Derek Boyko Named Vice President Of Communications

iommi

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and the drought. don't forget the drought. he's solely responsible for that.

as for these crisis moments you speak of, the crisis are self-inflicted by higher-up mismanagement, be it how Doug Whaley mishandled himself this past season over a variety of issues, not only his season-ending presser, which was a coup-de-gras, or the various power struggles that continue to emerge in the posts above him.

i said i respect the job that Scott did, because it wasn't an easy one, knowing the daily demands and pressures that have come with it.

you seem to suggest that he failed to protect the franchise's image, as if he could stick his thumb in the dam and stop the water from bursting through.

you suggest i have an agenda here. dunno.

i respect Scott. can't say i count him as a "friend." i've had only a few drinks with him ever, and that was one evening at training camp.

as for this WNY bubble you suggest I live in, i'd counter with the naysayers like you on this board constantly harping on one thing that has nothing to do with the other thing, as if: "Yes, this will solve the problem."

yes, Scott bears responsibility. but not at the expense of others who should take a large amount of the blame but go scurrying off and hide behind no comments or "i'm not privvy" statements when the going gets rough.

pretty certain this clears up any questions about my comprehension skills, but lord only knows with you.

jw

Since you're being dickish, I'll follow suit. The two further logical fallacies you've brought us in bold above do clear up your comprehension skills but maybe not in the way you intended.

Are you of the opinion that the perception of the team among Bills fans and in the greater football world can never affect anything, even slightly, under any circumstances?

If you think perception is meaningless then why the heck are you a writer?

I get it you respect the guy, and I truly have nothing but respect for the respect you're displaying. These strawman potshots of yours, however... :lol:

Since you're being dickish, I'll follow suit. The two further logical fallacies you've brought us in bold above do clear up your comprehension skills but maybe not in the way you intended.

Are you of the opinion that the perception of the team among Bills fans and in the greater football world can never affect anything, even slightly, under any circumstances?

If you think perception is meaningless then why the heck are you a writer?

I get it you respect the guy, and I truly have nothing but respect for the respect you're displaying. These strawman potshots of yours, however... :lol:

so, you're positing that negative press has an impact on success, even if ever so slightly.

well, sir, i present to you a few examples.

-- Deflategate.

-- Are the Browns any better even though they're on their third VP of communications since 2012.

-- A year after Ray Lewis pleaded guilty to obstruction charges in relation to a double-murder investigation, he was the NFL's defensive player of the year and Super Bowl MVP.

-- Last year's election.

To the same extent:

-- Is the Knicks PR staff to blame for what's gone wrong under Dolan?

-- Do the Baltimore Colts PR staff take heat for the team relocating to Indianapolis? Or the Chargers, now?

-- How much blame does the Sabres PR staff deserve when the team somehow and inexplicably failed to re-sign Drury and Briere?

-- The NFL fumbled the ball badly on Ray Rice. Was that the PR staff's miscue or Roger Goodell who, in a question posed by me at Canton that summer, insisted the league followed its suspension policy.

But blame the PR person for the follies of others.

jw

I need nothing more than to hear the story of Berchtold's "consigliere-style" abduction of Tim Graham and bringing him in to some tiny break room for a "come to Jesus" meeting with Marrone, to know Berchtold had no business working PR in a professional capacity no matter how loyal or nice he is.

Edited by ndirish1978

so, you're positing that negative press has an impact on success, even if ever so slightly.

well, sir, i present to you a few examples.

-- Deflategate.

-- Are the Browns any better even though they're on their third VP of communications since 2012.

-- A year after Ray Lewis pleaded guilty to obstruction charges in relation to a double-murder investigation, he was the NFL's defensive player of the year and Super Bowl MVP.

-- Last year's election.

To the same extent:

-- Is the Knicks PR staff to blame for what's gone wrong under Dolan?

-- Do the Baltimore Colts PR staff take heat for the team relocating to Indianapolis? Or the Chargers, now?

-- How much blame does the Sabres PR staff deserve when the team somehow and inexplicably failed to re-sign Drury and Briere?

-- The NFL fumbled the ball badly on Ray Rice. Was that the PR staff's miscue or Roger Goodell who, in a question posed by me at Canton that summer, insisted the league followed its suspension policy.

But blame the PR person for the follies of others.

jw

Of course executives, coaches and players affect wins and losses faaaaaar more than PR, nobody is questioning that.

I guess I think your job can have a real effect in subtle ways, and you do not. Fair enough.

If just one more Bills fan attends one more game because the PR is handled better, that seems like a good thing to me. Very minor of course compared to the actual football department doing their job.

Of course executives, coaches and players affect wins and losses faaaaaar more than PR, nobody is questioning that.

I guess I think your job can have a real effect in subtle ways, and you do not. Fair enough.

If just one more Bills fan attends one more game because the PR is handled better, that seems like a good thing to me. Very minor of course compared to the actual football department doing their job.

Or one more quality FA agreeing to consider signing with the Bills because they aren't worried that they're stepping into a dysfunctional mess.

