NFL Draft outside this year(Philly)

The entire NFL draft is being held outside this year in Philly(I am sure the stage & team areas will be covered but open to the fan viewing area). What are they thinking? What if a cold front blows through, and temps are in the 40's with 30MPH winds?

From a fan perspective, why not just move the draft around each year, to a dome stadium or a warm weather open stadium, and be done with it. This way, all the fans who want to attend, get their wish, no crappy weather & seating for all.

Very likely will be at Dallas training facility next year

I think Chicago had a big portion of it outside last year but not sure

Chicago appeared to be 50/50 or 60/40 covered to not.

Honestly I wish they just kept it in NYC, but I realize that probably comes off as a get off my lawn statement.

Honestly I wish they just kept it in NYC, but I realize that probably comes off as a get off my lawn statement.

Me too. Radio City Music Hall was a tradition. It just seemed right. There is no need to move it around. Obviously the goal is too increase revenue, but it just seems like a hassle. It certainly isn't for the fans as the league would probably claim. I'd believe that when cities like Buffalo,Cleveland,and Pittsburgh host the draft.

Agreed--that let's-have-Goodell-walk-a-mile-and-a-half-to-announce-each-pick stuff is ridiculous.

Honestly, I don't like that they've started all of the screen-printing of jerseys, on-stage interviews, having the kid's whole family on the stage, etc. It slows everything down, and there are times that the announcements are 2+ picks behind and teams' fans already know the pick based on the team's official twitter account by that point.

The entire NFL draft is being held outside this year in Philly(I am sure the stage & team areas will be covered but open to the fan viewing area). What are they thinking? What if a cold front blows through, and temps are in the 40's with 30MPH winds?

From a fan perspective, why not just move the draft around each year, to a dome stadium or a warm weather open stadium, and be done with it. This way, all the fans who want to attend, get their wish, no crappy weather & seating for all.

I'm sure going to find out what that will be like. Last year Day 3 in Chicago was held outside and it was raining heavily. There was some leaking in the make shift auditorium, but nothing serious.

I don't know why they couldn't have the draft indoors. There must have been somewhere in Philadelphia they could have found to have it in. This is all because they want to have it close by to their NFL Fair, which is where all of the fans will be.

Agreed--that let's-have-Goodell-walk-a-mile-and-a-half-to-announce-each-pick stuff is ridiculous.

Honestly, I don't like that they've started all of the screen-printing of jerseys, on-stage interviews, having the kid's whole family on the stage, etc. It slows everything down, and there are times that the announcements are 2+ picks behind and teams' fans already know the pick based on the team's official twitter account by that point.

It's not NBA Draft bad. If you are following Woj on Twitter (he has me blocked) you often know 6 or 7 picks ahead of what's been announced.

Very likely will be at Dallas training facility next year

I think Chicago had a big portion of it outside last year but not sure

Early rumors are out saying that the draft will be in Dallas next year.

That's fine, but if they are having it at the training facility, then it will be in Frisco, and that could be a problem.

Frisco is 30 miles away from Dallas. Are people, especially the casual draft fans, going to want to commute back-and-forth for 3 days from Dallas to Frisco and back?

Honest question - for those that attend the draft, what makes that an event that you spend money and time on? Do you attend the entire draft or just the first round? Are there planned events, etc. that tv viewers don't see?

Me too. Radio City Music Hall was a tradition. It just seemed right. There is no need to move it around. Obviously the goal is too increase revenue, but it just seems like a hassle. It certainly isn't for the fans as the league would probably claim. I'd believe that when cities like Buffalo,Cleveland,and Pittsburgh host the draft.

Yeah they shouldve stayed at Radio City in NY I miss going to the draft.

Yes it was fun going to New York City every year.

Personally, I enjoyed it much more when they had it at the Theatre in Madison Square Garden.

There was much more fan interaction because it was all on the same floor and not broken up by a few balconies.

Yes that gets very annoying.

It's even worse on Day 2 because that's when all of the former players make the announcements during Round 2.

I like seeing the players there, but they delay so many picks because they want to get it all on television and Goodell has to introduce every player. :wallbash:

It's not NBA Draft bad. If you are following Woj on Twitter (he has me blocked) you often know 6 or 7 picks ahead of what's been announced.

