So who's going to be the #2 QB?

Rubes

The trouble with that philosophy is that the season is basically over if the starter gets injured... IMHO.

Not necessarily. Sometimes rookie backups who get an opportunity because of an injury far surpass expectations. Dak is only the most recent example. Do you think the season wouldn't be over if TT went down in week three and the Bills rolled with Brian Hoyer or Matt McGloin for the rest of the year?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily. Sometimes rookie backups who get an opportunity because of an injury far surpass expectations. Dak is only the most recent example. Do you think the season wouldn't be over if TT went down in week three and the Bills rolled with Brian Hoyer or Matt McGloin for the rest of the year?

What would be other recent examples besides Dak?

What would be other recent examples besides Dak?

Well, I suppose we could go all the way back to Kurt Warner and Tom Brady (I know, Brady wasn't a rookie when Mo Lewis took out Bledsoe), but a more recent example would be Kurt Cousins, who played really well when RGIII was injured in his rookie year. In fact, I think the reason RGIII rushed back was because Cousins played so well after he went down. At any rate, plenty of rookie QBs have played well out of the chute, although not necessarily after an injury to the starter.

Worse things could happen

Fitzy is a pretty good backup qb

If Fitz would accept the backup role he would make a good mentor for T T and C J in my humble opinion.

Fitzpatrick might also make good coaching material one day,

if the old bearded one put his mind to it...

Edited by Figster

Hoyer's career record as a starter is only 1 game worse than Tyrod and many of his starts were for sucky Browns and Bears teams. The season he started on a good team he went to the playoffs but faceplanted in the wildcard round. He isn't an option anyway cos he has gone to San Fran but Brian Hoyer is not a season over type backup.

Edited by GunnerBill

I think Tyrod and Cardale are going to be the only 2 QBs on the roster. I expect camp will have a couple of undrafted guys or maybe a journeyman vet, but the Panthers "#3" QB has been Joe Webb the last few years, a guy who plays on special teams and has played WR in a pinch, aka a profile similar to Logan Thomas. Unless Thomas really breaks out as a regular TE, I imagine his spot on the roster will be made by having a role similar to Webb's (especially seeing how the team has valued versatility since McD came aboard).

Those that are projecting Cardale as the #2 are overlooking the fact that we have a new OC with a new offense. If we had the same coaching staff and offense as last year, I think Cardale could be the #2. Given how green he is, however, I don't think we can realistically expect him to pick up a new NFL offensive scheme quickly enough to be effective for us this year. I think we will pick up a veteran backup who has either played in a Dennison type of offense of who is capable of learning it in one offseason. I don't believe we'll be bringing Fitz back to Buffalo. I love the guy, but given the way he left the franchise, I just don't see the two parties reuniting. While I have not studied who is available, I have seen Chase Daniel mentioned in other posts and I believe a guy like that would be the right type of fit, or perhaps one of the McCown brothers, if one is available. Shaun Hill, anyone? Given that we re-signed Tyrod, I don't think we plan on drafting a QB at 10. I'm OK with that if our scouts don't feel that there is QB talent that has a higher ceiling than Taylor that is available at 10. I'm fine with drafting a QB in the 2nd round or later to compete with Cardale for his roster spot and ultimately groom for a future starting role. It's possible that the coaching staff feels that Cardale has enough talent to develop as a future starter and may elect to forego drafting a QB altogether.

Another thought is...if TT goes down and we have CJ as the #2, we get to see if we can sink or swim with him as the QB. If we swim, then we have him as the future starter. If we sink, then we're in better position to draft a top QB in 2018.

Not the way I'd do it, but it's possible...

Is Josh Woodrum just a camp arm? For athleticism he was one of best QBs on Broad Jump and 3 cone drill. He has a strong arm and physical presence & lots of experience as college QB but I do not watch college football so no idea if he is a QB who needs more professional coaching to succeed or not. He has been described as "efficient passer" but that could just me he does not take risky throws like TT. Anyone watch him in college?

It is looking like no QB will go in the top 10. Which sucks in that the best talent will be off the board. Best hope is to trade down and take a QB late in the first and then go WR and defense the rest of the way. If no trade down options then take Howard, Davis, or Williams at 10 and hope Mahomes falls to them in the second.

My guess is either way the back-up QB will be drafted in the first or second round.

Of course the best scenario is I am totally wrong about Cardale and he makes a huge leap and pushes TT for the starting job. I think it is more likely he doesn't even make the team than he beats out TT to start.

Another thought is...if TT goes down and we have CJ as the #2, we get to see if we can sink or swim with him as the QB. If we swim, then we have him as the future starter. If we sink, then we're in better position to draft a top QB in 2018.

Not the way I'd do it, but it's possible...

I'd want a #2 with some exeperience, but I can see that scenario as possible. I guess it depends on what their internal feelings are on Cardale already, as there's not much to go on and we need to make decisions before we have a chance to see him play some more.

IMO - C. Jones as #2

I'm good with letting the bills management do their jobs whether a vet or rookie, they will do what they think is right.

Please let's not start the cycle again with Fitz.

post-27183-0-61963700-1491091139_thumb.jpg