Today I Learned....PartII

4 hours ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

I am in the same boat, where do they come up with that crap?

My “healthy” weight, according to the BMI chart, would be less than or equal to 175 pounds.  I’m 6’0”.  I haven’t been 175 since I was a sophomore in HS.  That **** is crazy.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My “healthy” weight, according to the BMI chart, would be less than or equal to 175 pounds.  I’m 6’0”.  I haven’t been 175 since I was a sophomore in HS.  That **** is crazy.

I'm obese at 205 and 5'11". Yet I can run a 5k right now without breathing hard.

Screw you, gubment!

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Same here, 6'4", and I'm "supposed" to be 180 or so.

Last time I was 180, at that height, I was critically ill and looked like a survivor of Bergen-Belsen.

25 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Same here, 6'4", and I'm "supposed" to be 180 or so.

Last time I was 180, at that height, I was critically ill and looked like a survivor of Bergen-Belsen.

I’m 6’1” and got down around 180# about 8 years ago following some surgery. My first outing after the hospital was with a very good friend who later told me he texted his wife while we were out and said “he looks like my dad just before he died of cancer!” I’m about 190 now with good intentions, but have no desire to go below 185. 

When I worked in govt agency which publicized these metrics I noticed most of the profiles listed those generated were vegetarians and from pictures looked very frail looking.  I think there own choices influenced what they recommend for others.  Not all vegetarians are like this. I worked with one in college, a married man in early 30s, who looked like an athlete.

The BMI never worked for people with a body  for which strangers ask me where I played basketball and, since my 30s, also where I played football

they have had to set up a second BMI for people who have larger frames, a system that tells me an NFL running back and NBA power forward is obese is criminally wrong and the opposite of science 

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

When I worked in govt agency which publicized these metrics I noticed most of the profiles listed those generated were vegetarians and from pictures looked very frail looking.  I think there own choices influenced what they recommend for others.  Not all vegetarians are like this. I worked with one in college, a married man in early 30s, who looked like an athlete.

I have met a few who were good people and enjoyable company.

On 7/5/2018 at 12:51 PM, DC Tom said:

What's really interesting is that he probably wouldn't have found Titanic without looking for Thresher and Scorpion first.  The experience finding the subs led him to change his search plan for the Titanic.

I found CBF's TIL more interesting than this.

14 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I found CBF's TIL more interesting than this.

It's a free country.  You have a First Amendment right to be both wrong and stupid, and I completely support your exercise of such.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/5/2018 at 12:51 PM, DC Tom said:

What's really interesting is that he probably wouldn't have found Titanic without looking for Thresher and Scorpion first.  The experience finding the subs led him to change his search plan for the Titanic.

I find this kind of stuff fascinating.  A couple of concise articles detail what Tom mentions:  http://www.planet-science.com/categories/over-11s/technology/2012/04/finding-the-titanic.aspx and https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/11/titanic-nuclear-submarine-scorpion-thresher-ballard/.  One story I have heard, but not sure if it is true, was that the Navy knew where the Titanic rested, though without knowing it was the Titanic.  When traveling to Iceland and Northern Europe, Navy subs would travel north off the US East coast, then take a right hand turn when their sonar detected the area where the Titanic rested.  Supposedly, the Navy told Robert Ballard, if you wanted to know where the Titanic was, why didn't you ask?  Again, not sure of the validity of this, but an interesting thought.

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I find this kind of stuff fascinating.  A couple of concise articles detail what Tom mentions:  http://www.planet-science.com/categories/over-11s/technology/2012/04/finding-the-titanic.aspx and https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/11/titanic-nuclear-submarine-scorpion-thresher-ballard/.  One story I have heard, but not sure if it is true, was that the Navy knew where the Titanic rested, though without knowing it was the Titanic.  When traveling to Iceland and Northern Europe, Navy subs would travel north off the US East coast, then take a right hand turn when their sonar detected the area where the Titanic rested.  Supposedly, the Navy told Robert Ballard, if you wanted to know where the Titanic was, why didn't you ask?  Again, not sure of the validity of this, but an interesting thought.

