Patriots Complete Trade for Brandin Cooks

Patriots, Schmatriots. Anyone can sign a Pro Bowl cornerback or an 80-catch WR or a second TE. While they're playing checkers Whaley is playing chess. 3D chess! Let's let our aging one-dimensional fullback go and replace him with ... not one but TWO aging one dimensional fullbacks! Imagine one fullback blocking for the other one! One yard and a cloud of dust those black rubber pellets that delayed the 2nd half kickoff last year. I ask you: have you seen a 2 fullback set at any time in your lifetime? I think maybe somebody did this in the leather helmet era, and damn it, it's time we saw it ourselves. Did the Pats cut one aging mediocre journeyman free safety in favor of signing two mediocre journeyman free safeties? No, they didn't. They don't get it. They're building a roster like it's 2016 or something. Mediocre player + mediocre player does NOT = mediocrity ... there's a weird multiplier effect there that only Dougie understands! To the untrained eye, the Bills just lost their two best defensive players, their second best receiver, and re-signed their middling QB, suggesting a slight dropoff from the lofty heights (in playoff contention until Week 17!) of 2016. To the untrained eye I said. To the deep, deep analyst, this is a whole new way of building a roster from the fullbacks up. Wait and see, Billy and Tommy. Just wait and see.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Patriots, Schmatriots. Anyone can sign a Pro Bowl cornerback or an 80-catch WR or a second TE. While they're playing checkers Whaley is playing chess. 3D chess! Let's let our aging one-dimensional fullback go and replace him with ... not one but TWO aging one dimensional fullbacks! Imagine one fullback blocking for the other one! One yard and a cloud of dust those black rubber pellets that delayed the 2nd half kickoff last year. I ask you: have you seen a 2 fullback set at any time in your lifetime? I think maybe somebody did this in the leather helmet era, and damn it, it's time we saw it ourselves. Did the Pats cut one aging mediocre journeyman free safety in favor of signing two mediocre journeyman free safeties? No, they didn't. They don't get it. They're building a roster like it's 2016 or something. Mediocre player + mediocre player does NOT = mediocrity ... there's a weird multiplier effect there that only Dougie understands! To the untrained eye, the Bills just lost their two best defensive players, their second best receiver, and re-signing their middling QB, suggesting a slight dropoff from the lofty heights of 2016. To the untrained eye I said. To the deep, deep analyst, this is a whole new way of building a roster from the fullbacks up. Wait and see, Billy and Tommy. Just wait and see.

Cheers.

I remember when I had my first beer!

Slow down just a minute, I have rethought all this and I have found a silver lining. Fans around the NFL have hope, the end of the Patriot machine may be closer than we think due to the moves these past two days.

They gave up their first and lost a nice RWS contract oppurtunity to get a player under their control for 5 years. Cooks is due to be paid much sooner than that pick, Butler is due, Hightower is due, Collins is gone, Jones is gone, Ryan is gone, Bennett is gone. That is a huge departure of talent but clearly not enough to derail them. Kony Ealy also has played a few years into his rookie deal.

I know this is long winded but this weeks move improved their team but may have accelerated their inevitable decline. Two keys that must happen, the Pats must hang onto Jimmy G. and he must fail as a starting QB. Stephon Gilmore has to flop in New England. He will be their #1 after this year, his money could work against them once they pay Cooks, Jimmy G. Etc. In this scenario I also want them to pay Hightower top dollar.

Edelman, Gronk, Amendola, Dmac, and a few of their offensive lineman have already played their best years out in NE.

Blehhh it's a reach I suppose. First step don't trade Jimmy G. I don't want them replacing those picks. Second step open that checkbook to that ILB.

No, this does not reek of desperation at all. Not at all.

Wish the Pats were in the NFC. Having them in the AFCE has made watching football very uninteresting lately, and I'm a season ticket holder. Cannot wait for the day the "Purple Carrot" retires or leaves the field for good on a stretcher.

Well they have spent their picks and some money to replenish the talent on their team, next moves will be to get those picks back.

Trade Garopollo and get a couple of picks (1st and 2nd maybe)

Trade Butler now that they have Gilmore (it was rumored they were going to trade Butler for Cooks) to recoup some of those picks.

Trade a few picks up and down at the draft in order to accumulate a few other picks

People act like just any team can do what they are doing. They are only able to make the moves they are doing because they are a consistent SB favorite that players will take pay cuts for so they can get their rings (Gi,more may be the one player in many years who has signed their for what was considered 'market value'), and they have one of the best QBs playing for them that is playing under a contract that is considered well under market value. Find me another team that is in that situation? Until Brady retires and players stop taking pay cuts to go their they will continue to have cap space and flexibility to sign what they need and trade away assetts. When your trying to build a team/improve one to get closer to their level, you don't have the ability to just throw away talent when they get to expensive and trade down in the draft for future picks

Just waiting on Jimmy G to go to the Browns for 2 firsts and we'll be all set.

