Whaley has done one heck of a job, except QB

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug is that you? Didnt know you had a house in dallas. This is totally speculative garbage with no basis at all for saying it.

Didn't you know? (Insert gm or coach here) is that you? was retired from the Internet, along with starting any sentence with either "um" or a sarcastic "but...but...I thought".

Russ Brandon has been running the show since Ralph stepped aside. Pretty much since Donahoe left. Brandon is more responsible than anyone for the drought. He is a piece of **** and if I see him in public, I'll punch him in the face.

Ohhhh - TUFF GUY - what a joke.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Ohhhh - TUFF GUY - what a joke.

Believe me, I could beat the piss out of Russ Brandon but I would never seriously punch anyone unless I was defending myself or others. But I don't take message boards as seriously as others. Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

Geez guys. Whaley had put talent on team. That's the point. He is definitely better in FA than draft. He hasn't hit on coach or QB yet and needs to soon to keep job. That's all.

The point is to build a winning team and he has failed. For a guy who earned his stripes scouting he seems to be pretty poor at building through the draft.

Apparently the criteria for claiming a GM has done a heck of job is that he put 'talent' on the team, lol

I guess winning and making the playoffs is irrelevant

Look I have no issue giving DW credit for a number off great individual moves

However the addition of all the moves as a measure of success has been a minimum 4 years+ of failure

We will see what happens in 2017

But if folks here can't say with certainty that we will win 10 games plus this year

You wil understand when I say all of DW's transactions this year will not have amounted to much except more failure

jc

saying whaley sucks in a vacuum is easy , when you compare him to the other General Managers you will see he doesn't suck. He is solid

Apparently the criteria for claiming a GM has done a heck of job is that he put 'talent' on the team, lol

I guess winning and making the playoffs is irrelevant

Look I have no issue giving DW credit for a number off great individual moves

However the addition of all the moves as a measure of success has been a minimum 4 years+ of failure

We will see what happens in 2017

But if folks here can't say with certainty that we will win 10 games plus this year

You wil understand when I say all of DW's transactions this year will not have amounted to much except more failure

jc

It's all about the qb. Whaley has put good rosters together. He hasn't lucked into a qb as of yet.

Sorry, I disagree Baskin

A GM who pits together a 'good' roster should be able to at least had 'a' successful season, and overcome the odds, despite the QB

The results on the field suggest the roster wasn't as good as you thought

Look there's a whole body of work here over the last 4 years and no question the talent on the field has immensely improved

DW deserves credit for making some nifty trades, bringing some nice FA's, etc

However DW keeps making huge mistakes when it comes to leaving our team shorthanded in both WR and QB depth

And his drafts have been mediocre

He gives up too many draft picks instead of acquiring more

He does not plan properly with regard to acquiring more comp picks

But at the end of the day, the accolades and or criticisms of his work, we don't have successful winning seasons

Until we do DW's work does not achieve a passing grade

jc

Exhibit 1: Last year the Bills used THREE draft picks on an inside linebacker who had questions about whether he could play all 3 downs. Do you call that building through the draft or trying to win now for Rex's crap defense?

This comment made me hate Rex even more

If Whaley is such a bad GM, then why haven't the Bills been at the bottom of the league in the last three seasons?

Because he's been riding Nix's stars to mediocre seasons.

Gilmore, Dareus, Hughes, Mario, Bradham, Searcy, Byrd, Wood, Glenn, Aaron Williams.

Now that we've lost all but 4 of those guys, we're dropping.

Edited by FireChan

Sorry, I disagree Baskin

A GM who pits together a 'good' roster should be able to at least had 'a' successful season, and overcome the odds, despite the QB

The results on the field suggest the roster wasn't as good as you thought

Look there's a whole body of work here over the last 4 years and no question the talent on the field has immensely improved

DW deserves credit for making some nifty trades, bringing some nice FA's, etc

However DW keeps making huge mistakes when it comes to leaving our team shorthanded in both WR and QB depth

And his drafts have been mediocre

He gives up too many draft picks instead of acquiring more

He does not plan properly with regard to acquiring more comp picks

But at the end of the day, the accolades and or criticisms of his work, we don't have successful winning seasons

Until we do DW's work does not achieve a passing grade

jc

the team is hovering around 500 that is what you get with poor qb play. I can admit now that Rex messed up the defense, which hurt the team this year. The qb play was not good but the defense was down right awful at times. The d played below it's talent level.

