Chad Kelly: drafted by Denver

HOUSE

He'll go in the third or fourth round. Gone by Bills pick in 5th for sure so they will have to consider that if they like him. I think he's a classic pocket passer that can make throws with anticipation. Takes too many chances and the obvious off field concerns. But I usu trust Mayock and he calls CK a 2nd round talent minus the baggage. Watching Ole Miss games 8 saw a lot I like as far as making throws before WRs came out of their break and did well vs teams with superior talent. I'd take a 3rd or certainly 4th round flyer on the guy.

I saw him 3 times & each time he looked like an NFL QB. Forget abourt the so called bvaggage. He is barely out of his teens & will mature once he leaves the frat parties etc.. Been there as have many of us.

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly figures to be a potential wild card in the draft. Polian is probably not far off about his arm talent and how it compares to the other top draft prospects. However, even if we fully dismiss the off-field stuff the fact remains that he had trouble reading defenses and forced a lot of throws in college. That likely places a 2nd round grade on him in normal circumstances.

Then there is the off-field stuff, and there is A LOT of it. Enough to probably scare many teams off and to designate him with the DND (Do Not Draft) designation.

Finally, there is the knee injury situation. Given all the other baggage, that likely takes Kelly completely off most draft boards.

Of course, it only takes ONE team willing to roll the dice, so who knows what will happen.

Edited by 2003Contenders

Johnny Football 2.0

I is SAD indeed to see talented people with all the stuff to make it big EXCEPT they can't get their head on straight.

It's not like he's a lost cause. I'd be fine taking him after the 2nd not based on his last name but based on his college career as a whole.

Even if he weren't the nephew of Jim, there would still be at least one thread about him. The kid has NFL level talent, but at present has a high school level head.

Alright, this is where I'm at too. He has all the talent in the world. He could be Manziel II but we don't know that. It's a risk to try him but you never know he may not get in trouble again for the rest of his career.

This was my point. And no one on this board needs to have seen Jim play to understand that he is the living face of this organization--especially over the past few years.

If his name was Chad Jones, there wouldn't be a thread about him here, let alone a dozen of them. His name makes him relevant here.

I disagree. It's not like he played at some division III school and no one ever heard of him. He played at a well known program and this team needs a QB. People would be talking about him. Hell we get 50+ pages about backup WRs that go play for the Pats. Fans are in tune with the fact we don't have a QB and he would be on the radar, especially since his baggage will have him available in the middle rounds

This was my point. And no one on this board needs to have seen Jim play to understand that he is the living face of this organization--especially over the past few years.

If his name was Chad Jones, there wouldn't be a thread about him here, let alone a dozen of them. His name makes him relevant here.

I disagree with this a bit. I am the first to admit, I didn't know a lot about him at first, but I also did NOT know he was related to Jim until after I was already intrigued about him. The reason I was intrigued was not because of TSW, it was because I saw coverage on him about how he could be one of the best QB's in this class and yet go late or undrafted because of older off field stuff. So for me, it was identifying value at first.

Once I realized he was related to Jim I started asking around here if people knew much about him and started watching some highlight reels. My interest in him has nothing to do with Jim, but I thought Jim could be a reason Bills could be on this kid more than others because with Jim around it could help mentor the kid and hopefully keep his head on straight where the off field stuff isnt an issue.

This was a Kiko Alonzo type thing for me. I wanted to draft Kiko badly but never thought we would because of the off field stuff. I even said on draft night he would be better than Dion who went top 3 to Miami. It was a kid who got past his off field stuff to really tap into his talent potential. Chad to me from what I have read and seen very much seems like a guy who could go anywhere from the 4th to undrafted based on off field stuff, but has the talent to be a real player.

I would love to see the Bills draft this kid in the 5th if he lasts there to compete with Cardale as I think he has way more potential than Jones. And with the off field stuff being more in the past and Jim here to help mentor the kid, I am not really worried about character issues especially if all we risk is a 5th round pick. I would MUCH rather risk a 5th round pick on him than a 1st or 2nd on one of the other QBs who all have quite a bit of their own risk.

My interest in him has nothing to do with Jim, but I thought Jim could be a reason Bills could be on this kid more than others because with Jim around it could help mentor the kid and hopefully keep his head on straight where the off field stuff isnt an issue.

I'll ask again, why is everyone assuming JK will be "mentoring" the guy, and when considering how his relationship with the Bills started, why is that a good thing?

I'm not even going to get into the pressure cooker that would come with playing in Buffalo with JK as your uncle.

I'll ask again, why is everyone assuming JK will be "mentoring" the guy, and when considering how his relationship with the Bills started, why is that a good thing?

I'm not even going to get into the pressure cooker that would come with playing in Buffalo with JK as your uncle.

Sounds like the kid's own father won't or can't "mentor" him.

I will bite...

1. Because Jim is still so connected to this team already and he is a blood relative.

2. Jim already stuck up for him on his behalf to get him invited again to the combine after they cancelled his invite, so he is clearly still attached to this kids trajectory.

3. What pressure? If this kid was coming in as a high draft pick, sure maybe some pressure. But this kid would be a low round investment at best.

4. Jim was a LONG time ago and we have gone through a TON of bad QB's...at this point, there is no pressure on this kid to be the 2nd coming of his uncle. There are no comparisons to Jim. He isnt faced with living up to his Uncles legacy. So this idea of pressure because of Jim to me is just very over blown.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Sounds like the kid's own father won't or can't "mentor" him.

Well, I'm not going to jump to conclusions about Jim or Kevin's role with Chad, but the assumption that Jim is chomping at the bit to "mentor" or "coach" Chad isn't fair.

