OT Andre Smith visiting Bills

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually trust Whaley with these type of signings. Who wanted Zach Brown, Lorax, or Groy last year now most people are gonna be upset if we lose them.

exactly. I don't get how people are criticizing Whaley's FA moves. They have generally been very solid. Also picked up Hunter, who the Pats are going after.

I'd rather have DJ Fluker, also since the Patriots are interested, they must see potential still

Fluker is listed at 6'3" which is generally considered a tad too short for an OT. I would LOVE for him to come to the Bills as a Guard. He's a hard worker and is really, really strong. His name was mentioned here before but he didn't get rave reviews from posters. Oh well.

He is visiting with the Giants today. Their weakness is their OL and my guess is that they will sign him.

Here is the games and sacks given up for Smith:

2009 - 6 games and .5 sack

2010 - 7 games and 2 sacks

2011 - 14 games and 2 sacks

2012 - 16 games and 7.5 sacks

2013 - 15 games and 5.5 sacks

2014 - 9 games and 4 sacks

2015 - 14 games and 3 sacks

2016 - 4 games and 2.5 sacks

Very, very mixed results here.

Smith was a good RT in Cincy for a few years. He's tailed off as of the last couple. If we got the 3 years ago version it would be a definite upgrade. Now it is probably wasted money. Don't really see him fitting in a zone blocking scheme

exactly. I don't get how people are criticizing Whaley's FA moves. They have generally been very solid. Also picked up Hunter, who the Pats are going after.

They criticize Whaley because they hate him.

While Mills was pretty meh the options available in FA were either too expensive for their worth or even worse than Mills. The contract is cheap and ensures that our RT situation isn't worse than last year, which was a possibility.

2 years 4m is backup money. Still, he was okay last year and can't have a probowler at every position

....look at the number of FA deals in the 8-9 mil/yr range being thrown out there for lineman...don't have much of a choice at those numbers......

I think the Bills were scared of his moobs.

IDK, everyone in the office just got an email attachment from Whaley suggesting he definitely appreciates a good rack.

...well, maybe not. Follow up email suggests he's trying to recall it.

Edited by transient

I actually trust Whaley with these type of signings. Who wanted Zach Brown, Lorax, or Groy last year now most people are gonna be upset if we lose them.

Agreed. So far, Whaley has been much better at acquiring productive vets than drafting impactful players.

Edited by hondo in seattle

o-line choices are not inspiring. Smith is a no for me as would have been Vlad. I get not overpaying but I don't like dumpster diving for olinemen

I agree. Unfortunately, when you're starving, you go dumpster diving.

Kind of like last year with WRs, DW seems to be hoping that if he brings enough journeyman in to compete, one of them will step up and prove worthy.

Agreed. So far, Whaley has been much better at acquiring productive vets than drafting impactful players.

I'm hoping this is a product of the coaching turnover. You would expect that identifying vets for the current system is easier than drafting players that fit the current system and also having them be a good fit for the next, as yet to be determined, system once they develop.