINGO!

How Russ Brandon is STILL involved with these two franchises is the 8th Wonder Of the World.

Not that we need to get into it for the 8,000,000th time but his job isn't dependent on team record. He is in charge of revenue. He runs the business end which is comprised of ticket sales, sponsorship, broadcasting, community relations and stadium operations (think that is everything there). If those areas are functioning well he is succeeding at his job. They have done well in those areas. If the team goes 16-0 but revenues start to fall he will be in jeopardy of losing his job. It's important that we understand what people do.

In terms of Murray and Bylsma they didn't do a good job. Murray had a lot of assets and it hasn't turned into results. Bylsma was a mistake from the beginning. His relationship with Eichel ensured that he would be gone.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I think it was Gunner who mentioned back in January that Whaley could be let go after the draft. At that time, I thought it could happen, and still do. For a GM/scout, thats when their 'offseason' starts. Whaley certainly hasnt done anything since the end of the season to help his cause, and hasnt done too much to hurt it, aside from the low tender on MG.

The next couple weeks should be interesting.

Between my home town teams and my baseball team, the Braves, I'm in a dark place as a sports fan...

I never thought I'd say this, but luckily I'm a long time KC Royals fan. Got a bit of joy from baseball the last few seasons.

On topic, what a mess. OneFlubbalo.

The Pegulas are all in on their people..... until they are not. They need to stop acting like emotional fans and start taking hard headed business decisions. I hope rational thought was behind the McD hire and not just "hey he used to be a wrestler..... that's kinda cool".

I remember when they bought the Bills/Sabres thinking , what if these were the idiot fans I sat near all those years and they just happened to become billionaires and own the team. Lot of stupid fans out there that always want to fire someone but have no idea how to run a successful franchise.

The Pegulas are all in on their people..... until they are not. They need to stop acting like emotional fans and start taking hard headed business decisions. I hope rational thought was behind the McD hire and not just "hey he used to be a wrestler..... that's kinda cool".

Yeah, a scary thought.

Murray and Blysma deserved this. Sabres should have made the playoffs with the talent they had. Toronto's revamped management team is 3 years ahead of their rebuild plan. Why not bring Bowman back as a consultant, and let him find a new GM? Maybe he can find success second time around.

Maybe the plan is to let the GMs of both teams hire the coaches.We'll see how that goes for the Bills. If Whaley fails this year he's as good as gone.Only makes sense for the Sabres. Maybe the new one will be able to balance the team out and give the coach something he can actually work with. I mean how long are you going to leave the young guys in the AHL or Juniors before you bring them up and let them play. They have too many players on the downside of their careers for my taste.

Murray was hired just before the 2014 draft and it sucked as he didn't have people in place. Expect another crap 2017 draft from the Sabres.

I hear you and that was one of my first thoughts as well - I wonder what this does for the draft.

But when you look back at that 2014 draft, it was as weak as everyone said it was leading up to the draft.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NHL_Entry_Draft

It's not like Murray really missed out on some great players or something. I guess you can debate if he picked the right guy at #2, but that's still TBD anyway.