Tom Brady-The Greatest of His Era, Not All-Time

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

If Tom Brady were drafted in 1984, in a different era, where QB's weren't coddled, there is no way in hell that Brady would be in the shape, 16-17 years into his career that he is today. His body would have broken down at least some and he wouldn't be the player he is right now.

Joe Montana was 4-0 in Super Bowls and won 4 in 9 years. If he wasn't injured in the 1990 NFC Championship game against the 49ers, he probably would have been 5-0 with 5 in 10 years.

I know people were in a hurry to anoint Brady after the last Super Bowl, but if you take a step back and really look at the thing, there are QB's who have been just as impressive if not more with respect to their era. What would Dan Marino's career have looked like if he was drafted into the NFL in the year 2000?

Tom Brady is definitely one of the greatest QB's of all-time and the best of his era, but as far as I am concerned what Montana did in the era he played in was more impressive.

People have short memories and it's easy to declare that the best players of today are GOATs when you never watched the greats of yesteryear. Furthermore, changes in both rules and offensive philosophy have inflated passing and receiving yards - making the stats of today's players stand out.

Just to give one oft-forgotten example of a rule change - offensive lineman back in the day weren't allowed to use their hands like today - making both run and pass blocking more difficult back then. And CBs could jam receivers on the line - making passing plays slow to develop. Brady would have been pulverized back then when defensive players were allowed to pulverize QBs.

I'm not sure people watching football today are more impressed by Brady than fans years ago were impressed by Otto Graham or Johnny U.

But I'm not convinced the great QBs of the past would have been more productive than Brady if they played today. Brady is near perfectly 'designed' for today's game. But - to the OPs point - Brady would have had a very different career if he had been drafted back in the 50s or 60s.

Edited by hondo in seattle

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Tom Brady were drafted in 1984, in a different era, where QB's weren't coddled, there is no way in hell that Brady would be in the shape, 16-17 years into his career that he is today. His body would have broken down at least some and he wouldn't be the player he is right now.

Joe Montana was 4-0 in Super Bowls and won 4 in 9 years. If he wasn't injured in the 1990 NFC Championship game against the 49ers, he probably would have been 5-0 with 5 in 10 years.

I know people were in a hurry to anoint Brady after the last Super Bowl, but if you take a step back and really look at the thing, there are QB's who have been just as impressive if not more with respect to their era. What would Dan Marino's career have looked like if he was drafted into the NFL in the year 2000?

Tom Brady is definitely one of the greatest QB's of all-time and the best of his era, but as far as I am concerned what Montana did in the era he played in was more impressive.

As much as I'd like to believe the coddled thing, the guy has what appears to be from an outside ameatuer speculator view an abnormal, ney almost pathological competitive nature.

I'm not sold, there isn't a definition of football Brady wouldn't figure out how to be great at. He whines for the yards. I've seen Him bounce up after almost snapping in half on a goal line sneak.

People think he would've gotten his tail kicked in old school football? Well so would have most of the other guys. Cam is the only guy out there looking like an LB.

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

They're close. Brady has better regular season stats, but he also played in a more pass friendly era. Montana and Brady had similar playoff stats. Montana had better Superbowl stats, but Brady has more wins and appearances. Plus, Montana never had to mount a comeback in the Superbowl that Brady pulled out this year. Flip a coin.

What would Dan Marino's career have looked like if he was drafted into the NFL in the year 2000?

239,548 passing yards

1,536 passing tds

0 rings

Edited by Neo

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

As much as I'd like to believe the coddled thing, the guy has what appears to be from an outside ameatuer speculator view an abnormal, ney almost pathological competitive nature.

I'm not sold, there isn't a definition of football Brady wouldn't figure out how to be great at. He whines for the yards. I've seen Him bounce up after almost snapping in half on a goal line sneak.

People think he would've gotten his tail kicked in old school football? Well so would have most of the other guys. Cam is the only guy out there looking like an LB.

Nobody thinks he would have gotten his tail kicked. He would have won Super Bowls, but there is no way in hell he would be playing at this level at 39 years of age in the 90's, and no way in hell he would have maintained his prime this long.

I've heard the argument that the best players in this era would be just as good if they played in another era. Could be, we'll never know. Maybe there would've been another guy back then that would've made his mark if it wasn't "old school football". Or maybe Tebow would've been a monster in a bygone era.

The broken record (me) says that comparing players from different eras is pointless.

i have been spouting this for years...i will never call Tom Brady the GOAT....those other QBs played in eras where you could rip their heads off and not get a flag...in todays NFL Brady tears his knee and all of a sudden the NFL changes the rules that you can't hit a QB below the knees...it's ridiculous...you can't even compare it to the old school guys...Bradshaw would walk off the field with a bloody face and keep playing...Brady plays in the "powder puff" era...He could win 10 more superbowls and I still wouldn't call him the GOAT...and anyone who does so does it without anyone knowledge of the history of the game.

this.... and that tom brady is gay with a fake wife playing in a passing era with superbowl losses and cheating scandels...how is this better than joe with a 4-0 sb record??????????????

Up until this Superbowl, I would have said that Montana was the greatest of all time. Like him or not, Brady's Superbowl comeback puts him in that conversation. Buffalo is in a playoff drought for many reasons, but being in the same division as Brady for 15 years is a big part of it.

Nobody thinks he would have gotten his tail kicked. He would have won Super Bowls, but there is no way in hell he would be playing at this level at 39 years of age in the 90's, and no way in hell he would have maintained his prime this long.

i guess youre not a total retard

There is no correct answer, but comparing different eras is like comparing apples and kiwi. It's a different game now with different athletes. Yes, Brady never gets hit, but because he gets rid of the ball in the blink of an eye. He didn't have the HOF receivers (except a brief Moss period) that Montana had. (Did Montana have early TO, or was that Steve Young by then?) I like Montana more, but taking the emotion out I have to say Brady. Ugh....

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

49ers were LOADED with great players. Who has Brady had? TB is #1

Rules specifically designed to make the game more offensive and protect the quarterback. Many, many, fewer hits and less brutal hits that his contemporaries from previous era's had. Also Randy Moss, Rob Gronkowski, a host of very talented running backs, a ton of very good players that play at a discount to have a chance to win a Super Bowl, Bill Belichick and Ernie Adams.

There is no correct answer, but comparing different eras is like comparing apples and kiwi. It's a different game now with different athletes. Yes, Brady never gets hit, but because he gets rid of the ball in the blink of an eye. He didn't have the HOF receivers (except a brief Moss period) that Montana had. (Did Montana have early TO, or was that Steve Young by then?) I like Montana more, but taking the emotion out I have to say Brady. Ugh....

They changed the rules for the defenders as well. The quick pass offense that the Pats run wouldn't have worked nearly as well 20 years ago.

Brady by a bit over Montana. Both great leaders, both great in the clutch, both worked for legendary coaches. But Brady didn't have as strong a supporting cast. Recall Montana was succeeded by another HOFer in Young; to me that speaks a bit to supporting cast.

Even as old as I am I never saw Graham in his day, but my dad always swore he was one of the best.

Rules specifically designed to make the game more offensive and protect the quarterback. Many, many, fewer hits and less brutal hits that his contemporaries from previous era's had. Also Randy Moss, Rob Gronkowski, a host of very talented running backs, a ton of very good players that play at a discount to have a chance to win a Super Bowl, Bill Belichick and Ernie Adams.

They changed the rules for the defenders as well. The quick pass offense that the Pats run wouldn't have worked nearly as well 20 years ago.

Very good point, which is why I won't waste too much time comparing eras. It's not the same thing these days.