If Whaley is such a bad GM, then why haven't the Bills been at the bottom of the league in the last three seasons?

Is that now the standard? Not being in the bottom of the league for the past three years? If you don't want to call him bad that's fine because I don't consider him to be bad. But I'm not going to put him in the category of being good. Mediocre is a fair categorizing of him.

Whaley's drafts have been below average. His propensity to gratuitously give up picks on draft day maneuvers has not only not paid off but has hurt in adding more talent to the roster.

Whaley has been given credit for bringing in good mid-level free agents at reasonable prices. He deserves credit in that area. But make no mistake about evaluating pro players---it is much easier to evaluate players who are already in the league. You already know what they can do. The bigger challenge is evaluating college players and determining if they can be good pros. In that area his performance is below average in my estimation.

Where I give Whaley an unadulterated F grade is in his ability to find a franchise qb from the draft. He has passed on many quality prospects. Where he has really failed in that endeavor is his lack of initiative and passivity in trying to address that position. For me that is inexcusable bordering on malfeasance.

I was once a strong supporter of Whaley. No longer. Until he addresses the qb issue, most likely through the draft, he is a failure. This team regardless how the roster is bolstered will not succeed until he secures a capable qb.

If you want to lower the standards to accommodate your lenient grading curve that is your business. I'm not going to be involved in such pitiful grading shenanigans. Mediocrity may be your preferred standard but it is not mine. No more excuses.

I disagree Baskin, look if it took you 2 years to realize Rex messed up the D (lets be honest 75% of the folks on message boards loved the Rex signing and drank the koolaid) you should consider that you also have it wrong on DW

I'm also not saying he's horrible GM, he's not, he's pedestrian, and I was also once a big supporter of DW, I still would like him to succeed, but clearly his moves have not resulted in any successful season to date, the lack of winning has shown DW to be a middling mediocre GM, and I can say with almost certainty by the moves he's made this off season I don't think he's assembled a successful team in 2017 that can win 10 games, sure I'd love to be be proved wrong, but I don;t think I will be, sorry

jc

Is that now the standard? Not being in the bottom of the league for the past three years? If you don't want to call him bad that's fine because I don't consider him to be bad. But I'm not going to put him in the category of being good. Mediocre is a fair categorizing of him.

Whaley's drafts have been below average. His propensity to gratuitously give up picks on draft day maneuvers has not only not paid off but has hurt in adding more talent to the roster.

Whaley has been given credit for bringing in good mid-level free agents at reasonable prices. He deserves credit in that area. But make no mistake about evaluating pro players---it is much easier to evaluate players who are already in the league. You already know what they can do. The bigger challenge is evaluating college players and determining if they can be good pros. In that area his performance is below average in my estimation.

Where I give Whaley an unadulterated F grade is in his ability to find a franchise qb from the draft. He has passed on many quality prospects. Where he has really failed in that endeavor is his lack of initiative and passivity in trying to address that position. For me that is inexcusable bordering on malfeasance.

I was once a strong supporter of Whaley. No longer. Until he addresses the qb issue, most likely through the draft, he is a failure. This team regardless how the roster is bolstered will not succeed until he secures a capable qb.

If you want to lower the standards to accommodate your lenient grading curve that is your business. I'm not going to be involved in such pitiful grading shenanigans. Mediocrity may be your preferred standard but it is not mine. No more excuses.

I was addressing those who say he's among the worst and of course we all want better results than the mediocrity we have seen since he became the GM.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

We got Jeremy Butler, Philly Brown, and Andre Holmes for the same price the niners got Goodwin for.

FIRE WHALEY!!!!! Meanwhile teams like the Ravens are still looking for a #1 WR for Flacco before he retires and they become a tire fire. Who do they have in their WR core? Injury prone bust Perriman, old man Wallace and ???

Once again, we don't know what we have until we take a peak over the fence guys. The biggest knock on our GM is finding a franchise QB. The same thing 20+ other franchises are also struggling with when 50% of those that are in a good spot either got super lucky and the other 50% selected 1st overall.

We haven't selected first overall and have yet to get lucky.