I tend to doubt that story, if only because shipwrecks are almost useless as deep-ocean navigation marks; the North Atlantic's so lousy with wrecks that using a single one as a deep-ocean navigation mark is impractical; and subs typically don't navigate by sonar, particularly in mid-ocean.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Drummer Mick Woodmansey is the sole living band member for the recording of Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust Album.  Must be a curse or something on the record, everyone died.

On 7/12/2018 at 9:43 AM, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Speilberg was set to direct the Harry Potter series but JK Rowling insisted that all the actors be British and SS wanted to use American actors.   Glad it went the way it did. 

44 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Sounds like Princess Bride with Dread Pirate Roberts.

Dread Pirate Roberts: "Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning." 

10 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, live it up in that 4x6 jail cell.  I would do horrible, horrible things to make them move me up on the “kill list.”  lol

So sort of like you do now?

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

I fully expect that, when I die, I won't know until the moment it happens.  So I'm not quite sympathetic to them.

Seriously.  I wish I could be told the morning of.  I'd have a "to do," list at the ready.

Today I learned that back lights on led TVs should not be set above 75%. Setting them above that can burn out the led lenses and be costly to repair. I also learned that most TV manufacturers allow the back light to be set brighter than theyre supposed to be set. Probably so you have to replace your tv more frequently 

38 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Today I learned that back lights on led TVs should not be set above 75%. Setting them above that can burn out the led lenses and be costly to repair. I also learned that most TV manufacturers allow the back light to be set brighter than theyre supposed to be set. Probably so you have to replace your tv more frequently 

uh oh, not that expensive I hope

my Samsung is still chugging along just fine 9 years on, i really like it, i could replace it with 10 times the product for half of what i bought it for, but i can wait

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

uh oh, not that expensive I hope

my Samsung is still chugging along just fine 9 years on, i really like it, i could replace it with 10 times the product for half of what i bought it for, but i can wait

Back in November I had one of the lenses fall off/burn out and it cost me $250 to repair. Not cheap, but cheaper than buying a new TV. About 2 weeks ago, I had 2 more burn out and have no sound out of the TV speakers. It's in the shop again (this time under an extended warranty I purchased after the last breakdown) so fortunately I don't have to pay this time. The guy who's fixing it told me about the back light thing. He said they see this issue constantly because people turn the back light all the way up because the picture looks best that way, but unfortunately crap these tvs out alot faster. He did say that adjusting the brightness won't effect anything, just the back light

17 hours ago, Steptide said:

Back in November I had one of the lenses fall off/burn out and it cost me $250 to repair. Not cheap, but cheaper than buying a new TV. About 2 weeks ago, I had 2 more burn out and have no sound out of the TV speakers. It's in the shop again (this time under an extended warranty I purchased after the last breakdown) so fortunately I don't have to pay this time. The guy who's fixing it told me about the back light thing. He said they see this issue constantly because people turn the back light all the way up because the picture looks best that way, but unfortunately crap these tvs out alot faster. He did say that adjusting the brightness won't effect anything, just the back light

Maybe people do it because they have an extended warranty and do not care.

I had one of those on my car for which 90% of premiums were repaid if there were no claims.

In year 6 of 7 company went out of business ("bankruptcy") and company was purchased.

Further research determined they were same owners on another holding company.

They actually tried to sell me another extended warranty; I told them I do not purchase warranties on cars from companies younger than my car.

On 7/13/2018 at 11:27 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, live it up in that 4x6 jail cell.  I would do horrible, horrible things to make them move me up on the “kill list.”  lol

I think they have 6 months to carry out the sentence. I'm not sure what would be worse. Knowing the day or knowing it could be any day.

On 7/13/2018 at 6:26 PM, Steptide said:

Ouch, $250 would be too much for repair, a good chunk of what I’ll pay for the next TV, it’s not that big a thing for me, an online bargain at a big box store will be next, as this one was.

5 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I think they have 6 months to carry out the sentence. I'm not sure what would be worse. Knowing the day or knowing it could be any day.

I don’t know the answer, but we are all in the second category already. We just don’t sense that as keenly.