I will bite...

1. Because Jim is still so connected to this team already and he is a blood relative.

2. Jim already stuck up for him on his behalf to get him invited again to the combine after they cancelled his invite, so he is clearly still attached to this kids trajectory.

3. What pressure? If this kid was coming in as a high draft pick, sure maybe some pressure. But this kid would be a low round investment at best.

4. Jim was a LONG time ago and we have gone through a TON of bad QB's...at this point, there is no pressure on this kid to be the 2nd coming of his uncle. There are no comparisons to Jim. He isnt faced with living up to his Uncles legacy. So this idea of pressure because of Jim to me is just very over blown.

I'll respond in line:

1) Jim's connection to the team is irrelevant. He is not in the front office making personnel decisions or a coach. You will create a "too many cooks in the kitchen scenario" with Jim actively involved with Chad.

2) Making a public statement on his behalf isn't exactly news worthy. Of course he'll stick up for him, but that doesn't mean he's going to be taking him under his wing or any of that nonsense.

3) You are out of your mind if you think that a Kelly playing in WNY doesn't come with pressure. Jim is the King of WNY sports on the field, off the field he and Jill have a nationally known story of both hope and tragedy. That matteres. The pressure from media, fans, talking heads, etc. will be immense.

4) He will always be compared to Jim and his reputation. That is his fate.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

If you think Chad Kelly will somehow drop to the 5 round then you are sadly mistaking.

Quarterback are on every teams radar. Some team will take the gamble and suck him up by the end of round 3

Sure he made a few mistakes but these are young men. Lots of players get in trouble but the team protects them and it goes unreported.

If you really, really like him then the Bills better outsmart a few NFL teams.

Me, I grab him in the 3rd and never look back....I believe he is a 1st rounder that lost his way. I can live with a 3rd round mistake

Could be the steal of the draft even in the 3rd

if this kid can get his head right, he will be the steal of the draft...this kid has some serious potential.

Well, I'm not going to jump to conclusions about Jim or Kevin's role with Chad, but the assumption that Jim is chomping at the bit to "mentor" or "coach" Chad isn't fair.

I'll respond in line:

1) Jim's connection to the team is irrelevant. He is not in the front office making personnel decisions or a coach. You will create a "too many cooks in the kitchen scenario" with Jim actively involved with Chad.

2) Making a public statement on his behalf isn't exactly news worthy. Of course he'll stick up for him, but that doesn't mean he's going to be taking him under his wing or any of that nonsense.

3) You are out of your mind if you think that a Kelly playing in WNY doesn't come with pressure. Jim is the King of WNY sports on the field, off the field he and Jill have a nationally known story of both hope and tragedy. That matteres. The pressure from media, fans, talking heads, etc. will be immense.

4) He will always be compared to Jim and his reputation. That is his fate.

I respect your opinions, I just don't share them and disagree.

1. Jim being a mentor for this kid off the field has nothing to do with being in the FO or on the sidelines. It has everything to do with talking to the kid at home, off the field, on the phone, etc. He is family and is going to do that regardless of where he lands I suspect as Jim is a big family guy.

2. See number 1 above.

3. I whole heartedly disagree. Nobody has any delusions of this kid being the next Jim.

4. I don't see that happening now, don't know why that would happen after.

I respect your opinions, I just don't share them and disagree.

1. Jim being a mentor for this kid off the field has nothing to do with being in the FO or on the sidelines. It has everything to do with talking to the kid at home, off the field, on the phone, etc. He is family and is going to do that regardless of where he lands I suspect as Jim is a big family guy.

2. See number 1 above.

3. I whole heartedly disagree. Nobody has any delusions of this kid being the next Jim.

4. I don't see that happening now, don't know why that would happen after.

Civil back and forth? Ah, a refreshing change of pace from my old stomping ground.

There is a ton of speculation on Jim & Chad's relationship that is largely coming out of thin air. While I do have an easy avenue to speak with JK (no bull ****), I doubt he would ever open up to non family about what Chad is really going through, for better or worse, and his role in helping Chad become a pro.

If you make the decision to draft Chad, you do it because of his ability and the confidence in your coaches to develop him. You really need to throw out the relationship to Jim all together. If Jim was his dad and was passing down a ridiculous Bo Jackson esque gene pool, different story. I wish the kid the best, but it's going to be a pressure cooker if he ended up here.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

The thing to consider in consecutive order goes as follows:

1) His skill set is undeniable.

2) He's a 1st-rounder when you cut out off the field issues

3) Off the field behavior can be adjusted or matured

4) He's highly likelihood of going in the late 3rd to early 4th round

The question is whether or not they should grab him at this point in time or take the risk of not drafting him and hope he's a UDFA.

In my personal opinion, if he doesn't live up to be a great QB as Jim Kelly, he will always been seen as a mistake. Why is that? Because too many Bills fans continue to whine, respectfully so, with the outcomes of our franchise.

If we grab him, things will be up in the air for a while. If not, then we never know what potential he had in Buffalo.

In other terms, pick him up.

If he didn't have the off-field issues he would be talked about with Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, and Watson. The kid can sling the football. He will start an NFL game for someone in time. That's an NFL throw at the 1:40 mark 3:08 and 3:28 Tyrod never does fwiw.

That touchdown at the 140 mark is so sick

I am his agent

I could give you a long...long list of head cases currently playing in the NFL

Oh, I am sure there are plenty, and maybe even some at the QB position. However, more recently we have seen those who lack it between the ears at the QB position fizzle out.