You know, you'd think other teams would be sick of seeing NE win every single year. And yet, they always seem to help them out. Sometimes us included XD.

My thoughts exactly. Everybody else is playing for 2nd.

Used to be the same with the freakin' Lakers.

They are preparing for life after Brady...

This crossed my mind as well. Why else is Belicheat acting so un-Belicheat?

BTW - I am not sad that Gilmore is gone. He obviously wanted to move on so he would no longer have given us his best. Personally, I felt he drew far more penalties than an "elite" player should - but that is just me.

I too feel concern for OUR current lack FA pick ups so far BUT then I thought about McCoy and Clay, etc. Whaley is good at TRADES maybe there are some incredible surprises in our immediate future...

Anyway, I am behind Coach McD and a belief that he is NOT trying to ruin his chance at being a HC in the NFL. I think THEY have a plan.

Edited by cd1

Well they have spent their picks and some money to replenish the talent on their team, next moves will be to get those picks back.

Trade Garopollo and get a couple of picks (1st and 2nd maybe)

Trade Butler now that they have Gilmore (it was rumored they were going to trade Butler for Cooks) to recoup some of those picks.

Trade a few picks up and down at the draft in order to accumulate a few other picks

People act like just any team can do what they are doing. They are only able to make the moves they are doing because they are a consistent SB favorite that players will take pay cuts for so they can get their rings (Gi,more may be the one player in many years who has signed their for what was considered 'market value'), and they have one of the best QBs playing for them that is playing under a contract that is considered well under market value. Find me another team that is in that situation? Until Brady retires and players stop taking pay cuts to go their they will continue to have cap space and flexibility to sign what they need and trade away assetts. When your trying to build a team/improve one to get closer to their level, you don't have the ability to just throw away talent when they get to expensive and trade down in the draft for future picks

This is absolutely true and very well written.

This is what I have been referring to as "Luxury Picks".

When your boat is full of holes and is sinking, you desparately need to plug holes and don't have the LUXURY of creative stratagies. Thus Belicheats smoke and mirrors. Some of these acquisitions I suspect, he might not even keep on the team.

I'm not that surprised NE is doing all this....Contrary to what I've been reading, NE is always making trades at this time of the year.....Bennett, Hogan, Long etc ..last year....this year, they're only spending more $ because they have it.....

Slow down just a minute, I have rethought all this and I have found a silver lining. Fans around the NFL have hope, the end of the Patriot machine may be closer than we think due to the moves these past two days.

They gave up their first and lost a nice RWS contract oppurtunity to get a player under their control for 5 years. Cooks is due to be paid much sooner than that pick, Butler is due, Hightower is due, Collins is gone, Jones is gone, Ryan is gone, Bennett is gone. That is a huge departure of talent but clearly not enough to derail them. Kony Ealy also has played a few years into his rookie deal.

I know this is long winded but this weeks move improved their team but may have accelerated their inevitable decline. Two keys that must happen, the Pats must hang onto Jimmy G. and he must fail as a starting QB. Stephon Gilmore has to flop in New England. He will be their #1 after this year, his money could work against them once they pay Cooks, Jimmy G. Etc. In this scenario I also want them to pay Hightower top dollar.

Edelman, Gronk, Amendola, Dmac, and a few of their offensive lineman have already played their best years out in NE.

Blehhh it's a reach I suppose. First step don't trade Jimmy G. I don't want them replacing those picks. Second step open that checkbook to that ILB.

They won the SB without Jones and Collins.....They have the $ to keep Butler and Hightower.....they replaced Ryan with Gilmore.......Allen replaced Bennett for a lot less money...plus, let's face it....if Gronk stays healthy, it doesn 't really matter who their 2nd TE is.....and if they lose Cooks after the season, they'll get a comp pick like they always do....same with Ealy....as far a Garapollo, they either get a bunch of picks for him or he stays in a system he's very familiar with...neither of those options are good news for us....

Edited by Iron Maiden

When you have a HOF QB nearing the end of his career, you can (wisely) shift into "Win Now" mode and mortgage some of your future.

Our myopic GM is perpetually stuck in "Win Now" mode. :doh:

OMG - It is just NOW that the Pats shifted into "Win Now"?

You mean all these years they didn't really care - come on...

Sometimes the REACH to slam Whaley is comical.

People are hilarious. It's easy to do anything when you have the best coach and best QB in the league. Almost anything else is irrelevant.

It's obvious that for years they worked within a context of how to give themselves maximum flexibility. Be it scheme, players to add via free agency and the draft, or players to shed.

