Jordan Poyer

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$3.25 million isn't starter money...

So is Poyer our starting FS with Hyde as SS? I'm not super thrilled by the back-end speed or the physical presence, but I guess it will do. Probably looking for a starting CB still or maybe a roving hybrid guy for heavy nickel looks, with Hyde on the slot....

Im sure this has been said, but "New Bills Safety Jordan Poyer was Oregon's Player of the year on both offense and defense; also state POY in baseball and drafted by Marlins."

Personally, coming out of college I had him as a better fit at CB. With the recent departures of Gilmore and Robey-Coleman I would not be suprised to see Poyer back at CB. Intrigued to see how this plays out.

You think we still add a S? Probably need 2 CBs or more

I can't imagine us passing up on Adams or Hooker if they're there at 10. I thought CB Sidney Jones made a lot of sense too, but with his achilles injury we could conceivably pick him up in the 3rd round and store him on IR for a year. I would guess at at least 2 secondary players in the draft along with a few more depth signings.

So we have 2 safeties that can switch to CB in a pinch, and Darby as our #1. Not a bad start to the secondary, especially with the draft supposedly being deep there.

I'll add my commentary to say we have 2 depth safeties, one that can likely start at nickel CB, but have yet to prove they are quality S or C NFL front line starters, great upgrade at depth, an upgrade on nickel C as compared to NRC, but likely did not solve either of our long term starting S or C positions

Just like we signed similar depth at WR the last 2 days but you cannot say with sincerity any of those WR's can play #2/#3 in the NFL, so these draft picks are going to be uber-improtant his year, unlike say last year where none of em started for us, we can't afford that again...

jc

J Poyer has started a grand total of 6 games as a starting FS in the NFL his short 3-4 years

And got really low player ratings while doing so

Hey maybe in 2017 he'll turn into Zack or Lorax

Or maybe he'll be an overpaid bum out of football by this time next year

I just hope we don't lose a 2018 3rd comp pick by having signed him for these gazillions

jc

Bang on Scott Law

While it always possible a fringe signing like Poyer who is career backup turns into a diamond in the rough

Even DW's who hit a couple of FA's backup homeruns last year is only likely batting under .200 with these kind of players

I'm happy to eat crow if Poyer is even an adequate replacement for Graham but it's not likely...

jc

Bang on Scott Law

While it always possible a fringe signing like Poyer who is career backup turns into a diamond in the rough

Even DW's who hit a couple of FA's backup homeruns last year is only likely batting under .200 with these kind of players

I'm happy to eat crow if Poyer is even an adequate replacement for Graham but it's not likely...

jc

I don't have faith in DW based on his "hits" last year. Lo and Zach were signed as backups and pleasantly surprised. If DW believed in Zach he wouldn't have blown 3 picks on Ragland. Same with Shaq to some degree (even when healthy and as the year went on Shaq couldn't keep Lo off the field). Who else has Whaley "unearthed" in FA?

I don't like the Poyer signing b/c he got starter money despite not showing he's worth it. Sounds like Whaley trying to outsmart everyone. I was hoping for a dynamic S from a deep pool in the draft, but with Poyer's K it seems unlikely.