Who was the worst 1st Round Pick the Bills ever made?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A strong case could be made for Williams over Maybin based on the definition of the word "bust". Everyone viewed Mike Williams as a future all pro type guy who would be a soild player for many years. Williams was supposed to be great. He turned out to be the exact opposite. On the other hand Aaron Maybin was not viewed as a can't miss prospect by the majority of other teams. He was another guy who we reached for. Drafting Maybin was a mistake at the time, drafting Williams was only a mistake in hindsight. Based on this criteria Williams was the bigger bust. Based solely on production Maybin would be the biggest bust.

I agree. There's different ways to look at the question. Biggest bust? Williams. He's a guy that was supposed to be great, but never amounted to anything in the NFL. Then there are WTF?!?! moments. Maybin. That was just a stupid pick. Also Whitner deserves an honorable mention if we are talking about reaches. I can blast the Bills for the last two, but they just got unlucky with Williams. That at least made sense when it happened.

I agree. There's different ways to look at the question. Biggest bust? Williams. He's a guy that was supposed to be great, but never amounted to anything in the NFL. Then there are WTF?!?! moments. Maybin. That was just a stupid pick. Also Whitner deserves an honorable mention if we are talking about reaches. I can blast the Bills for the last two, but they just got unlucky with Williams. That at least made sense when it happened.

I think Whitner was less of a bust. Bad pick and a reach at that point of the draft, sure, but Whitner was a decent player he was just no more than that. I put him in the same bracket I put Spiller.

Maybin was a huge reach and a total non-contributor once he arrived and Williams was, as you say, a seemingly sensible pick that didn't work out and busted.

Aaron Maybin gets my vote.

I don't fault the Bills for picking Mike Williams however. I recall that both he and Bryant McKinnie were both considered can't miss offensive line prospects.

Actually only McKinnie was considered a can't miss........he'd been considered a possible #1 overall pick from the time the prior drafted ended.........but Donahoe got cute.

As a right tackle for a team that rarely passed the ball at Texas Mike Williams wasn't even on the radar to be picked that high until well into the postseason draft process.

That November Shout Magazine went to print with a big picture of McKinnie on the cover......I believe that was the only time they'd ever done anything like that IN SEASON........the media was all penning him in as THE pick........Donahoe was very offended that people were making the pick for him........and then he subsequently f*cked it up by NOT picking the long time quality NFL LT McKinnie.

People on this thread need to appreciate that JP Losman had a far better Bills career than EJ Manuel and was a much better player.

JP had elite arm talent and impressive acceleration on scrambles. He threw for over 3,000 yards in an NFL season and authored an impressive comeback in Houston.

No doubt JP sucked due to intermediate accuracy issues and turnovers, but at #22 overall, he was a much better pick than EJ at #16.

People on this thread need to appreciate that JP Losman had a far better Bills career than EJ Manuel and was a much better player.

JP had elite arm talent and impressive acceleration on scrambles. He threw for over 3,000 yards in an NFL season and authored an impressive comeback in Houston.

No doubt JP sucked due to intermediate accuracy issues and turnovers, but at #22 overall, he was a much better pick than EJ at #16.

I put EJ and JP in the same basket, a lot of horror show and a bit of goodness out there to cling to.

Understandable as an answer, and the sun is setting quick on him, but he's not even top 10 worst.

Not at all understandable. There is no question that Sammy is a premier NFL talent. He has actually produced. He's a starter on any team in the league. His first two seasons blow away the combined impact of Maybin, Flowers, and McCargo.

Not at all understandable. There is no question that Sammy is a premier NFL talent. He has actually produced. He's a starter on any team in the league. His first two seasons blow away the combined impact of Maybin, Flowers, and McCargo.

He played under the worst coach in team history, and in an offense that doesn't feature the pass. He's an effective blocker and an explosive threat. Far from a bust

Sorta being sarcastic in my prior reply, in good nature stating I could understand...

He's peeing away a ton of potential even as I type this, hope he can turn it around immediately.