Gillislee will get multiple offers

Leads the NFL in yards per carry at 5.7, never fumbles, can get around the edge which is really rare in the pros and has good vision between the tackles.

I know we'll get a chance to match any offer, so maybe we still retain him, but I was listening to Murph on the radio today saying most teams would rather draft a rookie runner in the 5th round and have him for cheap than to sign a guy like TD Mike. I totally disagree. The guy is exceptional and most 5th round picks are out of football in a few years.

I hope we're planning on matching whatever offers come his way. If Shady gets an injury, like all RB's do from time to time, and Jonathan "the leaper" Williams is our lead man, we're going to regret it.

Gotta keep your role players, they're a big part of good teams.....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You keep them unless some other team is willing to greatly overpay. Don't be stupid with your money. BTW We can get his replacement in like the 5th round this year. The RB corp is as deep as it has ever been.

With that said, odds are he won't get the money he thinks he will on the open market.

I'm going to proactively say that a 5th round tender was a bad idea. You should have spent the little extra on the 2nd round tender and locked up an important part of your offense. This will not work out wel for the Bills.

He is a backup RB... Dear god people.

The long and the short of it is that even losing Gillislee for a 5th round pick is a bad deal.

Paying Gillislee starter money would be a really bad deal. He has proven very valuable as a change of pace back in the Bills running game the last two years. He has not shown well when asked to start. Two completely different things. They obviously value him enough to try and negotiate a long term deal, but with so many other needs at a variety of positions, overpaying for your backup running back would be foolish. If some team wants to knock his socks off with a starter value contract, so be it. That would hardly be the end of the world. I would much rather take that extra money toward a starting linebacker or safety or right tackle.

Leads the NFL in yards per carry at 5.7, never fumbles, can get around the edge which is really rare in the pros and has good vision between the tackles.

I know we'll get a chance to match any offer, so maybe we still retain him, but I was listening to Murph on the radio today saying most teams would rather draft a rookie runner in the 5th round and have him for cheap than to sign a guy like TD Mike. I totally disagree. The guy is exceptional and most 5th round picks are out of football in a few years.

I hope we're planning on matching whatever offers come his way. If Shady gets an injury, like all RB's do from time to time, and Jonathan "the leaper" Williams is our lead man, we're going to regret it.

Gotta keep your role players, they're a big part of good teams.....

Its gonna be difficult money wise Rodak just posted this If Bills put 2nd-rd tender on M. Gillislee ($2.75M) & low tenders ($1.8M) on R. Groy & C. Schmidt, it will cost $6.34M of $18.2M cap space.

And we still have to fill the rest of our wholes and pay the rookies salary that make the top 51 paid players.

He is a backup RB... Dear god people.

You know he's a good RB. You don't know how a 5th round RB is going to turn out.

Would you have trade any of the following for TD Mike?

Edit.

Half my post got cropped for some reason. Oh well, look at the history of RB picks from the Bills, they are not good. I've never believed in the RB's are a dime a dozen cliche. For a proven, solid RB, $2.7 isn't a big hit.

Edited by elroy16

Your missing the point.

There was no reason to not tender him the 2nd round tender.

That's the point.

Then you would have to pay him more money, the Bills cap situation is a nightmare. It's not a surprise they won't commit dollars to a backup RB.