Edited by Elite Poster

We got Jeremy Butler, Philly Brown, and Andre Holmes for the same price the niners got Goodwin for.

FIRE WHALEY!!!!! Meanwhile teams like the Ravens are still looking for a #1 WR for Flacco before he retires and they become a tire fire. Who do they have in their WR core? Injury prone bust Perriman, old man Wallace and ???

Once again, we don't know what we have until we take a peak over the fence guys. The biggest knock on our GM is finding a franchise QB. The same thing 20+ other franchises are also struggling with when 50% of those that are in a good spot either got super lucky and the other 50% selected 1st overall.

I like how you are dissing the Ravens to try and prop up Whaley and the Bills. Since the Bills playoff drought the Ravens have 9 double digit win seasons, 10 playoff appearances, and 2 Super Bowl rings...But yeah, what a bunch of dumbasses that can't find a #1 WR.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Just saying it's all the QB sure is an easy way to dismiss any criticism that can be put on Whaley. His record is what it is, but we could miss the playoffs for the next 10 years and the homers on this board would still be saying how much talent there is on the roster outside the QB position.

Just saying it's all the QB sure is an easy way to dismiss any criticism that can be put on Whaley. His record is what it is, but we could miss the playoffs for the next 10 years and the homers on this board would still be saying how much talent there is on the roster outside the QB position.

I concur 100%, like every other NFL GM, regardless of our QB situation, its DW's job to assemble a team, each and every year, than can, at minimum, win 10 games plus - If he achieves it, then in comparison to all the other GM's, he succeeded, if he does not, he failed

So, for all the message board koolaid homers, who insist with vigour every single off-season that our moves are brilliant, and that all the previous drafts by DW were brilliant, and or all the FA's pickups are brilliant, and or the trades are brilliant, the totality of all these combined moves, has not amounted to anything successful, its a fact

Hey maybe 2017 will be different, perhaps all the FA's we allowed to leave, and all dumpster dive depth we signed results in a talent upgrade, and we go out and win 10-11 games, I will be the first person to say, wow DW did a heck of a job this off season, but if we don't, and its more than likely we do not have a successful season in 2017, and we only win 6-8 games this year, then I can say with certainty, he did not make the right moves this off season, not even close, sorry but the plain ole truth....

jc

Whaley is good at finding bargain basement vets, he is not particularly skilled at trades or the draft.

Hughes and Shady were both good trades. I just don't like how Whaley handles draft assets. I think he's solid in player for player trades, but he very much mishandles trades involving picks imo.

On paper these last few years, we may have had the most talent on this roster since the Super Bowl teams. Unfortunately we don't have number 12 behind center.

It always comes down to QB. I would draft one this year in first 3 rounds just to have another option if Tyrod doesn't finally step up.

However you are only as good as your QB in this league and if things continue not to workout at that position. Whaley has to go.

with 10 pages i'm sure its been covered but.........

ROFLMAO

the guy might not even be employed by training camp but hes done a good job, lol

So there are 6-7 other GMs that are as equally inept as Doug Whaley when it comes to drafting?

What it says is people shouldn't blame DW alone. Yes the QB market sucks and Doug has failed to win the lottery.

To ignore what good he's done is disingenuous IMO

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

FWIW, I heard that there are about 6 or 7 teams that no longer have any 2013 draft picks left.

All I am saying is that the Bills are not alone.

They are alone in having 18 consecutive years of not making the playoffs. An ignominious accomplishment. That's embarrassing! Not being aggressive in his pursuit of a franchise qb is DW's biggest failure. If it is true that Whaley has lost some influence to the HC within the organization it is due to the fact that he hasn't done an admirable job. His record is his record----mediocrity is mediocrity.

The point that a number of teams don't have formerly drafted players on their roster tells you little. Many of the players who moved on are on other teams. Player movement is just part of the landscape of the NFL of today.

What it says is people shouldn't blame DW alone. Yes the QB market sucks and Doug has failed to win the lottery.

To ignore what good he's done is disingenuous IMO

Correct lets ignore what he has done:

Hes been the GM for how long now 4-5 yrs.

No playoffs.

Hasnt gotten along with any coaching staff.

Tried to force feed an epic first round bust qb on each of the staffs.

Spent against the cap and still cant field a team capable of playoffs.

Wasting draft picks with no roi.

Tell me when to stop..