Now, they see the end of the road and future flexibility doesn't matter, so they are just using the rest of the accumulated future assets for assets that can pay dividends now.

Picks, cap space, etc...

Again, this has worked in the past cause of B&B and will work now because of B&B.

The only real question in my mind is are they keeping Jimmy G because the end is one year away or will they deal him because B&B are staying more than a year.

I whole heartedly agree! 1000%

Pats are better than any organization in any sport at all of that...and that was my point exactly. Cooks doesnt change that, people can back off the ledge, the Pats were going to dominate next year with or without him because they are just that good and smarter than everyone else.

I wasnt mocking the pickup, its a great move by the Pats and I wont be surprised to see them restock draft picks and trade Jimmy to Browns. My only point was that Cooks is irrelevant, they were already the team to beat and this did not change that. Brady will throw for 4800 yards whether Cooks is catching passes from him or not was my point. That was a testament to Brady and that team.

With respect to the highlighted area whether the Pats trade Garapolo for a boatload of picks or not is another illustration of how smart and forward thinking they are. There are good reasons to keep him. But if they do trade him they have a qb in Jacoby Brissett as an insurance policy. How good is he? Who knows? The drafting of Brissett when they already had Garap as a backup covered themselves to a degree if they had to deal Garap before he entered free agency.

The same type of thinking happened when they traded Jamie Collins, a superb LB. during the season in their SB run. They had little intention of signing him after the season so they traded him to Cleveland for a pick, had good young players behind him ready to replace him and end up with more cap space.

While the Bills make personnel decisions as if they are doing patch work New England has a strategic approach to roster building that involves multi-layered thinking. The Pats are working with chess pieces while the Bills are working with bottle caps. There is a stark difference between living in the ghetto and residing in a gated community.

I did a fantasy draft in Madden, and the Pats took Brady AND adrian peterson! **** was crazy!! I rolled with Cardale Jones. Throws too many picks cuz of the throwing motion he has. Had to draft a sleeper QB in the 3rd round to win the superbowl with my Bills team. kept Sammy, ZBrown, Ragland (WHO IS BEAST), and Darby from the originals.

Why?

i don't think the Pats got a "bad" deal because first and foremost he's a good player and a known commodity vs what they would get with a rookie. Not a true "#1" but he doesn't need to be there. He complained about lack of targets in NO - Im not sure that will change in NE with all of the guys they have - Gronk, Edelman, Allen, hogan, emendola, Lewis, Mitchell, et al. He complained about getting paid and just got traded to the most notoriously tight foster organization in football. but it was a Great trade for the Saints because he didn't want to be there, wanted to get paid, and wasn't even their best WR. And they got a 1st round pick out of it.

But let's not act like this is Randy Moss for a 4th, or like they just got Julio Jones. It's not some kind of heist. They will now win their games by 30 instead of 20. Instead of Edelman or Gronk getting 14 catches a game, they get 7 and he gets 7. Or whatever. They got better but they were already better than everyone else, regardless.

Edited by YoloinOhio

i don't think the Pats got a "bad" deal because first and foremost he's a good player and a known commodity vs what they would get with a rookie. Not a true "#1" but he doesn't need to be there. He complained about lack of targets in NO - Im not sure that will change in NE with all of the guys they have - Gronk, Edelman, Allen, hogan, emendola, Lewis, Mitchell, et al. He complained about getting paid and just got traded to the most notoriously tight foster organization in football. but it was a Great trade for the Saints because he didn't want to be there, wanted to get paid, and wasn't even their best WR. And they got a 1st round pick out of it.

But let's not act like this is Randy Moss for a 4th, or like they just got Julio Jones. It's not some kind of heist. They will now win their games by 30 instead of 20. Instead of Edelman or Gronk getting 14 catches a game, they get 7 and he gets 7. Or whatever. They got better but they were already better than everyone else, regardless.

This. Cooks is a good player but someone has to catch those passes. The thing I'm bummed about is that they didn't have to give up Butler.

The way to beat the Pats hasn't changed. Get pressure on Brady, put him on the ground. Rex managed to do that once on Monday night. The Broncos got to the Super Bowl doing it. If you can hit Brady and score, you win. The real problem is everyone outthinks themselves playing the Pats so they do dumb crap (hello Dan Quinn).

The way to beat the Pats hasn't changed. Get pressure on Brady, put him on the ground. Rex managed to do that once on Monday night. The Broncos got to the Super Bowl doing it. If you can hit Brady and score, you win. The real problem is everyone outthinks themselves playing the Pats so they do dumb crap (hello Dan Quinn).

We did that in the 2nd game of 2015. Tyrod wasn't in a winning mood that night.