Derek Boyko Named Vice President Of Communications

iommi

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but he is likely responsible for sending him out alone to look foolish. The VP of Communications should have stood up when that decision was made and said "no, everyone needs to be there and present a unified front". Berchtold was a yes man who indulged the people around him. You don't believe me just read the Tim Graham story about Berchtold cornering him for Doug Marrone.

Who's "everone"? You mean Pegula AND Whaley? Hmmm, given both of their strong public speaking gifts, that would have been some front.

No, Whaley made a fool of himself. No assist.

Who's "everone"? You mean Pegula AND Whaley? Hmmm, given both of their strong public speaking gifts, that would have been some front.

No, Whaley made a fool of himself. No assist.

At least try to be less willfully ignorant. You put people in a position to do their best or you don't. Whether or not Pegula is a passable public speaker (he is not) he should have been out there because that's simply what teams do. Indulging his need to not be out in public did Pegula no favors and didn't help him at all.

Berchtold has been inept, himself, for years. Can't it be both?

Has he?

How so?

At least try to be less willfully ignorant. You put people in a position to do their best or you don't. Whether or not Pegula is a passable public speaker (he is not) he should have been out there because that's simply what teams do. Indulging his need to not be out in public did Pegula no favors and didn't help him at all.

I'm sure Berchtold can just order Pegula to be out there.

Willful ignorance indeed.

I'm sure Berchtold can just order Pegula to be out there.

Willful ignorance indeed.

At a certain point in your professional life, and I truly hope you get there some day, you are not supposed to merely follow orders. Being a VP means you have a responsibility to the owner to tell him when he's making a mistake and convince him to do what's in the best interest of the franchise. A competent VP of Communications would be able to do this.

Nevertheless, Berchtold is also Ralph's trash. It would've been better if he was tossed to the curb, but this is still the best news coming out of OBD in a long time.

Fair enough, but Whaley's ability to successfully scapegoat everybody and anybody bodes ill for him leaving anytime soon.

At a certain point in your professional life, and I truly hope you get there some day, you are not supposed to merely follow orders. Being a VP means you have a responsibility to the owner to tell him when he's making a mistake and convince him to do what's in the best interest of the franchise. A competent VP of Communications would be able to do this.

How do you know he didn't beg Pegs to go and Pegs said no? He still owns the team, you know. Pegula still has final say, not Bertchold.

That's the point.

When a team has a longstanding history of poor relationship with the media and poor communication, you err on the side of history, not your devil's advocate position that they probably tried and Pegula is a moron and Berchtold suddenly became competent.