You got blocked by Woj??? WoJ bomb!!!

And I hate, hate, hate everything about the new draft format. I used to go on road trips to visit with My Bills fan friends all over the country and make an awesome weekend out it. Pretty pointless to do so now.

Just like with everything he touches, Goodell ruined it.

There is just as much of a chance of a warm front from the south and it will be in the 80s. Going to be low 80s here Tuesday

It is good to allow fans from other states that wouldn't fly or drive far to experience it.

Promotion at its finest

Edited by Beef Jerky

why does he have you blocked :lol:

Ha ha, I was trolling him once and he has a quick trigger!! I have an alternate account that I use for no other reason than to stay ahead of breaking news during the draft, FA and the trade deadline.

You got blocked by Woj??? WoJ bomb!!!

And I hate, hate, hate everything about the new draft format. I used to go on road trips to visit with My Bills fan friends all over the country and make an awesome weekend out it. Pretty pointless to do so now.

Just like with everything he touches, Goodell ruined it.

1,000% agree

That Saturday was one of the great days in all of sports.

It is good to allow fans from other states that wouldn't fly or drive far to experience it.

Promotion at its finest

Yeah, but I think a lot of people who have never been to the draft are expecting far more than what they're getting.

Granted the NFL Fair or Exhibit that they set up in Chicago was a lot of fun to see.

Yet when it comes to the actual draft, the fans seem puzzled by it all, and have an expression on their face as if they were saying, "This is it?". Then they all go back to the NFL Fair.

The draft isn't for everybody, and it's not that much different than watching it on television. You just have the rowdiness of the crowd to be a part of it. You're watching a person walk up to a podium to read a players name off of a card. THAT'S IT!

Honest question - for those that attend the draft, what makes that an event that you spend money and time on? Do you attend the entire draft or just the first round? Are there planned events, etc. that tv viewers don't see?

I love the draft. To me, it's the first day of the season.

What i love most about it is that everybody who attends the draft has only one thing on their mind: Football.

I love getting to talk football with all of the fans, and over the years since I've been going to the draft, I have made a lot of friends. That's the draw for me.

As for how much money I spend on flights and hotels, it's just like taking a vacation.

As I've said before, the draft isn't for everybody. It really is no different than watching it on television. You just are there where it's happening, and you get the fun of the banter between all of the fans.

I attend the entire draft. From the 1st overall pick to Mr. Irrelevant. There are no other events going on that you don't see on television.

Now that they have added the NFL Experience in such a grand way with the big Fair atmosphere, it has certainly changed the experience of attending.

The good thing is that it's all free, including tickets for the actual draft.

So if you really love football, pro & college, and want to be around lots of fans from all the teams and hoping that the player you want gets picked by your team, then you'll enjoy the draft.

I love the draft. To me, it's the first day of the season.

What i love most about it is that everybody who attends the draft has only one thing on their mind: Football.

I love getting to talk football with all of the fans, and over the years since I've been going to the draft, I have made a lot of friends. That's the draw for me.

As for how much money I spend on flights and hotels, it's just like taking a vacation.

As I've said before, the draft isn't for everybody. It really is no different than watching it on television. You just are there where it's happening, and you get the fun of the banter between all of the fans.

I attend the entire draft. From the 1st overall pick to Mr. Irrelevant. There are no other events going on that you don't see on television.

Now that they have added the NFL Experience in such a grand way with the big Fair atmosphere, it has certainly changed the experience of attending.

The good thing is that it's all free, including tickets for the actual draft.

So if you really love football, pro & college, and want to be around lots of fans from all the teams and hoping that the player you want gets picked by your team, then you'll enjoy the draft.

And you ran into Urban in Chicago last year and met a bunch of Buckeye fans which was the highlight of your life, right :lol: Edited by YoloinOhio

meant to ask you about Darboh... I think he's any underrated prospect at WR. Wouldn't mind picking him up in the draft if possible

He's interesting.

Blue collar player that is unspectacular, but a very reliable possession WR.

He's under the radar in the draft, as a lot of other WR's are getting far more attention.

Seems like an ideal pick in the 3rd round. If he lasts longer than that, you are looking at a potential steal. If the Bills decide to wait on drafting a WR, he would be a good find.