Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting because, with Hogan, they announced it immediately

im assuming that with it being draft week, and also a situation where its plausible we might match, they are just doing it to mess with them (with either outcome)

Fwiw, it's common practice to wait to the last minute on a RFA situation. If I understand it correctly it ties up the offering team's cap space until a decision is made. Obviously, it isn't a huge deal in this situation but there is no reason to do it sooner. You see it A LOT in the NBA in the summer with restricted free agents. I'm pretty sure that the NFL works the same way.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Take it for what it's worth but my sources are close to the situation and they assured me we should be hearing something soon.

Just a gut feeling here, but I might be now leaning towards the possibility that we can maybe expect to hear something in the next 20 minutes...or not.

So you turn him into a valuable role player FOR SOMEONE ELSE. Savvy?

Well... you literally signed him after he was dropped from a practice squad. You got a season's worth of production out of him, and now you'll get a pick for him in the year that he walks - not waiting on a comp pick. And you aren't overpaying him.

I like the guy, and understand why we match if we do. But to say that we HAVE to match is a bit short-sighted.

He went from unable to make the 53, to finally getting activated when we had injuries, to replacing karlos after he got fat, to a 5th round pick in return. There are greater tragedies than losing this guy.

Edited by dneveu