JW is arguing with himself. I haven't seen anyone in this thread suggest that the PR dept is responsible for the shortcomings of the organization as a whole. That list of examples supporting his "argument" is meaningless. I don't see why it's so hard to believe that the PR dept has also made some mistakes along the way. I think that's all we're saying. I do also agree with you that generally speaking negativity and the perception of dysfunction do in fact affect some part of the overall whole even if it's minuscule.

PR doesn't affect the on the field product? It does if the organization is constantly being referred to as being a tire fire of dysfunction. Perception of an organization can discourage FAs from coming to visit or sign here based upon the presumption that the rumors and PFT articles they read are true. Managing and refuting this was Berchtold's job and he did a garbage job of it.

Wasn't that easier than just being a dick from the get go?

Still don't see where I insinuated all that but ok. I'm entitled to my opinion about the situation as are you.

Buddy, what are you talking about? John was more than fair in his assessment that this change in the organization doesn't have one iota to do with the product on the field. He wasn't campaigning to keep Scott where he is either. I believe you need to go re-read the posts in this thread.

PR doesn't affect the on the field product? It does if the organization is constantly being referred to as being a tire fire of dysfunction. Perception of an organization can discourage FAs from coming to visit or sign here based upon the presumption that the rumors and PFT articles they read are true. Managing and refuting this was Berchtold's job and he did a garbage job of it.

Again, LEADERSHIP is the reason for dysfunction. It was Scott's job for 30 years to manage that dysfunction in the public eye. The initial message in this thread was him stepping down would be huge for the team. Free agents come here for the money and opportunity, if anyone thinks they look at the media response and how they are viewed in the public makes a shiiit bit of difference you are sorely mistaken. Two years from now when we win the press conferences and the fans are happy buying into whatever they are being told - will that make a top flight free agent stop and say "those Bills pressers and media relations is why I want to be a part of the team". We are all Bills fans, we will all continue to support them regardless of the dysfunction, if not we all wouldn't be here tapping on a key board.

Buddy, what are you talking about? John was more than fair in his assessment that this change in the organization doesn't have one iota to do with the product on the field. He wasn't campaigning to keep Scott where he is either. I believe you need to go re-read the posts in this thread.

Again, LEADERSHIP is the reason for dysfunction. It was Scott's job for 30 years to manage that dysfunction in the public eye. The initial message in this thread was him stepping down would be huge for the team. Free agents come here for the money and opportunity, if anyone thinks they look at the media response and how they are viewed in the public makes a shiiit bit of difference you are sorely mistaken. Two years from now when we win the press conferences and the fans are happy buying into whatever they are being told - will that make a top flight free agent stop and say "those Bills pressers and media relations is why I want to be a part of the team". We are all Bills fans, we will all continue to support them regardless of the dysfunction, if not we all wouldn't be here tapping on a key board.

Your second statement has been refuted by multiple player comments throughout the years. The players who sign here often state that they didn't know a lot about the team other than the bad weather and reports that things were crazy and when they got here they found things to be different. If you're moving your family to a place, yes you are going to go mainly based on salary and a starting job, but they also need to look to the FO and how things are run. Scott had that job for 30 years and he did it poorly.

That's a small victory, the goons behind the mic fired the guy they payed to organize their PR. Maybe I'm not understanding the situation correctly. Is Whaley still in Charge? Do the Pegulas still want to mingle with the players? I don't think a communications guy from Philly can save us.

yes, attendance sure dropped off over the past two years.

jw

thanks, good poster.

jw

Your second statement has been refuted by multiple player comments throughout the years. The players who sign here often state that they didn't know a lot about the team other than the bad weather and reports that things were crazy and when they got here they found things to be different. If you're moving your family to a place, yes you are going to go mainly based on salary and a starting job, but they also need to look to the FO and how things are run. Scott had that job for 30 years and he did it poorly.

so, by comparison, Scott once did such a good job, he played a role in ensuring Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed stayed with the Bills, and then went on to attract the likes of Mario Williams, Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher to sign on with Buffalo.

now you've got me wondering if this move is fully tied to Tyrod Taylor's future in town.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

jeebers.

yes.

Scott was going to go on stage and stop Ralph Wilson from riffing with Marv about how "young" they were.

and of course, Scott is the one who pushed Mularkey out the door, and then hired Marv in hopes he would take over as coach before finally being reeled in by Ralph.

and it was Scott who insisted Donahoe go on the radio and call the fan "a jerk."

and he was behind the wheel of Lynch's car when he struck the pedestrian downtown.

and, of course, he actually pulled the mat out from under Kevin Kolb just at the moment he stepped on it, slipped and hurt his knee.

now the full story can be told.

:doh:

jw

WTF are you talking about? Stop with the spinning class.

Yep. Berchtold was the one holding us back all these years. Makes sense when you break it down and see he was the one common denominator in place before all the other common denominators were in place to give rise to all the current common denominators.

It makes too much sense to not be true!