Today I Learned....PartII

1 hour ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

That, and it probably cost in the low six figures and required a liquid nitrogen bath to work.

(Worked with digital cameras in the 80s that were in the low five figures...and required a liquid nitrogen bath.)

3 hours ago, Keukasmallies said:

TIL that nothing Hill'ry Clinton has done since 2016 has changed my mind one scintilla - she's still an arrogant, elitist, self-aggrandizing, myopic, fat-thighed harridan.

Interesting.  Sounds exactly like someone who is currently the POTUS.

6 hours ago, Keukasmallies said:

TIL that nothing Hill'ry Clinton has done since 2016 has changed my mind one scintilla - she's still an arrogant, elitist, self-aggrandizing, myopic, fat-thighed harridan.

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Interesting.  Sounds exactly like someone who is currently the POTUS.

Sounds like a good marriage match and result would be Keukasmallies. 

Problem his his father would not support special education for him.

Please keep politics in PPP.  The first one was clearly a political post.

• Haha (+1) 1

Today I learned that the insult "nimrod" comes from the Book of Genesis referring to the Assyrian King Tukulti-Ninurta I as "Nimrod," renown as "a mighty hunter before the Lord."  It only entered the American lexicon as an epithet meaning "stupid, dull-witted person" in 1942, when Bugs Bunny called Elmer Fudd a "poor little Nimrod" in the theatrical short "Fresh Hare."

Biblical myths of Assyrian kings, perverted by Merrie Melodies.  Gotta love American culture.  :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Today I learned that the insult "nimrod" comes from the Book of Genesis referring to the Assyrian King Tukulti-Ninurta I as "Nimrod," renown as "a mighty hunter before the Lord."  It only entered the American lexicon as an epithet meaning "stupid, dull-witted person" in 1942, when Bugs Bunny called Elmer Fudd a "poor little Nimrod" in the theatrical short "Fresh Hare."

Biblical myths of Assyrian kings, perverted by Merrie Melodies.  Gotta love American culture.  :lol:

Nimrod was the founder of the Babylonian empire, historical claim on top of your "myth" putdown

TIL that Irish American actor Robert De Niro was raised by an openly gay Catholic father and an atheist mother in New York just two generations after his family fled Ireland to escape the famine

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:31 PM, BUFFALOKIE said:

Not a lot of options, I suppose.

BTW: Thanks CBF.  I look forward to this thread daily.

My pleasure!

On May 24, 2018 at 8:32 AM, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Seriously?  Coke pissed money away on a deliberately bad product and supporting marketing campaign so as to wound a competitor's product?

How much of the purchase price of a coke actually goes to the **** inside the can?

This is further proof that marketing is morally one level beneath thievery.

TaB is still available but you have to look around. I tried TaB a few times many years ago and cannot understand why someone would pay a ridiculous price to procure it now with so many better tasting alternatives. But there is much about the human race that I do not understand.

Some thought the name meant Totally artificial Beverage but Snopes rebutted that. 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/keeping-tab/

Edited by Mr Info

On 5/24/2018 at 7:09 PM, DC Tom said:

What?  That's awful.  What six year old can't read?

Many 6 year olds at the schools where I work can’t even identify all of their letters.  Back in the day they called that ****ty parenting.  Today they refer to it as “acquired dyslexia.”  Not kidding.

23 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Many 6 year olds at the schools where I work can’t even identify all of their letters.  Back in the day they called that ****ty parenting.  Today they refer to it as “acquired dyslexia.”  Not kidding.

I knew my alphabet but wasn't able to read until 7years old. Although, I was doing 4th grade level math problems at the same age.  I remember thinking that numbers made more sense then letters.

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

I learned around 6 years old to project an image where people gave me 25 more IQ points than I deserve.

It's been very valuable.

Interesting.  What image did you learn to project?  My fav was the dog shadow puppet, but I’m not sure what kind of impact that had on my face value IQ.