1st round pick want/don't want/surprise/think

Trubisky is the most pro-ready QB due to the system he played in. Mahomes has the arm & higher ceiling which also comes along with higher risk. IMHO Mahomes is worth it.

Go Bills!!!!!

Mahomes isn't worth the risk at pick 10, maybe with our 2nd rounder but to me the best low cost risk is Nathan Peterman in Round 3 as he fits the typical WCO type QB. Not a great arm but is athletic enough and knows how to scan the field and throw receivers open. He might not play as a rookie but think worth investing time in.

Edited by The Jokeman

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted this before but will do so again.

Derek Carr Scouting Report:

Arm strength and accuracy

Carr has the best arm talent of any quarterback in this 2014 NFL Draft. That may seem like a strong statement, but he proved it time and time again throughout the last two seasons. Even when his mechanics fail him, Carr can put the ball in any spot on the field with velocity, timing and accuracy. Additionally, Carr has exceptional touch and accuracy on his deep passes.

Comparing Carr to Matthew Stafford or Jay Cutler is not a stretch in this department. Regardless of his arm slot, footwork or the spot on the field he's throwing to, Carr can put the appropriate velocity on the ball. He's also an accurate passer in most areas of the field. Think about the throws that are important for an NFL quarterback to make: vertical routes, throws to the sidelines and throws into tight windows.

There are times when Carr's accuracy fails him, but we'll touch on that later.

Fresno State's offense called for vertical passes and screens. There wasn't a ton of in-between. Carr also spent most of the time lined up in the shotgun formation. Reading defenses while dropping back is a bit of a different process. That learning curve shouldn't be steep for Carr, though, based on the habits he's shown in college.

Unfortunately, it's tough to get enough of a feel for how Carr reads defenses because of his offense. He was asked to make relatively simple reads that won't necessarily translate to the NFL.

Mechanics

And here's where we start getting into some of the negatives to Carr's game. His mechanics, particularly in his lower body, are inconsistent at best. He often throws off of his back foot and doesn't transfer his weight properly when throwing the ball. He also lets his throwing mechanics be affected by pressure in the pocket, whether it's rushing his throw and not paying attention to his arm slot or not taking the time to focus on proper lower body mechanics.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2014/4/14/5614326/derek-carr-2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report

Sounds like someone in the 2017 draft..

Good thread idea.

Want: Jamal Adams/Corey Davis

Don't want: Jabrill Peppers

Dark horse: Quincy Wilson

Think: Jabrill Peppers

My super secret prediction: The Bills are working a scheme to get Reuben Foster to fall into the second round, similar to the way they got Cordy Glenn to fall into the second round when he had first round grades.

Think: any cb or rb if whaley is still in charge

Whaley has only made 2 first round picks.... one was a Wide Receiver (counts double) and one was a Defensive End. Not sure where the thought that he might draft a running back in the 1st comes from.

Want: DeShaun Watson

Dark Horse: Mahomes/J.Peppers

Think: Watson

With the exception of EJ, the Bills (whaley) have drafted talented players in the 1st round over the last 5-6 years. I expect they'll do the same here with a talented, high character guy who the Bills can build the team around long term. Round 2 might be a talented guy that maybe was a little less productive and not quite as much a character guy.

Regardless of the pick(s) I think we all can agree we need to get production out of the 2017 rookie class. The 2016 rookie class contributed next to nothing last season. I know injuries played a part but the fact is measuring the rookies on 1 year they were a bust-I know you don't measure only 1 year--

rookies have to play/contribute in todays NFL