Tom Brady-The Greatest of His Era, Not All-Time

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're entitled to your opinion. I believe only 49er fans and those that are blinded by their Brady hatred would agree with you. I thought Brady was the best before he won this last super bowl. This was just icing on the cake.

Era means nothing. Accomplishments do. Brady is easily the most accomplished.

went out to ND in 1976 for ND/Pitt game......Dorsett was RB for Pitt.......dammit, Joe was on IR.....redshirted with separated shoulder...Lisch & Slager were at the helm (COUGH)....he was THE finesse QB versus the current day "gotta have a cannon" mentality....Joe, Walsh & owner Eddie B were the "greatest of their era"..............

was there for the green jersey game in 77.. watched him bring the irish back many a time as most have, and later with frisco.. all due respect to brady, Bills bias aside, he is probably the runner up to montana.. JMHO..

...and anyone who does so does it without anyone knowledge of the history of the game.

Lol. There we go!! The dumbest thing I've ever read on TBD. I knew it would only be a matter of time since BBMB went down. Congrats JaCrispy. You've earned it.

No way im hell is brady the goat. Look up Otto Graham. Marcia would have had a 3rd the career had he played in a different era

But he didn't play in a different era. Coulda, shoulda, woulda....didn't

i have been spouting this for years...i will never call Tom Brady the GOAT....those other QBs played in eras where you could rip their heads off and not get a flag...in todays NFL Brady tears his knee and all of a sudden the NFL changes the rules that you can't hit a QB below the knees...it's ridiculous...you can't even compare it to the old school guys...Bradshaw would walk off the field with a bloody face and keep playing...Brady plays in the "powder puff" era...He could win 10 more superbowls and I still wouldn't call him the GOAT...and anyone who does so does it without anyone knowledge of the history of the game.

You've seen Brady play the last 16 years right.?....the guy can take a hit.....he whines a lot, but he can take a hit....

As painful as it is, I put Brady at #1...the guy has done all of this with not a lot of talent at the receiver position...had Moss for 2 years ( and broke records left and right ) and Gronk for a few seasons. Montana did go 4-0 in SB, but that simply means that he lost in the playoff before Brady...the 5-2 vs 4-0 debate is silly...5-2 is more impressive....

The rules have changed, but what Brady did in the salary cap era is just crazy....and I also think that athletes today are stronger, faster etc....it's not like Brady has never took a hit...the QBs are more protected for sure however...

I've seen Joe play his entire career...and he was clutch......but with 1:00 left on the clock, needing a TD to win, I'll take Brady 10 times out of 10...never seen a player as clutch as he is....as a Bills fan, it's always demoralizing when they get the ball...I always assume they'll get a TD....

It's always a fun debate...

....sure is bud.....but I guess the common denominator is that Montana was the skinny kid from ND drafted in the 3rd and Brady was drafted in the 6th as a MU backup....diamonds are NOT only available in the 1st.....look elsewhere and roll the dice.....BUT the OBD QB gurus(COUGH) since Kelly can't hit water from the boat....TCU's Dalton in the 2nd, Russell Wilson in the 3rd (versus GrahamCrackerCrumbs),or even the cerebral Alex Smith like McCarron in the 5th come to mind recently.....yet we get Spent Trent Edwards, now doing "deer in the headlights" commercials for The Hartford courtesy of Aenseas Williams or better yet Cardale "Whatchamacallit" Jones as our picks.....oh joy..........

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I think Brady is the best, and don't buy the powder puff thing. He takes a beating sometimes, and seems to actually get better the more he gets hit. He was getting pounded in the Super Bowl.

Dude, I don't know how old you are, but what you consider a pounding, would be a pretty clean game in the 90's.

1. Brady

2. Manning

3. Marino

4. Montana

5. Unitas

6. Elway

7. Farve

8. Bradshaw

9. Kelly

10. RoethlisbergerMontana was a system QB. Would of not been have the QB outside the west coast offense

But Montana was in the west coast offense. All this coulda, shoulda, woulda bs is just gibberish. He WAS in a west coast offense and he was amazing. What if the Bills would have drafted Brady?

