Tom Brady-The Greatest of His Era, Not All-Time

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

If Tom Brady were drafted in 1984, in a different era, where QB's weren't coddled, there is no way in hell that Brady would be in the shape, 16-17 years into his career that he is today. His body would have broken down at least some and he wouldn't be the player he is right now.

Joe Montana was 4-0 in Super Bowls and won 4 in 9 years. If he wasn't injured in the 1990 NFC Championship game against the 49ers, he probably would have been 5-0 with 5 in 10 years.

I know people were in a hurry to anoint Brady after the last Super Bowl, but if you take a step back and really look at the thing, there are QB's who have been just as impressive if not more with respect to their era. What would Dan Marino's career have looked like if he was drafted into the NFL in the year 2000?

Tom Brady is definitely one of the greatest QB's of all-time and the best of his era, but as far as I am concerned what Montana did in the era he played in was more impressive.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been spouting this for years...i will never call Tom Brady the GOAT....those other QBs played in eras where you could rip their heads off and not get a flag...in todays NFL Brady tears his knee and all of a sudden the NFL changes the rules that you can't hit a QB below the knees...it's ridiculous...you can't even compare it to the old school guys...Bradshaw would walk off the field with a bloody face and keep playing...Brady plays in the "powder puff" era...He could win 10 more superbowls and I still wouldn't call him the GOAT...and anyone who does so does it without anyone knowledge of the history of the game.

Edited by JaCrispy

Not only that they have been gifted with free 5-6 wins inside the

leagues most inept division every season.

1. Need brains to find brawn.

2. Gift wrap is cheaper than free agency.

....Brady is the best of his era.......far too many differences in eras to crown GOAT IMO.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

If Tom Brady were drafted in 1984, in a different era, where QB's weren't coddled, there is no way in hell that Brady would be in the shape, 16-17 years into his career that he is today. His body would have broken down at least some and he wouldn't be the player he is right now.

Joe Montana was 4-0 in Super Bowls and won 4 in 9 years. If he wasn't injured in the 1990 NFC Championship game against the 49ers, he probably would have been 5-0 with 5 in 10 years.

I know people were in a hurry to anoint Brady after the last Super Bowl, but if you take a step back and really look at the thing, there are QB's who have been just as impressive if not more with respect to their era. What would Dan Marino's career have looked like if he was drafted into the NFL in the year 2000?

Tom Brady is definitely one of the greatest QB's of all-time and the best of his era, but as far as I am concerned what Montana did in the era he played in was more impressive.

Montana.. hands down.. greatest QB. case closed.

Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't. The "What If..." game never makes any conclusions.

Brady's reputation isn't cemented until he retires. He is beating down Father Time right now. GOAT QB? I think so.

Jerry Rice is still the GOAT. There's a wide gap between his numbers and 2nd place.

Rice is still the GOAT. He put up his numbers in an era where it was more difficult to throw the football. That stands to reason.

Am I the only one who remembers that a QB used to call his own plays? The idea that the QB in the modern era has to wait until he gets the play called in on his helmet radio takes an important aspect of the game away from his responsibility. Players like Jack Kemp, John Unitas, etc. used to have to be a "coach on the field" to make things work. Brady is a smart guy and a film study geek so he could probably do it, but he doesn't.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Also, how many concussions has Brady had in his career? I remember as a kid, Kelly used to get concussions in a game and come back in to finish the game off. Montana, Kelly, Elway, Marino, these guys were absolutely getting drilled by defensive lineman every time they had the chance with no flags. Taking the hits those guys took, with concussions and just the hits that were close to causing a concussion, I think would definitely shorten any given player's career, but would also shorten that player's prime significantly. Brady who hasn't been touched his whole career has had a 15-year prime because his body and mind have been kept intact due to the strict rules designed to protect QB's.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

not to mention the sheer luck tom brady was discovered by. tom brady shouldn't exist. and tom owes bledsoe and the jets his life.

bledsoe had just signed the richest contract in nfl history. the patriots kept tom on a low ball deal for a long time because they weren't sure he would make it - even bringing in other fa options after bledsoe went down. belichick was quoted saying he would lose the job at the end of the year. he decided to ride with brady because why not?

well... here is tom brady. i hope he dies in his sleep tonight.

Montana.. hands down.. greatest QB. case closed.

went out to ND in 1976 for ND/Pitt game......Dorsett was RB for Pitt.......dammit, Joe was on IR.....redshirted with separated shoulder...Lisch & Slager were at the helm (COUGH)....he was THE finesse QB versus the current day "gotta have a cannon" mentality....Joe, Walsh & owner Eddie B were the "greatest of their era"..............

As painful as it is, I put Brady at #1...the guy has done all of this with not a lot of talent at the receiver position...had Moss for 2 years ( and broke records left and right ) and Gronk for a few seasons. Montana did go 4-0 in SB, but that simply means that he lost in the playoff before Brady...the 5-2 vs 4-0 debate is silly...5-2 is more impressive....

The rules have changed, but what Brady did in the salary cap era is just crazy....and I also think that athletes today are stronger, faster etc....it's not like Brady has never took a hit...the QBs are more protected for sure however...

I've seen Joe play his entire career...and he was clutch......but with 1:00 left on the clock, needing a TD to win, I'll take Brady 10 times out of 10...never seen a player as clutch as he is....as a Bills fan, it's always demoralizing when they get the ball...I always assume they'll get a TD....

It's always a fun debate...

What's better a Ferrari or a Lambo? Same thing here.

I would be curious, however, to see just how good Brady could perform if he had weapons as skilled as Rice, Taylor, Clark, Craig and Rathman though. Might see some of that on display this upcoming season.