But Montana was in the west coast offense. All this coulda, shoulda, woulda bs is just gibberish. He WAS in a west coast offense and he was amazing. What if the Bills would have drafted Brady?

If the Bills drafted Brady? We would have championships. Unless the Bills were stupid and never gave him a shot cause he was a 7 round pick.

If Tom Brady were drafted in 1984, in a different era, where QB's weren't coddled, there is no way in hell that Brady would be in the shape, 16-17 years into his career that he is today. His body would have broken down at least some and he wouldn't be the player he is right now.

Joe Montana was 4-0 in Super Bowls and won 4 in 9 years. If he wasn't injured in the 1990 NFC Championship game against the 49ers, he probably would have been 5-0 with 5 in 10 years.

I know people were in a hurry to anoint Brady after the last Super Bowl, but if you take a step back and really look at the thing, there are QB's who have been just as impressive if not more with respect to their era. What would Dan Marino's career have looked like if he was drafted into the NFL in the year 2000?

Tom Brady is definitely one of the greatest QB's of all-time and the best of his era, but as far as I am concerned what Montana did in the era he played in was more impressive.

Agree. Nice Post.

If Tom Brady were drafted in 1984, in a different era, where QB's weren't coddled, there is no way in hell that Brady would be in the shape, 16-17 years into his career that he is today. His body would have broken down at least some and he wouldn't be the player he is right now.

Joe Montana was 4-0 in Super Bowls and won 4 in 9 years. If he wasn't injured in the 1990 NFC Championship game against the 49ers, he probably would have been 5-0 with 5 in 10 years.

I know people were in a hurry to anoint Brady after the last Super Bowl, but if you take a step back and really look at the thing, there are QB's who have been just as impressive if not more with respect to their era. What would Dan Marino's career have looked like if he was drafted into the NFL in the year 2000?

Tom Brady is definitely one of the greatest QB's of all-time and the best of his era, but as far as I am concerned what Montana did in the era he played in was more impressive.

If......

I think it's a pointless exercise to try to anoint someone the best of all time.

The game has consistently changed...rule changes, conditioning, free agency, salary cap...and by the way it's a team sport right? So lets throw in coaching and team make up to the mix.

Who on this site ever saw Otto Graham? Not me, and I'm no spring chicken. From what I've been told Archie Manning was a phenomenal QB on phenomenally lousy teams.

And while I'm on the Manning family, the Peyton Manning/Brady debate was a great one because they actually played in the same era. The perception is often that Brady killed Manning head-to-head, but how about on the biggest stage (for them it was AFC championship). And hypotehtically if they switched teams/coaches would one look better than the other?

All my hot air aside, for years I put Peyton and Brady in the same category and never considered one better than the other. I'll grudgingly give Brady the nod for longevity and too many games like the last Super Bowl.

But is Brady better than Graham or Montana? Not a fair comparison for any of those players IMO.

1. Brady

2. Manning

3. Marino

4. Montana

5. Unitas

6. Elway

7. Farve

8. Bradshaw

9. Kelly

10. Roethlisberger

Montana was a system QB. Would of not been half the QB outside the west coast offense

And Brady isn't a system QB?? I don't think he is nearly as successful on a team that runs an offense other than what the Patriots run. I think Rogers, Brees, Rotheslisberger, Ryan, maybe even Newton and potentially Carr could do just as well on Pats. Some of these guys might do even better because of their ability to escape. Brady is likely going to be the winningest QB of all and by that standard maybe should be the greatest. Subjectively, Rogers can create way more and relies less on routes and scheme so he is the greatest of this ERA. Put Brady on GB and convince his stats are as good as what Rogers puts up. I would add that Cassel was an all pro and Garrapalo is considered the second coming of Brady, both strength the argument that the system is designed for QBs to succeed.